University of New England Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

University of New England Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at University of New England

1 Interview Review

1.0

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biddeford Pool, ME (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of New England (Biddeford Pool, ME (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied for an Administrative Assistant position in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. I submitted my application on their online job platform, which requires the applicant to upload a cover letter and resume, as well as fill out a separate application answering a variety of questions (as well as re-enter your entire resume, which is redundant and needlessly time consuming when you are already uploading a resume). I received a call from a recruiter about a week or so later. The recruiter asked me to schedule a time for a phone screen. The recruiter was not at all personable and made me feel as if speaking with me was a chore. This was how all interactions following felt.

On the day of the phone interview, I was surprised by the two additional individuals who were there in the room for the phone screen, because the recruiter failed to inform me who I would be speaking with. I was prepared and comfortable enough but personally I think it's unprofessional not to inform a candidate who they'll be speaking with.
My phone screen lasted approximately 15 minutes. I was asked about my take on customer service and about a time where I had to learn from a mistake at work, and that was the extent of the questions they had for me. I came prepared with questions to ask, but for either lack of interest on their end or failure to engage them on my end, their responses were rather short and that was the end of the phone screen.
I was invited for an interview and went in for the in person the following week. I met again with the same three individuals (though I was yet again not informed, though at that point I had come to expect it). I enjoyed our conversation well enough, yet found their interview questions leaving much to be desired. I didn't feel as though they had much of an interest in getting to know me or really having a conversation with me, meanwhile I've had phone screens longer than my entire in person interview at UNE. It lasted approximately 25 minutes. I was asked very generic questions similar to those in my phone screen, such as what attracted me to UNE, and what my take on customer service was. I felt as though I really had to push through a wall to get to a place in the conversation where I could detail my skills and experiences. I was also asked a curve ball question "what animal would you be?". I understand that 1. recruiters tire of asking the same boring questions, and 2. it is often a test to see how one will react as much as it is a window into one's personality, but it felt incredibly infantile - like something I would ask a small child. I've had other questions like "what book is on your nightstand" that provide similar illumination into a candidate's personality and ability to think on their feet, but by using questions that are actually interesting and relevant.
I was then told I would receive word about the final decision within the next week, which did not happen. After inquiry via email I was told in strategically vague language that they were in their final processes and that I would be contacted if anything else was required of me. No follow up to formally inform me that they had chosen another candidate. From a recruitment standpoint I find this very unprofessional. I understand if I wasn't the right fit, but at least give me the courtesy of informing me and not leaving candidates hanging.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.