ALS Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated 15 Oct 2020

ALS Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer  Raj Naran
Raj Naran
Pros
Cons
  • "repetitive work;low pay; high physical demand(in 34 reviews)

• "Expect to work long hours (especially in the summer), high turnover, lower pay(in 24 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Chill but cheap"

4.0
    Current Employee - Diagnostician in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ALS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere , good people , low pressure

Cons

Low pay, old fashioned senior management

October 30, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and we will endeavour to take your ideas on board for continual improvement.

"Work for Minerals division......Nah probs not"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Townsville

I worked at ALS full-time

Pros

Average workers are cool to hang out with good friendships made Payroll never missed or mucked up a wage payment

Cons

HR is brisbane based and jus terrible really just terrible words cannot describe High ups use low pay to control staff like slaves e.g. if you dont get you 2000 samples done each day then no overtime hours for you

August 31, 2020Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for your review. We're glad you made some good friends at ALS and appreciated the Payroll team's accuracy and consistency. We are really sorry to hear that your experience with HR and Management was not as favourable and did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. If you would like to provide more details confidentially, please reach out to the Corporate HR management team at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

"Factory/ production line work environment."

Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Thorough training and co-workers generally willing to help you.

Cons

Low pay. Monotonous work. Slow skills and career progression. By production line work I mean I was put to work on one station all day every day - like everyone else. Management (esp hiring mgr) spun their words to make things more attractive but after I started I quit as soon as possible.

July 3, 2019HR Specialist

Thank%20you%20for%20providing%20feedback%20ALS%20pays%20market%20rates%20or%20above%20for%20the%20type%20of%20work%20our%20employees%20do%2C%20by%20completing%20annual%20reviews%20that%20take%20into%20account%20inflation%20changes%20and%20that%20benchmark%20to%20the%20location%20the%20facility%20is%20in.%20%20ALS%20also%20provides%20a%20large%20range%20of%20training%20to%20ensure%20our%20staff%20are%20constantly%20developing%20and%20feeling%20challenged%20in%20their%20roles%20but%20also%20to%20allow%20staff%20to%20take%20responsibility%20for%20their%20own%20learning%20journey.

"Don’t work here unless your desperate"

I worked at ALS part-time

Pros

- work/life balance was ok -Free lunches sometimes

Cons

- Low pay - low growth prospects -high casual turnover rates

January 21, 2019HR Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback and we regret that you felt discontent with your wages. ALS endeavours to pay market rates for the type of work our employees do by completing annual reviews that take into account inflation changes and that benchmark to the location the facility is in. If you would like to provide further details about your pay situation so we can look into pay equity in your specific region, please confidentially email the Corporate HR Management team at HR.Enquiries@alsglobal.com. Our goal is to ensure fair wages are paid to all our valued staff, in addition to company benefits and training opportunities so your further insight will help us improve in this area.

"A big company with big problems"

2.0
    Former Employee - Laboratory Manager in Sydney

I worked at ALS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company with many divisions gives opportunity for progression and transfer Some roles beyond the operations level are interesting There are good colleagues in most parts of the business

Cons

Corporate disconnect from operations leads to management issues. Out of date policies and corporate mentality. Low pay at operations level. Virtually no training for lab staff. Labs are treated as factories rather than scientific workplaces, so quality suffers. Operations often work weekends due to understaffing. Management can be ruthless, job security is limited. Mid level management staff are retained seemingly forever despite limited knowledge and productivity. Company focusses more on growth and acquisitions rather than improving existing businesses. Company has trouble moving with the times. Management pressure can be immense and stress is the norm. Requirements to move up a pay level often make little sense. Some divisions refuse to pay graduates a proper salary. The best staff usually leave due to low pay and high frustration.

May 28, 2018HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We will take this on board as well as findings from our first ever, truly global employee survey launching this year to gather thoughts and feedback from our valued staff members. We also want to work towards making ALS a better place to work and retain our valuable employees. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

"If your desperate."

Laboratory Technician in Springvale
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ALS

Pros

Better than unemployment. Convient if you live nearby. Free parking (although spaces limited). Relatively close to public transport. Clean facilities.

Cons

Low pay, treat staff pooly, poor management, very difficult to get any career advancement, strong bullying culture.

January 10, 2018Corporate HR Advisor

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not favourable, however we take on board your comments and endeavour to seek improvement.

7. "Great first job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administrator in Brisbane

I worked at ALS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Als is an internationally renowned company. Very safety focused. Good management, most staff were friendly and easy going, well established practices, training was great, head office presence, in house counselling availabke, staff were diverse.

Cons

Lack of development opportunities, almost every year redundancies were handed out, low pay. Promises sometimes not kept, ie moving into a different building didn't happen, sometimes cut throat.

8. "chemist"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Intern - Chemist in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at ALS for less than a year

Pros

good environment good workers ,team lead

Cons

low pay, busy, tight schedules

"Only if no Job available"

Former Employee - Sample Prep Technician in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at ALS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of team activities, listen to your suggestions

Cons

low pay, dirty work, competitive, and no job security

October 23, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your comments. Due to the seasonal nature of our work, we do ramp up our staffing during the busy season and then have to adjust during the slower months. We are honest about this during the recruitment process so new employees are aware but we do realize that there is a negative impact on some employees. Some of our roles do involve physical work preparing mining samples for processing so it does get dusty & hot. However, we try to inject a little fun in to work by organizing employee activities. It is rewarding to hear that you enjoyed these activities and felt that your suggestions were listened to. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in the future.

10. "A place if you really need a coop position to work at"

Former Intern - Sample Prep Technician in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at ALS

Pros

flex schedule; good co-workers; easy tasks

Cons

repetitive work;low pay; high physical demand

October 23, 2020HR Director

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the flexible schedule and got along well with your co-workers. We do hire interns as a way of providing them with industry experience and to assist with processing increased seasonal volumes. It is unfortunate that we didn't provide the type of work experience you were looking for. We appreciate your feedback and wish you a rewarding career!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews