AME Group (Hong Kong) Reviews

Updated 23 Mar 2020

1.7

"A complete joke of a company. Extraordinarily bad place to work."

5.0

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you believe the good reviews and work at this place then you will definitely find a good example of a company you will never want to join ever again. You can find out exactly what this place is like to work at by contacting former employees over LinkedIn and asking their opinion.

Cons

Where to start with cons? This place is a joke from the top down. A poor software interface that resembles something from the pre-2000 era. Software doesn't work properly most of the time. Research and industry information is bogus. CEO is a clown who changes strategy every week. He just needs to lean how to juggle. No pay rises to cope with inflation, which means that the longer you stay here the poorer you become. You only get a pay rise when you threaten to quit, the the Shaun Browne (CEO) throws money at you hoping that you stay. Recruitment process is a joke. Candidates are made to wait up to an hour after their scheduled interview time and get no prompt feedback.

September 6, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. In order to remain competitive and continue to provide our clients with the best technical site reviews and valuations in the world we are only seeking technically-qualified, resources experienced staff and non-technical people, such as yourself, unfortunately no longer have a place within AME. We apologize for the distress this has caused you and wish you all the best for the future.

"Authentic Mad-House Establishment (AME)"

I have been working at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time

Pros

Career Progression to a psychiatric ward, as a patient

Cons

- If you are not liked they will put you in performance improvement plan, which basically means you will be fired, with no entitlements in two weeks.

"Nothing changes"

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Racked my brains, can’t think of a single positive

Cons

I worked at AME a few years ago, so to see the current crop of (very) negative reviews is simultaneously unsurprising and remarkable. Remarkable because it seems as though nothing has changed in all these years. Still sounds like Shaun Browne is bullying and mistreating people. The atmosphere still sounds toxic. The culture of the organization is still riven with problems caused by Shaun. The quality of the work still sounds like it is very materially compromised by the extraordinarily high staff turnover, the lack of development and a leadership team that have absolutely no idea about the mining industry. Indeed I was often put in a position of either having to lie to clients about what work had been done, or having to profusely apologize for the substandard quality of the work, all while “the leadership” actually hid (and I mean actually physically hid). My time at AME was an eye opening experience, to see how an organisation should not be run and to work for someone I believe to be a genuinely unpleasant individual. I would caution anyone thinking about accepting a job here to reconsider and also recommend that organisations considering engaging AME for work to think about the quality of output they require.

"Mr"

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time

Pros

I think this company is only good for new migrants who want some local experience. But don't stay too long, otherwise you will healthy problem in physical and mental in your body.

Cons

1. The management level put all employee in high presure on each task and time frame. 2. The management level prefer employee work on 10+ hours a day 3. The management level did calculate/book employee's toilet, coffee,lunch and morning arrive time etc.. Did see someone get warning for these. 4. The office building is pool and old. All facilities are very pool. it Only got 2-3 toilets for whole building which are always broken.

August 2, 2018Team Member

Thanks for your feedback. Just to clear a few things up: - AME's hours are 8:30am - 6:00pm (with a 1 hour lunch break) which are the normal operating hours of any business (not sure if you've had a job before?) - We have 5 modern and fully functional bathrooms - We are lucky enough to work in a huge, spacious building (wood floors, huge glass windows, massive ceiling height and exposed brick walls - which is the very coveted New York loft style - I'm guessing interior design isn't your thing) - We don't calculate lunch/breaks/bathroom time (obviously) but we note arrival and departure time for the day, like every other business in the world (again, i'm not sure if you've ever had a job before?) We wish you all the best for the future.

"Great Tactic Replying to Reviews"

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The CEO is very tactical in replying to each and every review here trying to save his company’s reputation. Try harder!

Cons

We all know how aweful AME as a workplace because of the upper management.

October 15, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. In order to remain competitive, innovative and continue to provide our clients with the best technical site reviews and valuations in the world, we have shifted away from non-technical people, such as yourself, and are now only seeking technically qualified, resources experienced staff members. We apologize for the distress this has clearly caused you and wish you all the best for the future.

"Exciting place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for more than a year

Pros

AME has shifted from its old model into a fast paced, technically advanced and energetic start up. The work culture is collaborative and team based, and the staff are highly capable and technically skilled. If you enjoy being challenged and engaging in high-level thinking, then you will relish working at AME. Also, just for the other readers out there, take no note of the particularity nasty reviews as they are merely the the bitter resentments of a couple of former staff members who are each leaving multiple reviews in order to try to discredit the company. They clearly have a lot of time on their hands. I feel sorry for them.

Cons

Because of the fast paced environment, the scheduling and task specification was sometimes disorganised and confusing but management is currently taking steps to rectify this issue.

September 6, 2017CTO

We thank you for your feedback. We're so glad we have committed, hard working employees like yourself, who believe in our company as much as we do. We have been working hard to improve our organizational strategies and making sure all our employees have clear tasks and direction. We look forward to continuing to work with you, and developing the best technical products available.

"This is the one review to rule them all"

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to write the cons on Glassdoor when I left. These reviews are smuggled into the office like western media into North Korea. These reviews give the poor souls still trapped there hope for the future. Plus they are also good for a laugh on Friday when you get beer. Oh look. A single. Realistic. Pro.

Cons

This website has said a great deal about AME. I don’t see any point in repeating what has already been said by past employees. It clearly doesn’t stop people from entering through the door for an interview. Therefore, the aim of this review is to stop people from even bothering to apply for anything posted by this company. The worst thing about this company is not the physically demanding hours and pathetic excuse for a wage (although these two reasons are pretty bad). No, the worst thing about this company is how it will change you psychologically. It will warp you. It will corrupt you. The perverse nature of simply existing within these walls will destroy you. And the worst part is you won’t even notice it. Not until you tell friends. You’ll even joke about. You’ll say something like… “Someone else got fired today. It’s the third one this month. And they’ve only been here for two days! Then gone, poof. I didn’t even bother remembering their name. I don’t bother remembering anyone’s name unless they’ve been here for over a month”. Then you’ll probably laugh. HAHAHAHAHA. Your friends will be shocked. They’ll probably say something like. “I can’t believe such a terrible place exists. You have to leave”. And you’ll just shrug it off. Maybe you’ll blame the terrible job market. Or maybe you'll point out the fact that rent doesn’t pay itself. However, it doesn’t change the fact you laughed. Think about it. You laughed, you mocked someone in the exact same situation as you. They also exist in a terrible job market and I bet they have to pay rent too. You saw someone in the same terrible situation as you and you joked and laughed at their misery. Aren’t you also miserable? Of course you are. You work at AME. Why are you laughing at someone in the exact same situation as you? Would you laugh a homeless person on the street? Or someone lying on a hospital bed? I know the laughter is ironic. It is the cynical snickering that comes from black humour. Everyone here shares the same fate. United in adversity, as you will read in all the other reviews. But ask yourself. Right now. As someone who has not been tainted by AME. Would you laugh if someone else got fired for doing nothing wrong in their first few days? If you’re already at AME, it is too late. But hey, at least there’s beer on Friday right? And this is why AME is so terrible. It is so cancerous that it strips you of basic human compassion. If you work here you will no longer be able to look at people as if they were actually people. New people are just sacrifices, a fresh batch of souls cooking in the oven for the CEO. Working here will remove something that is basically ingrained into you at birth because you cannot believe something so perversely inhumane (the CEO) has the audacity to assume the form of a normal functioning human being. Beware the wolf in sheep’s clothing. If he’s charming to you in the interview (if you even get what could pass off as an interview), press the Glassdoor button. He will be so flustered you’ll think English is his second language. He might even get out some paper and draw a lot of diagrams to prove god knows what.

September 7, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that leaving fictitious Glassdoor reviews has become a favoured hobby of yours. You're clearly very comical and have a love of outrageous storytelling. May I suggest a career in stand up or the theatre? I think your talents are being wasted in the resources industry. We wish you all the best for the future.

"Industry Economist"

Former Employee - Industry Economist in Sydney

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The second oldest building as office in Sydney Cool old fashioned lift Hard working young people who r willing to spend 14+ hours in office Learning curve not acceptable Owner throw u to the job straight away

Cons

Worst work experience in my 13 year career, please just don't even try Horrible slavery culture, no respect to people Crazy long working hours Recycle market news from public media and other info suppliers No methodology to back up reports Extremely high turnover unlocked toilet, big smelly wheels rubbish bins beside the pantry.

September 6, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to hear you liked our office building and appreciate that our staff are hard-working. In regards to your concerns, we promote a work-life balance and our office hours are 8:30am - 6:00pm, which we feel is very reasonable, particularly for our competitive industry. Furthermore, our toilets all have locks and we have regular closed-lid bins in our kitchens. We have had some turnovers recently, given our shift away from non-technical people and towards technically-qualified staff with resources experience, so that we can remain competitive and continue to provide the best technical analysis and software tools for our clients. If you would like a confidential discussion with one of our managers, please contact ame@amegroup.com. We wish you all the best for the future.

"Disgusting place to work. Avoid."

I worked at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time

Pros

Your colleagues are generally decent and united in the shared disrespect of Shaun Brown.

Cons

The problems with AME lie directly with the owner, Shaun Browne. At best, his management is comically awful with compulsive decision making, value-destroying about-turns and a child-like understanding of the technical aspects of the mining and oil and gas industries. At worst, Shaun Browne is a chronic bully - mentally, verbally and physical. He appears to contrive tension by pitting staff against each other. Senseless personnel changes are ongoing and poorly communicated. You could suddenly be reporting to someone else or, unbeknownst to you, people reporting to you could suddenly be reporting to a different colleague. Shaun Browne has a Trump-like ego and is blithely unaware of his own ineptitude. He has owned this business for over 25 years and literally knows nothing else outside those four walls. It is painfully obvious to even the youngest of analysts who have worked in professionally-run organisations that he is quite clueless. Unfortunately this makes Shaun Browne quite condescending and will constantly remind the staff that he has "being doing this longer than anyone else" and considers that justification for his poor decision making. If you’re going for a BD role, do not expect to last for longer than 6 months. Otherwise, if you show any initiative you will be exploited mercilessly and dumped after a couple of years. The office is made up with those trying to work out what is going and those that are trying to leave. Do not fall for his faux charm and self-deprecation - it is fake as the positive reviews he organises for this site.

September 7, 2017CTO

Thanks for your feedback. In order to remain competitive, innovative and continue to provide our clients with the best technical site reviews and valuations in the world, we have shifted away from non-technical people, such as yourself, and are now only seeking technically qualified, resources experienced staff members. We apologise for the distress this has caused you and wish you all the best finding another job.

"Glassdoor for Sale"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sydney

I have been working at AME Group (Hong Kong) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday is one day closer to death! If you can last more than a year at AME, that is worth putting on your Resume.

Cons

DO NOT BELIEVE ANY POSITIVE POSTS ABOUT AME!! The only thing worse than working at AME is knowing that AME can pay third party companies, or even Glassdoor itself to remove some of the negative posts and place higher weighting to positive comments, that have been clearly written by the owner or his immediate family. I have previously been tasked with signing up to 'Internet Reputation' companies that we pay to try to improve our image on Glassdoor. If you are applying for a Business Development or Human Resources position, don't bother! I my 2 years here I have not seen anyone last more than 4 months, most last only a week or so. Turnover here is huge, circa 60-70% per year. The people that stay (myself included) are either brainwashed, have limited opportunities elsewhere due to the market, or are just starting out and need to prove themselves. There are no perks, the owner of the company tries to be charming but once you're there he will dictate every aspect of your employment down to the colour short you wear, where you will sit (which changes weekly), and he even tries to interfere with people's personal lives. To say the owner is a micromanager is the understatement of the year. Nightmares will become commonplace. Long hours are expected. You will be given 10 times the amount of work that would normally be expected. Your job title will change monthly and if you are good at your job, he will pile more and more work on that person until they break. It is heartbreaking to see because these are some of the best people I have ever worked with. Without the owners constant interfering and crazy behaviour, this company could go places. Unfortunately the company remains stagnant, always trying to replace lost staff, instead of focussing on what it's good at. Please do not accept a job here unless you have absolutely no choice. But if you do, to sum up a post put up here about a year ago, you will find we are 'together in adversity!' Contact current or ex-staff to confirm all this.

September 7, 2017CTO

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you don't feel appreciated as we work hard to provide our clients with a great working environment and career growth opportunities. We understand that you're upset but instead of writing fictitious slander, please come and talk to us! We always want our employees to feel valued and enthusiastic about their role. Work/life balance is really important to us at AME, which is why we never work weekends and have a closing time of 6pm - which is rare in our competitive industry. Innovation and product development is at the top of our priority list - always has been and always will be. We are expanding rapidly and hope you join us on our fantastic new path. And, if not, we wish you all the best for the future.

Found 33 reviews