VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.3

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

They scheduled a telephonic interview. Them Rescheduled that stating non availability of the panel. In second time, I waited for 15min in the call but nobody joined. Didn't get any response from recruiter also.
Please respect the time given by the candidates from there schedules.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. After a brief initial phone conversation, the recruiter sent me a link for online assessment that had 2 coding questions(Leetcode medium and hard).
    This was followed by a 1 hour phone screen with live coding. The interviewer asked me a basic object-oriented design question (deck of cards).
    The next step was an on-site interview which had 4 rounds back-to-back.
    The questions were based on tree,graph and linked list traversals and their applications.
    One of the interviewers also asked about my current work experience and other behavioural questions (more of a conversation than an interview).
    The team took one month to extend an offer. However, the recruiter was very helpful and responsive.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Had a hacker rank coding challenge first
    Solving this lead to the phone screen round
    Interviewer asked questions from leetcode
    Even example inputs were from leetcode
    Any clarification questions posed was met with silence, or worse I was just asked to solve it without any clarification questions
    There were two questions one based on string and another on trees
    Question could be solved using bfs and DFS, when asked which one should I choose. I was hit with another " solve it"
    No stub available on this, so be ready to write code for accept input as well
    If the interviewing team is more intent to see you fail and not open to accept any clarification questions, do you really want to work with such a team?

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

4 rounds

2 technical
    2 manager interviews

Technical rounds were a little difficult. asked dev questions for a QA position. Manager round was regular QA questions about bugs, CI/CD and previous experience. Interviewers were very nice and will make you feel comfortable. they will also give ques if you can pick it up and answer.

Interview Questions

• difficult dev questions will be asked for a QA as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I interviewed for the Propel Program in July 2018. The interview lasted a day long, each of the four interviews lasting 45 minutes.
    The recruiters were very friendly and the interviewers were all helpful

Interview Questions

• Technical details from resume
      A Scheduling problem using binary search
      Write code for First Fit and Best fit memory allocation algorithms
      Python equivalent for malloc and calloc
      Remove a node from linked list (given node itself)
      Difference between merge sort and quick sort
      Which sorting algorithm will you use if you have a definite space of memory which is less than twice the size of given array (quick sort as it's in place)
      Backend concepts
      Design principles
      Programming paradigms

All answers required time and space complexity optimization   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

From initial phone screen to on-site interview it took around two weeks. Feedback took another two weeks. Most of the on-site interview questions were on design and ReST. Pretty easy. They should never have inexperienced developer in their panel. And there was one. They ask silly core Java questions and reject any answer if they haven't heard about alternative answer. While couple of them seem uninterested in interviewing. No lunch was offered either. Not a good place for interviewing.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview

1 online screen (hacker rank)
    1 phone interview
    Onsite consist of 5 interviews

Hard, but everything was from Cracking the Coding interview. Very straightforward interview process with no behavioral section. 7 interviews in total, all coding questions. Just prepare algorithms/data structures.

Interview Questions

• 1 bit manipulation, 1 DP, 1 strings manipulation, 1 binary tree/linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me regarding an opportunity with NSX team and asked me to complete a Hackerrank online assessment. There were tight deadlines to complete the assessment. 2 days later, the recruiter told me that I am invited to a hiring event that's happening over a couple of days. There is no option to reschedule the interview, whatever the reason may be and however genuine your reason may be. On the day of the on-site interview, all the candidates are taken to a room initially and get the introduction of the team, it's members and the interview process. The other candidates may/may not be of the same experience level as you. They said that they are hiring for multiple positions, but I am not sure if the experience factor comes in place while judging because it is the same set of people who interview everyone. I had 3 rounds of interviews onsite. 2 of them were nice, friendly and helpful. The last round interviewer was very rude and was easily getting annoyed at little things like an unclear curly brace in the code. It is demotivating when the interviewer looks pissed off and speaks louder than usual showing his frustration.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given a row of seats in a theater, find out the maximum number of people that you can fit in the available seats with a given condition that a seat is eligible for occupancy only if the seats to it's left and right are empty?
      2) Convert a BST to a doubly linked list. And some questions about past work, networking and memory management.
      3) Given portID from 1 - 4K, write 2 apis ,PortID PortID_alloc() that returns a portId and void PortID_free(PortID id) that frees the given port and makes it available for reuse. A lot of questions on Networking and kernel.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Colorado Springs, CO (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Initially, there will be online coding test on Hackerrrank. After the coding test, one or two phone interviews based on your team and business unit. Once you cleared phone screening, there will be 4-5 onsite interviews. I had 4 onsite interviews and 2 phone interviews. Overall, it was a good experience. Interviewers are friendly and try to keep you calm as much as possible.

Interview Questions

• How do you write constants in Python?   1 Answer
    • How to identify which operating system the code is running in Python?   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.