VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at VMware

1,626 Interview Reviews

3.1

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

Started with a resume review where my resume was instantly rejected due to lack of "relevant experience" (was not so but what can you do?), was able to back door back into the process which then included a phone screen and then an interview with the hiring manager

Senior Revenue Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in August 2020.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter with phone interview, things went well and I proceeded to have 5 interviews. First I passed interview with the revenue manager and then I had 4 other interviews with team members and managers. Overall good experience just lengthy due to the pandemic issues, seem like a good team to work with

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with asc606   1 Answer

Sr Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

Got an invite from the recruiter to complete a 90 min hacker rank test. The test had 1 question and easy. Then the recruiter scheduled a technical phone screen with a code pair.

The interviewer didn't ask any technical questions but asked me to solve a problem which is hard to understand with an irrelevant example.

I did interview with this company even before They focus more on asking some puzzles. for ex - asking to write a digital clock program rather than the core programming concepts.

Interview Questions

• A class has a methods and calls other methods. Find the path if exists from method A to method B   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

I attended a phone interview. I got the opportunity via linkedin.
    It was a coding round with coderpad. I was also asked the test cases validating this problem.
    It was a medium interview if one has seen this before.

Interview Questions

• Given two strings, find the longest common Substring   1 Answer

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware in June 2020.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and said the Hiring Manager wants to talk to me. The recruiter was prompt in arranging calls and rescheduling it due to HM's schedule. It was a video call and I was well dressed up and was expecting atleast professional attire from the HM for the call. The call started well by introduction from me and the job role and responsibilities discussion.
    He asked few problems which their team is facing in their automation project and how I would take the approach to solve it. I did gave my approach in details, but it seems he did not like the approach.
    The most negative point was his family members moving around in front of the camera during the call and looking at me in the camera. It was so embarrassing and distracting for me.
    The HM was constantly getting distracted from the interview and was chatting or replying to mails.
    The interviewer needs to understand that if we are taking out our valuable time for the interview , then the interviewer also needs to respect our time.
    Did not accept this from a top company like VMWare. Hope they take a note of it.

Interview Questions

• Multiple Test Suites are running, how to extract results from each execution and classify in different modules   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Hackerrank with multiple choice and coding exercise, then on-site with four technical interviews. Focused on systems knowledge and algorithms, no questions harder than Leetcode medium/easy. Recruiter called within a week with an offer.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

Interview process was a bit chaotic and disjointed. Received an email from HR saying they were moving on with other candidates and then a few days later an email from the hiring mgr to say that they would like to have me talk to other folks. The right hand didn't seem to know what the left hand was doing.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (San Diego, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

Week 1: Application submission via employee referral
    Week 2: Recruiter email asking to speak with me and recruiter phone screening
    Week 3: Zoom interview with hiring manager
    Week 4: Zoom interviews with 3 team members
    Week 6: Offer received

Overall, the recruiters and interviewers were extremely professional. The recruiters were prompt in their responses and made sure to keep me in the loop with the process. One thing that struck me about the interviewers was that they all genuinely appeared to be happy employees. It's rare to speak with people who can endlessly list the reasons why they love working for their company.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working in cross-functional teams?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Screened by HR recruiter. First interviewed with hiring manager (Director) then additional interviews setup after passing this 'gate'. Interviewed with three additional leaders at Director level. Process started slow after screening with recruiter then accelerated when interviewing with leadership.

Interview Questions

• Share experience defining KPI's and measuring success of project?   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in June 2020.

Interview

Absolutely terrible.

First of all, they pick a few "hards" from Leetcode to ego trip themselves. No racial diversity--all are guys from India (except one white guy) who can't understand the big picture viewpoint. I don't think they even knew what they were asking at one point.

First interview -- Random leetcode question that could've been solved using a recursive solution. No one ever uses a recursive solution in the real world! I told interviewer how bad recursive solutions are in the real world and why they're so slow, regardless of Big-Oh runtime. He tells me to do it recursively anyways. So I proceed and finish. Has smug look on his face. So I do it using a better CPU cache-friendly way in 30 seconds and he's left flabbergasted, like his Leetcode solution didn't tell him about that.

Second interview -- Build a TinyURL clone. Guy trips over himself trying to explain to me REST methods. Tells me I should use a queue like Kafka, and I politely tell him that none is needed even at huge scale since the GET/POST will be so fast when using Redis behind the scenes. I get a smug look from guy when he tells me they instead use Postgres and SQL Server. They wrote their app on relational databases and now they are struggling to figure out why it doesn't scale! So of course they believe moving to microservices is the only solution. NO! Your database is dog slow and that's what slowing down your app! Moving to microservices won't help that. Adding more latency doesn't make your app faster. Architect guy doesn't get it or understand. Just reminds me they're hiring more people to move to microservices so their app can be faster. Okay dude, whatever.

Third and final interview was with a manager from India. Couldn't understand what the guy was saying. But at that point, I was turned off by the "bro" culture that I was determined this was going to be a 'hard pass' for me. The lack of diversity, not just racially but the lack of understanding outsiders perspectives, the lack of empathy or credible questions was a turn off. I simply got the feeling they were going through the motions of interviewing me just so they could try to bring in another H-1B from India.

To make it even better, I went back to my current employer's IT dept who is reviewing our Airwatch contract renewal. I told them about their plans to move to microservices in addition to their lack of diversity and convinced them to cancel our 5,000 seat renewal. We're switching to Microsoft Intune because of this poor interview experience!

Interview Questions

• Design and Write a Tiny URL clone.   1 Answer