US Department of State Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated 17 Jul 2017

Medical Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applying through USA Jobs, interview focuses on validating answers on the application and how one might approach problems related to the job. There were structured scenarios related to the potential position, with a goal to connect prior experience to the job description, duties and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience in overseas environments and structured scenarios related to the potential job.   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at US Department of State (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

All day interview divided into three parts-- written problem solving exercise, personal group panel, and a mock negotiation with other applicants. Suggestions: (1.) Join a study group online. There are a ton of them and are super helpful. (2.) Be sure to have a written copy of your essay. You will be eliminated immediately if you do not have it. (3.) Smile. Be friendly and do not expect your interviewers to show any emotions toward you.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with a policy that your regular duties mandated you enforce?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Over the phone, there were three people on my call. They were all very friendly and mostly asked for more details about my resume and abilities and knowledge of the region in which I would be working

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application, the Office of Human Resources reviewed my application materials. Once they determined I was qualified for the position, the hiring official arranged an in-person interview, which lasted about an hour

Interview Questions

• What kind of employee would not want to work for you   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Applied online at USA Jobs. Didn't hear back for a while. Was randomly called by hiring manager to phone interview with no preparation. Was asked a few questions and described what their office does specifically.

Interview Questions

• What are some current economic policies that you are following, describe at time when you multi-tasked the best, what is your understanding of the various geographical regions.   Answer Question

FSO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

Foreign service exam, essays, group and individual interviews, waiting list. This is a fixed, long and complex process - with less than 5% of original applicants making it off of the waiting list. The total time can be 12-24 months, and you can retry the exam if you fall out of the process. In the end, it is worth the wait, as the job is a unique lifestyle and opportunity.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Small phone interview, just to gauge fit and assess your thinking process when it comes to diplomacy. Most of the questions will come from the material you submit, the rest will be standard thinking questions to get you to think out loud.

Interview Questions

• Is there a time and place for "dirty hands" in politics?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State in December 2016.

Interview

My interviewer only asked me one question and spent the remainder of the call complimenting me on how impressive my qualifications were. The interview was much easier than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, your work experiences, coursework, and anything else that may be relevant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

They contacted me asking when would be a good time for an interview over the next two days. They responded immediately and I heard back about the results for the position the following day.

Interview Questions

• Typical background questions, what can you bring to the position, what do you hope to get out of it etc.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of State (New York, NY (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied March 2017 on USA Jobs website . Checked USA jobs for application update and it said referred. A few weeks later got a phone call to interview. Interview just discussed resume and intentions for internship.

Interview Questions

• Is there room for "dirty hands" in the State Department   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.