VMware Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

VMware Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

3.4

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

Two Phone interviews followed by detailed technical interview in person. The interview was typical of top technical companies. Unlike google or facebook who dwell only on CS fundamentals, here they also go in depth on domain knowledge. Some focused primarily on coding questions. Many interviews were focused on what I have done and if I could provide details of my current work and broader picture of technologies used.

Interview Questions

• Details about exactly how storage systems worked at protocol level
      Many coding questions and solve problems on paper/board   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back in those days I could negotiate some RSUs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone.

First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so.
    If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that.

Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

VMware only hires the top engineers in the industry, and their interviewers really knew their stuff. If you're confident you're among the top in the field, there's nothing that can prevent them from hiring you. Just come well-prepared.

Interview Questions

• No questions appeared too difficult for me because I was prepared. I would advise to interview at other companies before VMware just to gain experience. VMware doesn't ask you puzzles or give you coding problems that will take more than 10 minutes to solve. However, if you just feel lucky and decide to give it a try, you won't pass.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was so good that I didn't have to negotiate. They were flexible on the start date.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview

First round is usually a Phone interview. After that there is usually 3-4 rounds of technical interviews by various members of the team. Most rounds involve answering various technical questions and then writing some pseudo code or actual code. After those rounds you will be asked to wait for 2-3 days to know the result.
    If successful, HR will talk numbers.

Interview Questions

• This was for a Web team w/in VMware. One of them asked about writing an algorithm that de-duplicates contacts in an address book. And then asked to improve the algorithm   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in May 2012.

Interview

It was long series of interviews consisting of 1 1-11.5 hrs long telephonic interview and then 9 on-campus technical interview. All the interviews including one of the manager and director were completely technical in nature. The interviews were of 1 to 1.5 hrs each and they utilized every possible second of interviewing. It was a long running day and all the questions were deep down in to technologies. The questions consisted of data structures, alogorithms, java, spring, hibernate, databases, design etc.

After 7+ years of graduation, i was asked to explain the graduation final year project. I never expected it. Also in between the questions, there were few question which related to mathematics. The interviewer was quite supportive and would provide hints as welll to arrive to the final answer/solutions during the process.

Overall a great interview experience, although i was extremely exhausted with long running day and very short breaks and that too long spaced ones. This was one of the tiring interview more because i wanted to complete everything on the single day.

Interview Questions

• Clone a linked list with following scenario:
      1) The data of every node in the link could be a pointer to another node in the link.
      2) The clone should create the exact structure/graph as of original.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got the called very next morning about the offer and they made decent offer as i already told them about the existing offer. The benefits were pretty good and they had offered great RSU.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

About one-hour phone screening comes first. The next step was an assignment to develop a small application in Java and show OOD / OOP, coding style, documentation with the class diagram, and ant script to compile / run the application. Finally, the five-hours interview with five very smart senior developers. To pass the interview really need to know the technology and need to show that you know it.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about data structures (including both balanced and unbalanced trees) and algorithms.   Answer Question
    • Threads and example of creating a semaphore / distributed semaphore.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not sure how much room is there for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

Number of interviewers: 5
    Position being interviewed for: Salesforce.com and web development
    Back to back interviews for 45 minutes with different members of the team.
    Most of them claimed to have interviewed several candidates whom they did not approve and they did not hesitate to keep reminding about the same during the interview (not a nice thing to hear from an interviewer before he/she has had a chance to interview you).
    It was senior position but the expectation was that one would memorize each and every API name and method signature, etc and actually write perfect code. Any solution that used straightforward APIs were shot down and met with comments that some of the solutions offered are redundant. Long story short, unless you respond with code that is according to their design strategy (which by the way an outsider would not know) and methodology and design pattern and algorithm, your answer/solution is "not right".

2-3 days after the interview, I was informed that they changed their position requirements altogether. It was obvious that the persons interviewing had a "my way or high way" attitude when it came to accepting solutions to their design questions. Too narrow viewpoint in an industry where there is always more than a hundred ways of solving a given problem.

Interview Questions

• How do you reverse print a string. After answering the same by providing an out of the box API, the next unexpected question was "What if it does NOT exist". While and 2nd alternative was provided, it was pretty much shot down as being not acceptable.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

I had 2 onside interview. The first one was 2 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour. The second was 4 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour.

Each technical interview started with coding, you are starting to code and it created many many topics for discussions. The interviewers were nice. The process itself is very common for silicon valley.

Interview Questions

• There was not a lot of unexpected questions - algorithmic, coding, understanding of architecting principles, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated the base salary increase, the overall offer is great

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

Initial communication with HR who asked why do you want to join VmWare & what do you know about the products etc. Followed by phone screen which turned out to be coding round.
    F2F was 9 rounds including 1 with HR. All 8 were coding rounds on white board & included mostly data structures. However, 4 rounds were pretty similar.

Interview Questions

• Write the implementation for LRUMap.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.