Glassdoor Job & Company Trends
What is Glassdoor Trends?
Glassdoor Trends gives people the ability to see what jobs and companies are in demand or highly popular among job seekers on Glassdoor across Europe, North America and other parts of the world.
Why should job seekers care about Glassdoor Job and Company Trends?
For job seekers, Glassdoor Trends offers indicators into which jobs and companies may be highly in demand or especially popular among other job seekers. Plus, Glassdoor Trends offers a reminder to job seekers to do their homework before applying or accepting a job offer. For example, a company may have released a new product or service that in turn caused the company to trend on Glassdoor. By researching the company on Glassdoor and elsewhere, you can find out what is being said about a company on the Trends list. The information available can help you get a leg up in the job search process and determine if the company is the right fit for you.
Why should employers care about Glassdoor Job and Company Trends?
For employers, Glassdoor Trends offers valuable insights into where job seeker demand is and can help you understand how news or events tied to you or your competitors can influence job seeker interest. In short, Glassdoor Trends offers employers:
- Insight into what companies are popular with job seekers across industries, job titles and geographies
- News about how your company impacts job seeker activity on Glassdoor
- A possible chance for increased exposure among top national and regional media outlets via Glassdoor's PR team
For example, if your company is in the news because of a new product, service or some other reason, it could cause your company to trend on Glassdoor. Why? Because that news can stir job seeker interest in your company and cause them to visit Glassdoor to learn more about your company and/or your open jobs.
How are trends lists determined?
Glassdoor Trends takes into account the past several months of activity for thousands of jobs and companies to identify any notable or unexpected spikes in attention from job seekers. The results are weighted so as to level the playing field and help showcase companies of all sizes and less common occupations.
How often is Glassdoor Trends updated?
Glassdoor Trends is updated on a monthly basis during the first week of each month.
How does an employer get on a Glassdoor Trends list?
There are several reasons an employer may trend on Glassdoor, including:
- Workplace/employment news: May trend when an employer is in the news for something workplace or employment related.
- Product/Service News: May trend when a company product or service catches job seeker attention.
- Business News: May trend when a company has news about executives, business performance or other corporate related event.
- Awards: May trend when an employer wins a notable award, particularly if it is workplace or employment related.
- Events: May trend when an employer hosts or participates in a notable event, particularly if the event includes or address something workplace or employment related.
Note this is not an exhaustive list of reasons, but is a sample list of possible reasons that an employer may trend on Glassdoor. The best way to consider why a company may trend is to think about what catches a job seeker's attention that causes them to want to research the company and/or its open jobs on Glassdoor.
Can a company trend for positive or negative reasons?
Yes. A company can trend for a variety of reasons, be it good news or bad news.
If I know my company is about to face some negative news, can I avoid being featured on Glassdoor Trends?
Having negative, or positive news does not always guarantee whether or not a company may trend. If the news does cause your company to trend, it's wise to get ahead of it by managing your profile, company updates and other messaging on Glassdoor. By setting the right tone, you and your company can navigate the news cycle and ensure job seekers have the information that best represents your company.
What are best practices if my company appears on a Glassdoor Trends list?
While it's important to keep in mind that there are a variety of reasons a company can appear on a Glassdoor Trends list, provided below are general tips to consider when your company appears on a list:
- Research why your company may have appeared. If you see your company appears on a Glassdoor Trends list, keep in mind it's for activity that occurred during the past few months.
- If you want to share that your organisation has made the Glassdoor Trends list, make sure that you are capturing that news appropriately on your Glassdoor Profile, in your Glassdoor Company Updates and in your job listings. Also, if you are in HR/recruiting, be sure to connect with your marketing and PR peers as they can often help guide you on how to make the most of great news.
- If you are in HR/recruiting, and your company experienced negative news that you believe led to why your company appeared on a Glassdoor Trends list, be sure to connect with your marketing and PR peers. They can help guide you on how to handle messaging.
Do the employers on Glassdoor Trends represent the highest rated companies on Glassdoor?
No, these employers represent those that have seen notable or unexpected spikes in activity compared to prior months.
Will employers be notified if they appear on a Glassdoor Trends list?
Currently, we do not have any type of automation in place to alert employers if they appear on Glassdoor Trends. This is something we will be exploring in the months ahead.
Can I filter by location and by industry?
Not at this time. Currently, we have enabled it so that job seekers can sort by just one filter. As Glassdoor Trends develops, we will evaluate adding more capabilities and additional filters.
Why can't I see more locations in my country?
We want to provide job seekers with insights into as many locations as possible and ensure a quality experience. If there is not enough activity in one location for a quality trends list, we do not present that location.