Salesforce Sales Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Salesforce Sales Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Salesforce

3.8

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Had a series of interviews over the course of a few weeks. Everyone was very friendly and very transparent in the process and next steps.

Interviews:
30 minute phone call with recruiter
1 hour phone interview with hiring manager
3-30 minute onsite interviews with other managers and a VP of department
1 hour long panel demo where I was given a case study and had to present to 6 different people acting as different members of the c-suite

Interview Questions

• During the panel interview they will ask you a handful of questions about your use case. It was important to ask qualifying questions back instead of answering the question right away and not getting caught up in the weeds to show you can control the room   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Met with my potential boss in person. Phone interviews with peers and sales manager that I would be supporting. Had to do a mock sales presentation based on a case study I received. 60 minute presentation included demo of SalesForce

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go from owning your own company to working for somebody else.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for SalesForce   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

As a remote employee, all interviews were over the phone. I was referred by another employee that I had previously worked with. Spoke with the hiring manager, HR Recruiter, two members of the sales team, another SE, and a director.
    The most nerve-wracking part of the process was preparing and presenting a live demo of functionality I built.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to be an SE?
      What did I like most about my current job?
      What is my learning style?
      Explain my sales experience.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

The following is my experience at the NYC and East coast offices:
    Pros:
    - Most of recruiters were very professional and responsive
    - Great successful product and smart tech teams.
    Cons:
    - For the in person interviews I sensed racial biases at the NYC office, they seem to do a good job with women equality, but seem to have subtle and widspread racial biases.
    - I sensed they have a great product and technical skilled teams and that pretty much makes up for all the other flaws that exist. For example: their management expertise is average and work-life balance seems to be below average.
    - They seem to have an arrogant attitude probably because they are #1 in their industry. At the panel interview, not even the least bit of a smile from most of them.
    - Overall, even though they have lots going for them, I didn't feel like a good fit because of subtle racial biases, lack of a supportive team environment (more task driven than people driven), average line manager expertise, and below average work-life balance.
    I am glad I didn't have to work for them because I got something better after sometime.

Interview Questions

• Thru your career choices do you have any regrets in the choices you made?   1 Answer

Salesforce Response

15 Dec 2017 – SVP, Global Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience. Equality is a core value for Salesforce, and we train our managers on inclusive hiring practices and ways to prevent biases. The information you've shared is... More

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Do you like wasting your time? Do you like begging for and receiving charity? Do you like dull managers? Do you like being low-balled on salary? Welcome to Salesforce.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. Asked usual questions and came to my salary and would not budge when I said I don't feel comfortable sharing it.
    Recruiter: "Finance won't let me proceed on interviews without your salary, its just our standard process. I just can't let you proceed with the next interview without that information."
    Right from the start they make you feel like they are doing charity for you and attempt to bully you. I didn't cave in and kept deflecting for later discussion on salary.

Next had a couple of phone screen interviews followed by on-site with managers. Sales Engineering Directors were outright dull in their responses to my questions.
    Me: "What's your favorite part about working at Salesforce?"
    SE Manager: "The people are just so great. We work hard, we have fun, its a nice company."
    That's really your best answer and way to inspire me on joining the company? So at all the other companies people aren't great, don't work hard and don't have fun? haha all their answers were just as dull.

Next was the final on-site presentation. They give you a week to prepare for it. They attempt to throw you off with random questions during the demo and won't let you finish within stipulated time. I wanted to laugh at how lame some attempts to waste time are. Overall I've given over 1,000 demos, I'm used to it. I kept going and finished in time, gained consensus from the room that it went well. They wouldn't provide any feedback though and we were out of time so I left. I emailed managers and HR about it repeatedly but no feedback.
    You're the candidate. After you spent 1 week preparing for the interview, deliver it on-site, how dare you ask for feedback? You're just a candidate among many. You should feel privileged and feel our charity should we decide to proceed with you towards an offer.

What came next was so appalling I couldn't have predicted. Recruiter delayed for 2 weeks without responding. I got another offer with a deadline during this time. Recruiter calls me on the day of my other offer deadline saying they need to interview all other candidates before making a decision. Are you kidding me? No presentation feedback yet and now making me feel like they would select me from a list of candidates and do me an charitable favor that I need to wait for.
    Recruiter: "I can't tell you what to do with your other offer but this is our process and we will need to wait for other interviews to be completed before making a decision. We need to wait for 4 more days."
    18 more days pass and not a word. I have given up, not bothered to even reach out to them because why beg for charity? I assumed its over, accepted the other companies' offer and couldn't have been happier.

Funnily enough, I finally hear from the recruiter saying they want to give me an offer. Haha sounds like the process and other candidates all worked out well.
    The fun part was they decided to offer me less than my current salary. Remember I never gave them my salary? They decided to low ball me. I thanked her for the time and said I won't be able to accept it because its less than my current salary.
    Recriter: "Okay tell us your current salary and we'll match it". Nah, thanks, I don't need you to do anything.

Trust me spend your time elsewhere, its not worth it. I'm just disappointed that a well-known company can be so broken and depressing. I read elsewhere that Salesforce is not the cutting-edge place it used to be. Now I got to experience it first hand. Good luck to their team, hopefully they will improve in the future.

Interview Questions

• They will try to throw you off with random questions during the demo, just keep calm and deflect.   Answer Question

Salesforce Response

27 Apr 2017 – SVP, Global Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience and bringing this to our attention. The etiquette and issues you encountered during your interview process are very disappointing. This review has been flagged... More

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in April 2014.

Interview

Lots of interviews. Nice people. Focus on previous roles. Many of the same questions across multiple interviews. Many interviews were trying to get to know me - my background, interests. Many questions focused on the culture fit.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Standard interview process for a Sales Engineer in the SaaS space:
    1 - Phone Screen
    2 - Phone interview with Hiring Manager
    3 - On Site multiple interviews. A case study is provided and you need to present PowerPoint and demo. They are very role-based during the mock case study asking difficult questions to see how you do under pressure.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a new client said they didn't want the product anymore, even after using a trial?   3 Answers

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce.

Interview

I had a total of 5 interviews. The first two were phone screening by a recruiter and then another HR person, the third was another phone screening by the hiring manager, the fourth was in person at the headquarters in SF, the fifth (final presentation round) was in person at the headquarters as well.

My first 4 interviews went extremely well. I struck a rapport with the interviewers and answered all of the behavioral questions flawlessly. The only difficult part was the fourth interview where high level manager in sales tried to give me a hard time by asking me to conduct a role play where he was my grandfather and I was his grandson setting up a VCR. The object was to have me explain a detailed technical concept to someone poorly equipped to comprehend the details. He kept asking follow up questions and pretending not to understand as a way to test me.

I got invited for a final round. It was a hypothetical sales presentation to a client team. It would be 30 minutes and I was given information on the fictitious company I would be selling to. They offered me a dry run to give a version of the presentation which would not be evaluated in their final decision. And we set the date for my actual final presentation (due to schedule limitations this was set almost a month later).

This is where things went south for me.
    * I planned 30 minutes worth of material, without building in time for questions
    * they intentionally interrupted me a lot which threw me off of my rehearsed pitch
    * They played hostile & skeptical
    * I was unable to finish my presentation & demo in the allotted time due to the interruptions
    * I did not take them up on the offer to do a "dry run", which in retrospect was a big mistake (although I made that calculated decision based on my availability and a desire not to 'appear weak' which very bad idea)
    * I believed all the elements in the story/context document I was provided were fictitious, but some of the elements were real such as Salesforce's competition Goldmine (which is what the client was currently using). Had I done enough research I would have spotted this and done a thorough analysis of the benefits of Salesforce over the current *real* product
    * I appeared to have a superficial knowledge of sales, and didn't use basic techniques such as creating a sense of urgency
    *because of them giving me a hard time they made me a little visibly/audibly nervous, they disliked this and became increasingly hostile (actually hostile, not just in the fictitious context)
    *I mostly prepared by giving my presentation to friends and family (who are not very critical), watching their online sales webcasts and creating really really nice slides (I prepared a lot, but not the right way).

I had a post-interview with the recruiter to talk about the process. He was very respectful and said the team thought I was a stunning candidate until I flubbed the final presentation. He did not offer any specific feedback though.

Interview Questions

• Was asked, "Is that how they present at <<my current employer>>" -- Intended as a derogatory quip   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Salesforce (New York, NY (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

Multiple phone/skype/in person interviews followed by onsite presentation interview where I had to deliver an actual demo to the team.

Interview Questions

• Given my success, why do I want to leave my former employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

Standard offer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (South San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

FIrst I spoke with a recruiter then the hiring manager. That was followed by a presentation to a couple of managers. Then a phone interview with a peer and an executive

Interview Questions

• Build a demonstration from a trial org and organize a presentation around it   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.