24 Hour Fitness Club Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Tony Ueber
  1. "Club Manager"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Oxnard, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun Environment where you will meet some great and inspiring people, both customers and employees.

Cons

Club Managers are expected to be, and treated like glorified sales reps. Company expects CMs to spend majority of their time selling instead of managing.

Advice to Management

Develop and let CM role to be that of an actual manager and get away from utilizing them as sales reps. The current state of the role will undoubtedly drive away talented leaders who truly want to invest in the people that report to them, as well as take care of the facility they manage.

24 Hour Fitness2017-05-20

24 Hour Fitness Response

November 29, 2017Sr. HR Project Manager

Thank you for your time at 24 Hour Fitness. Sorry you felt that as a GM you were a glorified sales rep. We strive to create an environment where our employees feel empowered to succeed and grow. We are dedicated to providing the necessary tools and resources to assist employees with ...

2. "Monopoly of Stupid"

Former Employee - Club Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working in the fitness industry. You can be surrounded be a lot of fun, positive people. Depends on the club, though. Some commission sales people are very self centered, one dimensional jerks.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. Everything changes frequently, too frequently for any type of consistency to grow through repetitive training and action. Upper management is trying to squeeze every dime out of the company to position to sell (again0, and it makes for a very negative environment. Corporate will gain everything financially with the next move, and very freely blames the field for failing to realize their...

Advice to Management

Quit now and spare everyone your selfishness and stupidity.

24 Hour Fitness2017-04-26

24 Hour Fitness Response

November 28, 2017Talent Acquisition Analyst

That you for your service with 24 Hour Fitness, and for the time you spent enabling our members to live happier and healthier. We're bummed to hear that you had a negative experience with us. It is important to us to ensure that our leadership team has the appropriate tools and ...

"Holy Cow the revolving door!!!"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay inexperienced trainers pretty decent and Club Managers get a good base salary. Its prolly not a bad gig if you worked front desk or group X where you dont have goals or the desire to make money.

Cons

They pay everyone else in the building absolutely terribly. If you are into fitness and are good at sales, you can make more at any other competitor that has a commission plan. 24 has all their comp plans set up so that your draw/threshold will not allow you to make what you could elsewhere.

Advice to Management

What management? The turnover is so great its a brand new company every 6 months.

24 Hour Fitness2017-01-17
  4. "Potential for Greatness"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Phenomenal brother and sisterhood Great energy from the top leaders, down Motivating to do great

Cons

My personal experience was that I was set up for failure. I was an external hire, given a faulty club, already broken and neglected, and I was screaming for help but upper levels said that my club wasn't even one of the worst. So that told me they neglected too many clubs and weren't listening to their selected managers.

Advice to Management

Give more resources to the managers, the ground level troops, faster when they tell you what os needed to be successful. Don't throw your employees to the wayside. Listen and be true to what you preach.

24 Hour Fitness2016-10-11
  5. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager/Club Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

When I was there it was a sales environment and they really took care of their employees. You could do really well when you were doing your job and hitting your goals.

Cons

They were going through a transition on how to run the business. Going from a sales environment to retail environment. It didn't work to well but I believe they have gone back to their roots which is what made them successful in the first place

Advice to Management

Know your business and stick with it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Mastrov and his team had a great plan and that is what made the company great.

24 Hour Fitness2016-10-07

"Club Manager"

Current Employee - Club Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Base salary is fair. Can be fun to work in a gym.

Cons

Lots of hours. Tough on work life balance. Constantly changing strategies and pricing. Culture of the company has gone downhill in the last couple years under new ownership and senior level management.

Advice to Management

Get back to being a fitness company versus a membership company.

24 Hour Fitness2016-06-29

"Club Manager"

Former Employee - Club Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay was decent, and the benefits were great. I enjoyed working with my team in the gym. You do get a free membership and have access to all the local facilities.

Cons

work life balance. I would typically work 10 hour days. During the busy times of the year you can expect to work 6 or 7 day weeks. There is also constant change of the compensation plan. Bonuses are usually hard to hit as well.

Advice to Management

just make sure of keeping management up to date with whats going on. There is by far way too much change with the position and the pay needs to keep up with the times.

24 Hour Fitness2016-06-09
  8. "Club Manager"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Boys Town, NE

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher Base than typical big box

Cons

Like most big box companies they give you pie in the sky expectations

Advice to Management

Be honest

24 Hour Fitness2016-05-26

"Club manager"

Former Employee - Club Manager

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free membership, CM Summit, availability to change a persons life because of fitness.

Cons

Mixed messages from management. They say performance is a factor, but reality is if you are in the good graces of your boss you are safe. Witness a manager fail at countless club and they just moved him around. Another manager was one and done. Not ethical, lack of integrity.

Advice to Management

Don't manage from the ivory tower. Get involve with the day to day for your employees. Be an uncover boss.

24 Hour Fitness2016-04-07

"Manager"

Former Employee - Club Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the first 4 years pay was on par with work done - compensation was good and had lots of incentives but after that all incetives were cut easentially a 50% decrease in pay -

Cons

Turn over is super high and for a manager the budget for staff and supplies was a joke who ever sets the budget has no idea about standard cost or even running an efficient club - budgets were inconsistent and not approriate to the club usage numbers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to correctly forecast personel needs dont use arbitrary numbers that do not make sense- also stop outside hiring for managment positions just because you can get a displaced executive at a bargain doesnt mean they are good for moral - also investing in improving work life balance is a must. Update your paper work and administration work flow they are archaic and redundant......

24 Hour Fitness2016-04-19