VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at VMware

1,581 Interview Reviews

3.1

TAM Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in October 2019.

Interview

Polite, kind, and intelligent interviewer! Knew her stuff and was seemingly interested in my opinions and knowledge on topics. Asked me both technical and nontechnical questions and was very informative

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter online through Piazza, then went through a brief screening process. They sent an online coding assessment with 3 multiple choice questions (CS topics) and 3 coding problems. After getting through that, I was invited to their Atlanta location to undergo a series of interviews (4 total, each a mixture of technical and behavioral questions).

Interview Questions

• Given two balanced binary trees, tree A and tree B, determine if B is a subset of A. Tree A has a very large number of nodes (e.g., 1 million), and tree B has a much smaller amount of nodes (e.g., 1000).   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Applied for new grad software engineer role.
    Finish OA.
    Got invited to onsite.
    Rejected.
    Now the fun part. The flight ticket they bought me was invalid! I bought a new one myself and asked them to reimburse. They said yes and then disappeared! Iooped in a university recruiter, then the coordinator suddenly replies to me again. But she is still not reimbursing it for me. She didn't say no but she won't do it. After 6 months, I sent a email with very angry tone, and looped in another hr, and they finally reimbursed! Such mot**er fu**ers! I've also seen people on blind complaining about VMWare not reimbursing expense. Stay the **** away from VMWare if you are not desperate to get a job!

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Online hackerrank interview first, then 4 45 min interviews onsite. There was a lot of sitting around with other candidates, one of the interviewers seemed stressed out. I should have prepared for anything other than operating systems questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

Interview

1) Coding Assessment - 90 minutes to finish 2 coding questions and 3 multiple choice questions. Pretty standard and fair algorithms and data structures concepts tested.

2) Onsite Hiring event - 4 rounds of 45 minute interviews with various VMWare engineers. Each round contains trivia questions about OS concepts and 2 white board questions. It was very technical heavy so make sure you know OOP, algorithms and data structures, operating systems, and your projects on your resume in detail.

Unlike other technical interviews, the interviewer does not help you when you are struggling with the problems, so make sure you explain your process well.

Got a verbal offer 2 business days after and a written offer 2 weeks after.

Interview Questions

• Write code to do an inorder BST traversal with recursion and without recursion. Explain in which case you would choose one implementation over the other. Explain the runtime of each.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Hr Phone
    Technical Phone: Used code pair for coding.
    He was very friendly and told me that the structure of the interview.
    If any question for the interviewer
    First on my technical skills - Explain your experience with Spring Spring boot?
    Explain something about Microservices
    What is mircro-services architectures do you know?
    Asked based on what I told. How would different services communicate with each other.
    Onsite interview: 5 Rounds with different panels (45 minutes each) - one on one
    Several questions on the development process like Jira & scrum and HR.

Process Excellence Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Was directly called for f2f interview, no screening was done on the phone. On reaching, interviewers themselves were confused as so which time slot I was supposed to be in. One of them even asked me if I was late, the other apologized since an earlier candidate had come in late.

The first round went well where I was explained about the role and asked questions about my fit. The second interviewer kept interrupting every answer I was giving and felt like he was hurrying through the entire process. Overall a very demotivating experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions on some six sigma basics   Answer Question
    • Situation based questions- biggest project, challenges faced, how do you influence someone etc.   Answer Question

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware in August 2019.

Interview

Either they have no idea what to ask to filter a candidate they are looking for or they are training a new interviewer at the expense of the jobseekers.

Their questions are entry-level questions. You can easily succeed in the first draft.

I did not expect this from VMWare. I have been in IT for a few years and I had a respect for the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. SQL- given two tables [Person] and [Address]. Find every person's first name, last name, and address. It is a left join question.
      2- Reverse a string - (asked him if I can use StringBuilder and he is not happy, so I used the iteration method)   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

I applied for an Automation QA role. It was a 3 week interview process. I was referred by an employee.
    1. Hiring Manager phone call - general experience questions
    2. Coding Interview - On hacker-rank. you will be given a question and ask to execute the code and get the correct result. so main/driver function would also need to be written.
    3. Onsite Interview - 5 rounds of an hour each, wrapped up in a single day. Mostly around programming and experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. Coding interview on hacker rank - Reverse a string using linked list
      2. Onsite - Print all pairs in an array that sum up to a given value
            Prime Numbers   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional and careless. HR called for scheduling interview and she was sounding bit rude and was in a hurry. However, the 1st technical round went really well, Answered & executed all the questions & programs except for 1.

Waited 2 weeks for the update but no reply from HR, then dropped an Email to verify and came to know that I was not selected for the 2nd round and they are looking for some strong programming background. I asked the HR to recheck with the team again as all my programs were executed correctly and in the correct approach but she didn't reply.

This was really shocking for me. Upon further investigating, I came to know that they don't save the interview details and it's entirely up to the interviewer to decide. So now I have no way to ask them to go back and check my codes.

I wonder how can a big company have such weak interview process? How can a single person without the code review with the team or manager decide when all the programs executed are correct?

This was a terrible experience for me.