Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Shopify Interview Questions

Interviews at Shopify

2.8

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Very cumbersome interview process. Started with a HR screening (pretty standard questions on past experience, skills, interest, etc), then a coding exercise on CoderPad, then a life story interview, followed by another technical screening.

Interview Questions

• 1. Create a simple string manipulation function in Python
      2. Tell us your life story
      3. Code Conway's game of life in Python   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Interview

The interview was short but informative. Interviewer was warm and inviting but mentioned he had another interview so there would not be much time, so that made it feel rushed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position? Do you currently use Shopify?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)) in September 2020.

Interview

Fastest process I've experienced so far (my sample size isn't huge, I interviewed with 3 companies, coming from a giant big tech company that's very slow).
    1. Initial 30 min chat with a recruiter, who described the interview process in much detail, and determined what would be the best role/level fit. For SWE roles, it seems like they try to put you in one of Backend, Frontend/full stack, UX frontend. This is to ensure you have the max success when it comes to interviews (i.e. a frontend SWE interview might focus more on stuff like HTTP, web dev, etc)

2. First interview: coding assessment/screening. It was very easy, they mostly want to make sure you know how to code, before committing any further. No crazy algorithms, very basic. Booked for an hour but took 15 minutes + 10 min of me asking questions about their work/life.

3. Next round: life story.
    Many people are thrown off by this round, saying it's intrusive to the candidate. I see the purpose of this round in 2 fold:
    First, they want to assess you as a person in a high level, general, and holistic way. Yes, it helps if you like talking, and are generally a personable person. But no, I do not feel like this is something they use to filter out candidates who aren't extroverts (in fact I know quite a few introverted/quiet candidates who got the job).
    Second, this adds a bit of "white glove service" to their recruitment process. Imagine if a sales person in a shoe store helped you try on some shoes, and suggested other shoes that might fit better based on your shape/preferences that you told them, etc. Then if the price is right and you like the shoes, aren't you more likely to purchase them?

4. Next I entered a full day of "virtual onsite", consist of 3 interviews and a couple of breaks. There are 2 coding interviews (they call it pair programming), and 1 technical deep dive. The coding interviews are once again pretty straight forward, no fancy crazy algorithms here, you need to show that you know how to analyze a problem, briefly design, know how to test, write code, write some follow up questions, done. The technical deep dive is for you to go in depth about a project you've done. Provide as much technical details as (legally) possible. The interviewer will engage in the conversation based on your detailing.

Then a few days after that, they will get back to you regarding a decision.

Interview Questions

• Screening: very basic Map/String/numbers operation.

Life story round:
      How did you get into Software Engineering? What did you study at university/school? What prompted you to pursue this?
      I was also asked about my earlier years, i.e. what was it like growing up etc. Don't be offended by this, it's not necessarily them trying to probe you, more like a "white glove service" thing. If you would not like to talk about it, talk about something else and quickly skip over this.   Answer Question

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Very detailed interview process listed on their website. The conversation was much more of a casual personal conversation getting to know about my history vs a list of specific questions. Allowed for an engaging and comfortable experience.

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

The process was simple. There were 4 interviews in total

1. Introduction and getting to know you
    2. Life story
    3. Technical Deep Dive
    4. Technical Coding Test

In the end, everyone was really nice in answering my questions and interviewing me.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Too extensive process compared to the brand value. They somehow started to consider themselves as the best employer. 1 Life Story, 1 coding exercise, 2 pair programming, 1 technical deepdive and 1 problem solving. Interviewee or Recruiter might lure you by recording wrong responses. It's not worth spending time for the interview process. Juniors can interview seniors and record wrong responses when they actually made an error. Would never interview for them again. There are many more great companies who respect candidates time and have better and open work culture. Managers and recruiters has their own egos if you deny them. Extremely small mentality mindset company with bad interview ethics. Interviewing with multiple people on the team I realized DS were mostly glorified DAs. Offer was not great as well for my profile.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

Phone screen, life story and product case study. Everyone was nice and it was straightforward. Case study has to do with their business so good to understand it well before jumping in to the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about executing this idea?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I interviewed at Shopify in July 2020.

Interview

TL;DR avoid Shopify. There are a lot better companies out there.

I should have read the Glassdoor feedback here before even starting the interview process. Yes, it was indeed a waste of time. I had to contact the recruiter multiple times to get feedback, otherwise they would have happily ignored me, after having interviewed, without telling me the interview outcome. Very, very unprofessional.

Recruiter contacted me and chatted about about my background and why I was interested in Shopify. At the end of that conversation she was trying to get expected salary info from me, which I pointed out is an illegal question to ask in the State I live in. That was awkward, but I had to stand up for myself.

I had then a 1h technical interview and then puff, nothing for a while. Disappeared. After some pings the recruiter bothers to get back to me with the template regret answer. Such an unprofessional way to manage relationship.

Interview Questions

• Algorithmic question using Python. Some basic operation on a list with a few corner cases to think about.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shopify in June 2020.

Interview

Overall, the people I spoke with were very nice, so I can't say it was a negative experience, but I get the feeling that the Data Scientist role here is more of a Data Analyst role. There were a lot of analytics-type questions, but very minimal probing of technical skills during the interview. I feel like as long as you are strong at analytics, say the right things, and don't challenge anyone during the interview, you should be fine. Some of the leads have strong backgrounds and skillsets, but others have limited experience, both technically and in management.

Interview Questions

• Analytics questions such as, how do you know if this product is successful   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I interviewed for a UX / Web Developer role at Shopify. It took about 4 months, including a full day (8 hour) onsite in Toronto, 2 video pair programming, and 5 phone interviews. Overall it was an extremely negative experience, I found the code assessment developers (all white male “tech bro” types) to be seriously bias against women. I am an experienced Software Engineer and the Shopify developers I spoke with condescendingly talked down to me, aggressively interrupted me, and did not allow me to speak or demonstrate my skills. The recruiters I worked with were extremely slow and unreliable to response to emails and quite frankly, wasted my time - requiring me to do a total of 7 video/phone interviews in addition to fly internationally for a full 8 hour onsite interview before eventually rejecting me for a position.

I warn other women / POC developers and engineers to avoid Shopify. They will waste your time and disrespect you with their long, chaotic, and extremely bias interview process. My experience over 4 months and many long hours, and long emails with the Shopify hiring system - it is clearly a system designed to only hire more white male “tech bro” developers.

Don’t waste your time with their bias interview process that disrespects candidates.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.