AECOM "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

AECOM Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 11, 2019

Found 4457 reviews

3.2
AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke
1,661 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great work environment and many posibilities for career progresion(in 173 reviews)

• "Great people with challenging work delivers first class healthcare to our hero's while building a great organization at Defense Health Agency(in 157 reviews)

Cons
  • "Limited support from upper management(in 146 reviews)

• "After 5 years of working to integrate URS into AECOM they just notified everyone that the company is breaking off(in 124 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great personal development, capable colleagues - likely to hit a big ceiling 2-3 yrs in"

Current Employee - Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Projects - Resources - Networking - Flexi working

Cons

- Don't feel very engaged with upper management - Bosses have their favourites, even if they are not that capable

Advice to Management

Staff turnover too high for us to build a good platform

AECOM2019-05-25

"Engineer (Construction)"

Former Employee - Engineer in Sydney

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

- Nice office and location - Chance to work on big projects - Some of the middle management people are great at leading and supportive

Cons

- Lots of overtiming but no reward, organisation takes advantage of employee essentially giving their time for free to work on projects - Pay freezes and very small incremental pay increases each year due to upper management not being able to properly manage or patch up project cost losses and departments in the red, so all the underlings pay for it instead - for a massive 'international corporation', there's not... a whole lot of flexibility or opportunity to work on projects overseas, different country offices seem to be quite segregated. - the quality of work produced is really dependent on each team's or individual's values, contrary to common opinion that a big brand / organisation is reliable and produces a high standard of work. It is actually subject to which department or team is working on the projects, and unfortunately not aligned across the entire office or organisation.

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees well and fair, and more good people will want to stay

AECOM2019-04-28

"Political juggernaut"

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at AECOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has got Big offices. It has got bigger projects. Fake market value. Big morning tea and fruits. Monthly drinks!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Constant back stabbing. They talk @ flexibility of work, it doesn't exist, as soon as u try use that "Flexibility", back stabbing will be all time high. High level of racism. Place full of "Big bullies". Can't trust anyone. They claiming to have gender equality but its written nicely on paper only. Constant pampering to inexperienced and incompetent staff. Lose of sanity if you work for them. Most of upper... management don't know any technicality and asking enormous amount of work in no time. So much manipulation while talking to you.

Advice to Management

Develop some method to scale mangers (PM). If any PM lose a staff they should be answerable for their actions.

AECOM2017-03-06

"Out of touch with reality"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Brisbane

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good lower level staff and nice offices. The IT set up is quite good too which enables working between sites easily.

Cons

Upper management is elite and out of touch with staff and clients. There is a toxic culture where senior managers protect their patch at any cost. Unless you are young and female and non Caucasian forget getting included in any promotion

Advice to Management

Take your redundancy package and abandon that sinking ship before it is too late

AECOM2016-05-14

"No Opportunity for Growth"

Former Employee - Engineer in Brisbane

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They had Friday afternoon drinks. The office was pretty and location was nice. Daily biscuits and free coffee was also a plus.

Cons

Where to start? Upper Management are completely useless. They spent $150 Million Dollars on developing a new 'Ecosystem' platform to make our lives easier but ends up just being a portal to the old existing services. This coupled with a dumb social medial platform called salesforce (why we have this in a engineering firm is beyond me??) as well as a clunky excel based Project Management program and other clunky... systems including the horrible intranet site (where you can never find any forms you want) means that you spend half your week wasting time digging through systems and processes instead of doing billable work. They win no good projects due to their ridiculously high charge out rates compared to the rest of the market. Then they don't innovate at all due to being 'risk adverse' even when innovation is one of their core marketing strategy. They even have an innovation manager but good work figuring out what they do. The consistently fire people month to month (sometimes weekly). It's incredible that this company has managed to shed over 2500 people in the last few years. Due to all the redundancies and hiring freezes, everyone remaining is worked half to death when a project does come in to complete it. Then they spend the rest of the time wondering if they will be made redundant.

Advice to Management

To all the good engineers, time to jump ship boys and girls, there's no hope for you all. The company just paid out over $200 million dollars to a lawsuit for a badly designed tunnel so there goes your payrises and training for the next few years. All the upper management including the useless marketing team can stay and sink with the ship.

AECOM2015-09-30

"In general a good company with good intentions"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working here is the variety of work you get to undertake. Very often unique projects come in the door and if you're interested, you get a good chance to work on them in some capacity. There's a good balance between site and office work with roughly equal opportunities to undertake both, depending on the market. People are generally friendly and easy to get along with, I haven't met anybody who... I actively dislike at the company in three years of employment there.

Cons

A middle-to-upper management structure with very set views on how they plan to operate. A lot is spoken about the opportunity for employees to have their say, but I have doubts about how closely it is listened to. There is often a significant focus in the company on people who put their hands up for awards while doing relatively comfortable office-based work, and sometimes a total disregard for those out in the... field who are working with clients directly and generating the real dollars that allows the company to stand up. Often it seems those people are forgotten because they don't have an office presence.

Advice to Management

Take some time away from the political manoeuvring that goes on at the director level and focus on what each of your employees is actually doing day-to-day. You may be surprised to find out that those who are regarded as the office stars do a lot of nothing while those who are overlooked are the ones who are generating your capital.

AECOM2014-10-15

"Soulless company with cowardly management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to work on large projects. Have worked with some good people.

Cons

Conflict of interest galore. For example: environmental engineers working side-by-side with mining / oil & gas engineers; the environmental engineers being engaged to provide INDEPENDENT reviews and assessments on the environmental impacts of coal seam gas (i.e. fracking), while their colleagues are separately engaged by oil & gas companies to extract said coal seam gas. So many processes, so much red tape, very... bureaucratic. Low, low morale. I do not know a single person I work with who likes AECOM, or who could say that they like working for AECOM. No soul. Impersonal management. There are no meaningful meetings with upper management, no one is approachable, there is no communication down the chain which is honest and frank. There is no accountability amongst management No thanks, no reward. There is an expectation from upper management to 'do more with less', while not bringing anything to the table themselves. False global opportunities for employees. The regions don't know each other, they very rarely deal with each other, and on even rarer occasions are transfers actually granted between different regions for existing employees. Very American-centric culture and correspondence, despite doing most of their business outside of the US.

Advice to Management

Own up! Own up to making decisions that affect your employees. Inform your employees of the goings on as though they were human beings and had an intelligence level greater than a tomato. The whole of the Australia and New Zealand business (around 4,000 people) has just been told that there will be no yearly pay review this year, with many of our employee benefits and rewards cancelled, while we have had to... say goodbye to a few hundred colleagues who have just been retrenched (just in time for Christmas). NOT ONE person or group of people has owned up to these decisions, stating only the infamous line "the decision has been made"......made by who? The blame always deferred upwards, by nameless, faceless, cowards. Also, as advice to AECOM's management, please realise that your employees who are doing the work, delivering projects and making the revenue, don't actually care what the share price is, or how much profit the company as a whole makes. We want to be rewarded for our individual efforts and want to work for a company that cares about more than just the bottom line. I am voting with my feet.

AECOM2012-12-13

"Lots of Negatives, great work experience if you can stick it out for a bit"

Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really good experience to add to your resume. Big and diverse projects that will look great and give you some very practical experience. I would recommend this company to entry engineers for their first few years to get that resume padded and to learn practical skills. The company is big enough that if you ever hit a road block you can reach out to someone in the company to help.

Cons

Expect your salary to be lower than avg for your position. Yearly cost of living raise will barely keep up with inflation. Out of cycle raises take months to go through if they ever are even approved. Benefits get worse and worse every year, bottom of the barrel for the industry too. 3% 401k match, no HSA match, high premiums and deductibles. Rumor from upper management is that benefits for 2020 are being cut... again! Engineer jobs are now starting to be outsourced to Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia because they are quote "ten times cheaper even if half of it is wrong". This is causing a lot of angst among the engineers in America. Literally everything is subcontracted out to save a buck. Every year for the past 5+ years a section of the company has been subbed out to save money. IT was contracted out to IBM but they constantly close tickets without actually fixing the problem just to meet their quota, no standard IT protocols across offices, different answers to easy questions depending on who you get a hold of in IT. Printers were subbed out but nobody came to actually set up the printers at your office, the new company just dropped them off and said good luck. We have to manually track each print since the tracking software was never set up correctly and IT won't deal with it since its a "printer company" issue. Facilities was subbed out and now nobody knows who to call to fix any office building issues, you get the run around depending on who you contact in upper management. Admin staff were completely gutted leaving all the overhead that Admin performed to now be done by the engineers. All the above now has to be handled by the already overworked engineers. Nothing can save this company it will eventually collapse from its own weight, turnover is insanely high, whole offices have vanished within the last year due to turnover.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees instead of the bottom line. Everything is done in the short-sighted name of stock price. For example, You recently chose not to pay your subs/vendors/employees corporate credit card expenses on time just to look like you had more cash on hand this fiscal year in order to make the stock price look better. This has many cons to it and only one benefit. You alienate all your vendors who... expect timely payment, your subs are not happy for not getting paid, and your employees see this reflected on their corporate card credit history. The only benefit to this is that someone in Upper Management gets to stand in front of the investors and say we have more cash on hand than we actually do. After the end of the fiscal year you will have to pay all the late fees for these expenses and will end up owing more! It makes no sense! Another example is the recent incentive program to bring in more cash before the end of the fiscal year. I believe if you brought in 100k in billings (or deferred 100k in expenses) before the end of the fiscal year you would get a 200$ bonus. Anyone who can bring in 100k in billings is being paid enough that they will not spend their time jumping through all these hoops just to get a 200$ (pre-tax) bonus! You want me to potentially make a vendor or sub angry by telling them we cannot pay our 100k expense this fiscal year all in the name of a 200$ bonus?! Completely short sighted and again driven by the stock price mentality that will only hurt us in the long run. These are only a few examples of your short sighted management. All of this is done to increase the stock price but if you look at the history of the stock it has remained flat for the last 10+ years! What a joke! But don't worry Burke and everyone else on the board will continue to get their millions in bonuses and giant raises while the engineers doing the actual work lose more and more benefits. Company executives manage the company as if they have never done a day of engineering in their life, it’s all about the bottom line. Company will eventually just be a shell of corporate executives who rotate every two years, slap themselves on the back, and all actual work subbed out overseas.

AECOM2019-09-29

"No Support from Management"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AECOM part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Alternative working hours are great.

Cons

-Poor communication between upper management and employees -Too many acquisitions resulting in frequent layoffs

Advice to Management

-Invest in your staff

AECOM2019-10-02
  10. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Ecology Intern
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

Looked very good on my resume Pay was above average for an intern Worked on multiple projects

Cons

Poor communication between upper management and employees Often felt like I didn't know the broader scope of the projects I was working on Felt like I was held in the dark in regards the end goals of the project,

Advice to Management

For interns, fully immerse them in the projects theyre assigned to. Let them know the scope of the project, the end goals, etc

AECOM2019-09-09