St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Interview Questions

Updated 1 Jun 2018

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)).

Interview

I applied online in January, had a phone screen interview (which lasted about 45 minutes) in February, and was invited to a full day group panel interview in Memphis in March. I had to fly myself out and pay for my own flight and stay. I received the offer by the end of March and had a week to accept.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions - provide concrete examples; St. Jude history   Answer Question

2 Apr 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for the review and congrats on the job offer!

Patient Care Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

I think the interview process was very enjoyable. Everyone was so welcoming and they feed me a lot of good information about the job. I felt very relaxing during my interview thanks to Ms. Kin in HR contagious spirit.

Interview Questions

• How will do I work under stress?   1 Answer

4 Jan 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience with St. Jude. Congratulations on accepting your offer! We hope you are enjoying your position so far.

Radiation Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone screen followed by a Skype interview. Everything seemed fine. The first warning sign though was a request to provide multiple years of performance reviews. I have excellent performance reviews but this struck me as being out of the ordinary. But, I was going to roll with it and thought this must just be something they have found to be beneficial in the past. Then came the discussion surrounding salary. Let's say it was one of the most unprofessional salary discussions I have ever had. The person was rude and condescending. I asked for the salary range so I could decide whether it was acceptable to me or not (their salary range is apparently confidential) and then they continued by pointing out one area of experience I lacked in (basically to chastise me for asking for a salary in the same ballpark as what I am currently paid). There may certainly be differences on salaries or expectations during the job interview process. However, the attitude surrounding this discussion was unprofessional and rude. It speaks poorly for the department (and the institution) as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing you are most proud of?   1 Answer

21 Nov 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your interview experience for this position. Discussions regarding salary can be tricky. Many candidates that we interview may currently be... More

Pca Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process was great. First I had a phone interview to see if I would be good fit for the department. Next, I got a second call to come for a second interview in person . During the interview I was asked a series of questions, in which I answered. After that I was called back in a couple of days back from HR.

Interview Questions

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Brief, professional and convenient during my working hours because it was in the very next building. The hiring process moved quickly and I was available to start exactly when I was needed.

Interview Questions

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)).

Interview

Typical phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with the hiring manager and a few other key decision makers, then an on-site interview.

The in-person interview process was very disorganized from start to finish. I was given conflicting information about hotel reservations and had to look up my reservation numbers myself with the hotels directly. When I arrived, the first interviewer wasn't at work that day and they left me in the room by myself for 30 minutes. I was interviewed by someone who wore a clinic white coat when this person doesn't remotely work in a clinical setting or see patients. (Honestly I think it was a sad power play) I was interviewed by someone who clearly got their interview questions by Googling "questions to ask in an interview". I was interviewed by someone who for most of the interview time just had a conversation with the previous interviewer instead of, you know, asking me questions or having a conversation - I just sat there watching the two of them talk. I was interviewed by someone who filled in for one of my future direct reports who was 'out sick' that day and proceeded to tell me about how morale was very low. Pretty sure it was a passive aggressive sick day by the original interviewer. I asked pretty basic questions of the interviewers regarding organizational structure and not a single one could give me a coherent answer. The hiring manager and the hiring manager's boss were cool and I could see myself working for them, but the rest was just really odd.

After the interview they asked for my references, but this was before having any other conversation about an offer. Let me be clear - they ask for and contact references even if you are not going to get an offer. HUGE red flag. They specifically want current coworker references, which, if you're trying to keep your job search on the down-low, is basically impossible. (The reference process was a joke though - an anonymous web survey sent to the email addresses you provide, very easy to fake if you're dishonest and so inclined. I did it legitimately and honestly but was exceptionally offended.) After deciding this isn't the type of place I'd like to work, unfortunately it was after I had already called in all my references. It's embarrassing because now I have to go explain why they were asked for a reference and I don't actually work there.

Any of these things in a vacuum is easy to overlook. However, there was a very clear pattern of disorganized and unprofessional behavior. Clearly St. Jude does amazing work but I feel they are the epitome of egotistical, and perhaps if you have enough applicants for every position they will always find someone willing to accept lousy treatment. However, they seem to forget that an interview is a TWO-WAY decision. I don't feel I was treated respectfully or in an organized way and declined further consideration. For example, it's been over 6 weeks and my interview expenses still aren't reimbursed despite following up numerous times. If an organization can't get the interview process right, I have no reason to believe it would be better once on board.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words.   4 Answers
    • How would you describe your management style? (asked repeatedly)   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work at St. Jude?   3 Answers

Organization is disorganized and not respectful to candidates.

9 Oct 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to interview at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and for posting a review of your interview experience. Your review helps us identify the areas where we may need... More

Radiation Therapist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in September 2017.

Interview

Had to provide multiple references from current employer. The radiation therapy community is tight knit and competitive. I love my current job but wanted the interview experience for professional growth and potential for a new opportunity. I had a generic phone screening interview with a recruiter who knew nothing about the field. Two weeks later I had a Skype interview with two directors and chief therapist. It was awkward as I felt that I was being criticized and not interviewed. One director dominated the entire interview and she was demeaning. I was asked about my current pay. At the end, I was insulted and knew I did not want to ever work there!

Interview Questions

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

21 Nov 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review your interview experience with St. Jude. We are deeply sorry that you had such a negative interview experience with us. We assure you that your work... More

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Job qualification check with HR via phone
    Designated recruiter from HR to assist during process
    Extensive online job application
    Two onsite interviews; one with senior management and one with hiring manager
    Informal interviews with job specific questions from hiring managers

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with disputes that arise in the course of project execution?   Answer Question

2 Apr 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for the review!

Environmental Services Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was cordial and conversational. The interview was with a manager and the director of environmental service department. They asked fairly basic questions. They inquired about your personal/managerial strength's, weakness's and situational decision making. Overall, I felt at ease and comfortable. They just wanted to know how I would fit in and how my leadership would contribute to there mission to have a "St Jude" clean hospital.

Interview Questions

• You have 16 employees. 4 call in sick. How do you motivate the remaining crew to still accomplish the mission?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

Interview

It was competitive and good. Questions related to my project was being asked. My work experience was examined. The reason for leaving my previous employment was also asked. My superviving skills were also examined.

Interview Questions

• Why am I interested in SJCRH?   1 Answer

7 May 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! I hope your job here is going well!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.