Square Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Square Interview Questions

Interviews at Square

Product Manager Interview

Interview

This was one of the worst interview experiences I have had. The recruiter was extremely unresponsive and I had to drive everything forward myself. I would hear back every 3rd email and they seemed annoyed that I was following up. Luckily I had multiple offers and didn't need to wait on them. This experience was jumbled and they couldn't decide what team I would be best for and couldn't provide any feedback or insights along the way either. Very disappointed in Square. I ended up taking an offer with a small start up who surprisingly seemed to have their act together better than this tenured post IPO company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about what you were doing at your last company   Answer Question

Ecommerce Interview

Interview

I applied for this position online and another similar position to this. I got an email a week later saying "Position is no longer available". Exactly 2 hours later after I receive the same email for both positions...they re-posted BOTH jobs. This company is absolutely rude, unprofessional and disrespectful. Just simply say not interested. That was just totally dirty for doing that.

Android Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square in July 2020.

Interview

I was given a choice between an initial phone technical interview or a 4-5 hour take-home project. I chose the take-home project because with a phone interview you never know what random tricky question they'll throw your way. I put in a bunch of hours over a week into the project and came up with a decent implementation. Then after I submitted I didn't hear anything back for two weeks. When I pinged the recruiter I got a short "we have decided to not move forward." I felt confused and somewhat offended that that's all I got in response after putting in all that time. I know I did a good job on the project so it's perplexing. I feel like I at least deserved to be able to explain the code to the engineer that did the code review.

Interview Questions

• Implement a pretty standard screen with a recyclerview with image and some text that comes from a json endpoint.   Answer Question

Lead Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I applied online first. It took a week and nothing happened. Accidentally I saw a connection of mine on Linkedin sharing the same job ad from the hiring manager. I used that and managed to get to the hiring manager directly. While we were discussing a few things, literally at the same time, I got an auto mail from a recruiter that they found a person and were no longer interviewing. Quite strange I thought since my profile and resume matched as much as to get to at least a screening call. But then I thought .. who would know what their criteria were.
    Anyway, a couple of excuses from the hiring manager and the recruiters for the misunderstanding and I managed to land in a call with the hiring manager. It was great. A great guy, knew his stuff, all went well. Obviously he thought so too since I got a follow-up email from the recruiters to talk to another guy in a week's time. The focus of the call would have been "strategy". I didn't care to ask what exactly was meant by "strategy" since the only thing I could think of, given the position I was applying for, was strategy for the product that I was supposed to be a leading PM for. But, I was wrong. The second interview with a guy at the same level as the hiring manager, but on a different product, was totally different. Strategy was a topic but rather general strategy on how I select which products to work on. Anyway, I was a bit disappointed since I had put some efforts to think about particular details about the product strategy for what I was applying.
    I got an email letting me know they have a better match and thank you notes along with it.
    All in all, the general feedback from applying and interviewing was ok, but recruiters were incompetent and misled me in preparing for the interview. Also, it's worth calling a candidate in person when he progresses with the interviews rather than send a mail template with the click of a button.

Interview Questions

• What criteria do you use to select what product to work on?   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

The recruiter did not call during our scheduled first round phone screen. He did not reach out with any update or attempt to reschedule until after the weekend. Phone screen went normal and moved on to the next round which was a b2b interview with a peer and direct manager. I reached out to the recruiter for advice on how to prepare for the role on a Monday for the Friday interview and there was no response from the recruiter.

I went into the Friday interview blind not knowing what the conversations were going to be about. Both interviewers were extremely nice and I felt the conversations were great.

On Monday, the recruiter reached out to set up a time for feedback. I asked to schedule a time and had not received a response. 3 days later, I received a no-reply saved text email from the cash app team saying they moved forward with other candidates.

It's great they found a better fit but I would have loved more communication from the recruiter and feedback on the entire process. It's tough leaving an interview feeling like it went well and ending up not getting the job without any context whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about people management strategy.   2 Answers

Credit Policy and Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied for the position on their website and heard back about two weeks later. I scheduled a first round phone screen with a recruiter for the next morning using a self-schedule link. The time of the interview came and went and I didn't receive a call. I waited the full work day expecting to receive an email from the recruiter asking to reschedule, but never got one. I had no way to get in contact with them (the email they contacted me from was notifications@ so not specific to them, and they required you know their personal email address to add them on LinkedIn) so I rescheduled the interview using the same link provided. They responded the next morning claiming that they had called me at the scheduled time, and that because they never heard back from me they "moved on with additional candidates who were in the final interview stage." I hypothesize that they forgot to call, didn't want to admit it, and came up with this story as it doesn't seem reasonable that they would schedule a first round with a candidate and 24 hours later had multiple candidates in the final stage of the process.

Going forward Square should be emailing candidates immediately if the candidate misses the scheduled call or if the recruiter is unable to make the call altogether. I was really excited about the opportunity to work with Square, but after this experience I absolutely do not feel the same.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Square.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter on LinkedIn. The message they sent was very unprofessional with many errors but since I was recently laid off and looking for work I agreed to connect with them. Our call was standard but they did share some concerning information. I asked about diversity at Square and they told me that they must interview one diverse candidate for each job before extending offers. Isn't this reverse discrimination? So if I am qualified for a job I won't get hired so they can fill a quota? Seems like reverse discrimination. They also could not answer any of my questions around company culture and how they are adapting in this new environment.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next role?   4 Answers

Square Response

29 May 2020 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for submitting your questions and concerns and your interest in diversity at Square.

At Square, inclusion and diversity is incredibly important to us, and our approach to increasing diversity is to bring more underrepresented candidates into the interview pipeline for consideration. We do not have any hiring quotas based on protected traits. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, and our hiring decisions are based solely on skills, experience, and talent.

We can assure you that Square does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or any protected characteristics in our assessment process for candidates.

If you’re interested in learning more about our company culture and inclusion and diversity programs you can find more information at https://squareup.com/us/en/l/diversity.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Square in June 2020.

Interview

30 min Phone Screen with Recruiter
    1 hour Technical Phone Screen
    1 hour Technical Phone Screen

All the blogs square has about their interviews talk about how they don't do whiteboard questions and they do pair programing and use real life questions. But from everything I observed it is whiteboard programing just done in coderpad and disguise as a "real world problem". Let me be very clear n-sum is not a "real world problem"

Recruiter was fairly slow to get back to me, sometimes upwards of a week. I guess this is just becoming industry standards now, but overall was very friendly and helpful. Much better experience than most places I have interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the way it was phrased but basically it was n sum problem. Calculate the numbers in a list that add up to the sum given.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Square in June 2020.

Interview

The recruiter was unresponsive and no showed to 2 interviews blaming Google Calendar for the mishaps. When we spoke they used profanity and were very unprofessional. They said they would move me in to the next round but I never heard back about getting this scheduled even after I emailed several times to follow up. Very disappointing.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Square in June 2020.

Interview

I am a pretty experienced professional of color and am used to tech companies wanting to hire me to check a diversity box. The conversation I had with Square took this to a new level. Both the recruiter and hiring manager went into their commitment to diversity on their teams before I had even asked about it and before we had even discussed the job I was interviewing for. So because I'm "diversity" that's all I get to learn about? What about the business itself? What about my qualifications? It was especially strange because when I researched the team I found zero people of color which shows that this is purely lip service...

Interview Questions

Square Response

1 Jul 2020 – Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for interviewing with Square and sharing your concern.

We appreciate your feedback as your experience does not align with our intent or our policies. We do not have any hiring quotas based on protected traits. While we strive to expand our pipeline with diverse candidates, we evaluate all candidates based on their job related skills, experience, and talent.

As such, our recruiters and hiring managers seek candidates of all backgrounds while sharing information about our business, our products, and our company.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.