I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)
People - Willing to help. Nice. Hard working. Welcoming
Flexible Work Schedule - Start & End Times
WFH - As long as you don’t abuse it. Remote work for some positions.
Food - Snacks, Beer Fridge Friday’s, Breakfast 2x/week, Catered Lunch from time to time
Did I mention the people?
- Vision, Mission, Charter and lack of communication of
- Spiceworks attempts to do too many things
- Lack of process & formalized products in certain areas
- Unsure if there is training for Mgmt on how to be effective leaders, if not there should be. Even quality people need support & coaching on becoming great leaders.
- I didn’t see any employee development but did see some departments get to explore new tech. Don’t think that equates to the same thing though
- Personal growth is hit or miss.
- EMEA and other remote reps are poorly supported
- Lacking cross departmental communication
Advice to Management
Doing fewer things better is key. I believe Spiceworks was disruptive early on which lead to the creation of their great community. I feel it veered away a bit. Your distinguishing asset is Your IT Pro community.
To quote Richard Branson,
Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.
Lastly I believe you are beginning to address some of the cons I listed. But I will underscore that it’s important that everyone has a role & understands their role at Spiceworks and what they are contributing to. Give your employees purpose. Provide them the proper support.
I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spiceworks (Austin, TX (US)) in October 2017.
Interview process consisted of an onsite. They first show you around the building and introduce you to the team. The technical portion consisted of a whiteboarding problem followed by a database design problem. During the latter half of the technical portion they start asking questions about your background based on your resume. Finally, once you're done you get to meet individual team members for some chat
Looking for a fresh start in 2017? Check our Built in Austin's newest article featuring Spiceworks!
We're so proud to be named one of Built In Austin's Top 100 Digital Employers!