AECOM Associate Director Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 34 reviews

4.1
AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

"Great Opportunities and People"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to work on the best projects in Australia and globally. Leadership team who clearly work well together well and are genuinely passionate about the employees and what we do. Tends to attract the top talent, particularly at graduate level. Progressive in terms of flexible working and diversity initiatives. Well ahead of peers in this regard.

Cons

Being part of a very large global company does have its drawbacks such as numerous systems and procedures to work with. Due to its scale the company can be quite conservative and less nimble than smaller organisations. Pay and benefits is typically around the median for the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue with flexibility and diversity initiatives as they contribute to making AECOM a great place to work. More focus now needs to go on environmental outcomes and the company’s support of renewable energy. Time to take a stand and step away from any new build thermal coal projects.

AECOM2018-06-13

"Very Orwellian"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Melbourne

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good projects, great junior staff, generally nice offices, flexible working conditions, diverse client base, giant global multidisciplinary beast.

Cons

Welcome to 1984! Doublespeak galore. Horrible bullying management. Very low technical capability despite their claims. Only concern is high staff utilisation at any cost which drives very bad behaviours. Worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Listen to yourselves! Stop the bullying. Do what you claim to do and put your clients' interest first.

AECOM2016-09-02

"Not the company it once was"

I worked at AECOM

Pros

It was once a great company to work for before becoming bloated, and introducing a 40% minimum ratio of women in senior positions. This has resulted in some very ordinary people being promoted well above their ability just to make the ratio. This has resulted in a situation where poor decisions are being made and the company feels like a ship without a rudder at the moment. I left as I could no longer put up with to toxicity....

Cons

While I was lucky to avoid the last few years of "restructuring" the company atmosphere is one of distrust and the environment is toxic due to the continuing uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote on merit.

AECOM2016-08-19
  4. "Opportunities are boundless"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Sydney

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great projects. The ability to work in different departments is excellent. Flexible working is promoted and benefits are great.

Cons

Being such a large company has its challenges - small cog in big wheel type thing. Other than that the issues are cons are no different to any other company.

Advice to Management

Nothing

AECOM2016-07-04

"Out of touch with reality"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Brisbane

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good lower level staff and nice offices. The IT set up is quite good too which enables working between sites easily.

Cons

Upper management is elite and out of touch with staff and clients. There is a toxic culture where senior managers protect their patch at any cost. Unless you are young and female and non Caucasian forget getting included in any promotion

Advice to Management

Take your redundancy package and abandon that sinking ship before it is too late

AECOM2016-05-14

"Change your perspective, come join AECOM on your next journey"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Brisbane

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." Michael Jordan At AECOM you have the opportunity to make it happen.

Cons

"Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them." Albert Einstein As a growing global organisation we need to ensure we understand our limits and ensure that we remain small enough to truly understand our clients needs.

Advice to Management

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit.” Aristotle For our great organisation to keep creating value for clients and shareholders I believe we need to ensure our organisation remains lean and in tune with local demand and local needs. With this comes the right balance between senior staff and more junior staff. Lets embrace the excellence that we deliver on a daily basis and make...

AECOM2016-04-06

"Good organisation, needs a huge overhaul"

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work / life balance, salary, global opportunities, admired organisation, great people, wonderful staff amenities, socially responsible and genuine reputation for excellent work

Cons

Matrix structure, subsistence cash-driven business with no strategic direction and therefore no plan to invest in itself to build IP organically, short sighted management

Advice to Management

Recruit some senior line managers from outside the industry, devise an authentic vision and values statement, invest profits in building capability to differentiate rather than simply acquiring.

AECOM2015-11-29

"Lunatics running the asylum"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It used to be a good company when it was Maunsell and there are some good people. Most of the good ones have left.

Cons

A multitude of flaws. It's bizarro world at AECOM. Bad people with personality disorders are promoted to group leader roles and inflict their insanity on everyone they can. Their mission is to make your life as chaotic and stressful as possible. They expect you to be as manic and frantic as themsleves, work unpaid overtime (including weekends), take your laptop home every night, respond to phone calls and emails in...

Advice to Management

You have an incredible inability to distinguish good people from bad. Look at all the people who left to join competing companies. They were smart, experienced, knowledgeable, hard working engineers who were valued by clients, but not by you. You drove them away with your illogical reward of bad behaviour and punishment ot good. Adios.

AECOM2013-05-16
  9. "Great company and benefits"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and holiday leave

Cons

Global company, but not many opportunities abroad

AECOM2019-05-09
  10. "associate director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New Delhi

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

best in industry,ranked worlds no 1

Cons

some are lazy ,some others outputs are your inputs,then you will feel.

Advice to Management

improve learning

AECOM2018-08-09