VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at VMware

1,425 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

Overall I had 5 phone interviews that took about 6 hours and 5 one-on-one and group interviews On site that took about 5 hours

I was contacted by a recruiter after about a month after submitting an application online. The recruiter was extremely nice and incredibly helpful. The inital recruiter screening went well and I was told it would be progressing.

I was contacted a couple of days later by one of the senior guys on the team. It was a fun discussion about goals, ambitions, history, experience and expectations. The call lasted about an hour.

I then had a further thee phone interviews over the coming week, including a pair programming technical test with an highly skilled engineer from outside the team.I really enjoyed the banter and the attitude from everyone, it was exactly the right mix of knowledge, skill work ethic and fun.

The onsite interviews were excellent fun, I met with all the senior players, including my bosses, bosses, boss. There was a lot of white board drawing, solutions questions & scalability questions. Everyone was extremely nice and engaging, I actually enjoyed myself and never once felt out of place or out of my league. The interviews were typically 45m to an hour each, some were group chats, others were 1:1

I left feeling excited and highly motivated. It was a very pleasant experience.I liked everyone I met.

Interview Questions

• What bottleneck challenges do you think we would face is this architecture was scaled up x50,000   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated a higher salary and position using some soft skills. Some good advice is to not ask for anything directly, steer the conversation in that direction without being direct. If you demand something, its more likely to be rejected.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA (US)) in June 2011.

Interview

2 rounds of telephonic
    1 round online
    Onsite 1:1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

Find the convergence point of 2 linked list

Interview Questions

• Find the convergence point of 2 linked list   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

I was called by the HR. And the HR was asking personal questions in very diplomatic way, trying to get to know if I was married! It sounded very weird. Later had an technical interview and the interviewer didn't acknowledge whatever I was explaining, and mentioned I will be contacted within 4-5 days. Never got a call back. Emailed HR to follow up and never received any reply. Apparently the HR now is with drop box!

Tech question: few complex recursive problems and asked the output and complexity.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

I started out interviewing on my college campus and thought I did ok. I was then invited to an on-campus interview and interviewed with two different people and thought they both went pretty well.

Interview Questions

• The questions where pretty easy compared to other interviews I had. Fibonacci sequence ( I did O(n) version),find the intersection of two lists, get all the leaf nodes of a binary tree. What is restful protocol.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Questions

• Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Interview

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

Interview

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.