Yahoo Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at Yahoo

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)).

Interview

Process was disorganized and chaotic. Their own schedule was not adhered to. A few interviewers were garbled and inarticulate, and could not formulate questions properly. A few simply did not show up. Then some spent most of their time texting while trying to ask questions during the interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)).

Interview

All day interview with a recruiter and about 5-6 engineers. Had lunch with the team and discussed Hadoop, which I had not heard of at that point. Interviewers seemed to ask questions that would reveal whether I could do that job: They didn't ask brain teaser puzzles.

Interview Questions

• This was 9 years ago, but I remember sorting questions and questions about algorithmic complexity; questions about how I would design a system (the details of which I no longer remember, but I do remember it involved a distributed key/value store); questions about TCP/IP; A request to craft an single SQL query that solved a fairly data merge and aggregate problem.   2 Answers

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Short and rude before I even answered the first question. They acted disinterested in me the entire time. If they thought that I wasn't a good fit then why waste my time and theirs?

Interview Questions

• Bug fix, hot patch questions. Questions on my tech experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

There were three phone interviews. Process was pretty fast.
    Stress was on OOPs concept and problem solving.
    Interviewers were sweet.
    First interview consisted of personal intro, some questions about my previous employment, JAVA questions
    Second and Third was on OOPs concept and problem solving.
    They would call and let you know about their decision or further rounds, process didn't take much time.

Technical Yahoo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

Got an email for phone screen from Yahoo after attending the college job fair. The interviewer was from Yahoo search team.

Interview Questions

• Difference between memory allocation of stack and heap   1 Answer
    • Why do we need virtual destructor in c++   1 Answer
    • Difference between pass by value and pass by reference   1 Answer
    • questions on OOPs features, abstract class   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Service Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in August 2011.

Interview

It was a very lengthy process all compressed in one day.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in June 2011.

Interview

I got a email from the hiring manager for a onsite interview after a brief phone conversation. Hiring manager and her team was good and friendly. Surprisingly three of the five interviewers asked me the same question. Interview went very well, but I never heard back from them. Later on got to know from one of the employee that they had hiring freeze. Waste of my time and theirs..

Interview Questions

• Write a script to login into yahoo mail and display the number of new messages. The script should also take care of alerting the user when ever a new message is received.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Application

Interview

I was approached by Yahoo recruiter, and she said It's a multi-national, multi-center build out, and they are interested in people with a strong Unix background (Redhat preferred) and solid skills in monitoring, automation, performance tuning, and troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• what is inode number of newly created directory?   1 Answer
    • if file permissions is set to 755, is that file can be accessed by anybody   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

Phone interview was more about specifics of Java/J2EE technology.

1. What's the diff between interface and abstract class
    2. Implement Fibonacci series. Can you implement the same using recursion? Which one is more efficient? why ?
    3. What are the steps involved in creating a complete workflow of a module in Spring and Hibernate
    4. What is dependency injection? Why is it good?
    5. Explain many-to-many mapping concept using Hibernate
    6. Write the query to find duplicates

1:1 interview had 3 rounds
    1. You have a Employee class and Dept class. Give a complete design and implementation to get all Employees grouped by Departments
    - Many-to Many mapping again with spring injections, they also checked why would you use certain data structures

2. Second round was based on the Producer Consumer problem and involved many threading concepts

3. Third round was based on design and performance oriented thinking. Let's say you had a 10Gigs of a text file and you were to collect a certain pattern of string and store it in DB. What was the most efficient way of doing it ?

The advice is:
    Be good in Collections, Threads and Performance related questions

Work culture is good but very hectic. Agile, scrum methodologies are followed and there are pretty stringent deadlines. People are co-operative but one must have a lot of energy to find your way through gigantic code base and slightly complicated procedure to build and test the code. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Why constructors dont return any value. What problem did Java face in returning a value from Constructors ?   1 Answer
    • Give an implementation of Moon in the solar system   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

I was first called for a phone interview which was pretty simple and straightforward mainly asking questions on Data Structures and design related.
    The after a week i was called for an onsite interview with 4 people.
    The 1st round went well the interviewer asked me to write a tictactoe game on whiteboard.
    The 2nd round went bad as the person kept asking me some mathematical problems.
    The 3rd round went ok with the manager asked me few testing and QA questions which i suppose did not answer that well.
    The 4th round was useless. The interviewer was just wasting time and reading my resume and seeing the clock.

Overall the interview experience sucked as they really did not test my skills.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.