ALS Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 12 Oct 2020

ALS Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer  Raj Naran
Raj Naran
Pros
Cons
  • "repetitive work;low pay; high physical demand(in 34 reviews)

• "Expect to work long hours (especially in the summer), high turnover, lower pay(in 24 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Support Services"

2.0
    Supervisor in Melbourne

I have been working at ALS

Pros

Great people, real family atmosphere. Lots of great training available, good facilities.

Cons

Support staff are second class citizens at ALS, behind operational/fee generators. They are expected to achieve more and more and more with less and less resources. You feel expendiable and that you can't win. I was surprised how weak their tools are for such a big company. Structure is confusing.

"Working at ALS"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Contractor - Laboratory Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at ALS for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with An excellent opportunity to develop skills

Cons

Poor rate of hourly pay

October 19, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have been able to develop your skills while working with ALS. As a contractor, your pay is controlled by the hiring you are hired by, if you are discontent with this please reach out to the company you are contracted to.

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Technician in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots to learn, Great people to work

Cons

May need to work overtime

"Worst Company ever! Awful wage! Suitable for graduates looking for lab experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Potable Water Analyst, Microbiology in Coventry, England

I worked at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Great people in the lab and team leaders were lovely + Easy but tiring job + Good for graduates to get lab experience

Cons

- Upper management awful - Upper management treat you like trash - Happy to change contracted hours without asking the employee or changing the contract (My contracted hours were 11pm - 7am which were fine, 1 month in - 2 am -10 am guys!) Completely destroyed my life. - Insultingly low wage - Unrealistic targets for sample processing - No chance for career progression unless you stay on minimum wage for 10 years

December 6, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your review – we believe the negativity is a result of your dismissal from the Company. In relation to the points you have mentioned, you were consulted with and agreed to a change in working patterns, you were on the wage for your role and in addition received an unsociable “shift” allowance of 15%. We have a productivity model in place which ensures that we align the correct resources to work volumes. We are not actively seeking to employee graduates and yes, we do boast about the excellent suite of “benefits” and “values” that we do have in place.

"Great as a stepping stone....kind of"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Sittingbourne, England

I worked at ALS full-time

Pros

Great people too work with Okay to use to get your foot in the door

Cons

Poor management Low salary for what you are expected to do. No progression. Expect you too keep your mouth shut and head down. Do not value hardworking staff unless you are a favourite Low morale on site

November 14, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your review. As a current employee we would like to address your issues please feel free to contact, in confidence, HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com.

"Good people, not so good company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Microbiology Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Flexible working hours.

Cons

Management doesn't really consider the staff, barely able to get time off etc.

September 19, 2019HR Specialist

It is nice to see that you enjoyed working with your colleagues, we have worked hard on building a collaborative culture and we also appreciate our employees require flexibility – we have 22% of our workforce on flexible working patterns. We do operate an enhanced annual leave policy (well above the legal minimum) and all of our people managers have been trained on the key HR policies. We are also working hard on employee “recognition” in relation to celebrating individual and team successes.

7. "analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ALS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

poor management without knowledge or people skills

May 14, 2019HR Director

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you find your co-workers great and would like to understand more about the areas our managers can improve upon. It would be very helpful if you could send additional information to: ALSHR-PayrollNorthAmerica@alsglobal.com. We do appreciate receiving feedback on how we can improve and having more specific information (ie. specific tests and/or incidents) will helps us address this more effectively.

"High expectations, changing environment"

5.0

I have been working at ALS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with and a lot of commitment from our team members. Our jobs are challenging and ever changing with a new problem to solve every day. The good people make that enjoyable. The culture has been changing to encourage more process improvement and critical thinking. This has been great to see. There's a new emphasis on people development which has led to new opportunities for learning and development within the organization. I've seen some good changes in leadership at the top of our organization that encourage us to think bigger. I've enjoyed meeting these individuals and I have a greater confidence in their ability to make positive changes at ALS.

Cons

Poor leadership in some areas, and this can make it challenging to be successful or drive results.

April 10, 2019HR Manager

Thank you we are glad you like working at ALS. Are staff are great aren’t they. A lot of effort has gone into our L&D program so it is good to hear that it is appreciated. We would like to hear more about your comment on, poor leadership in some areas, to help us understand more fully your concerns please do not hesitate to contact HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com so we can continue to make ALS a great place to work.

9. "Mass Spectrometry Consultant"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Mass Spectrometry Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at ALS for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

the drive time was terrible.

January 7, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with our employees - we think they are great too! Sorry to hear about the drive.

10. "Core cutting tech"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great location, good base benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of.

December 11, 2018HR Director

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy your employee experience working for ALS. We truly do strive to create a work environment where employees feel that they are appreciated, treated fairly and have fun at work. And it is very rewarding to hear when our efforts have paid off. We wish you a long and fulfilling career at ALS!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 English Reviews