ANZ Bank Employee Reviews about "restructures"

Updated 24 Jul 2020

ANZ Bank CEO Shayne Elliott
Shayne Elliott
Pros
Cons
  • "Frequent restructures then they will just revert back to what things were(in 54 reviews)

• "Diversity within senior management could be improved(in 47 reviews)

Reviews about "restructures"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Making progress slowly"

5.0
    Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at ANZ Bank part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great flexibility Focused development Opportunity to learn and grow Will be leaving ANZ shortly but I have had a great career here. It has been a great place to learn and grow and I have had some amazing and supportive managers who have really helped me to develop and for them I will be grateful.

Cons

Too many restructures & uncertainty but it is getting better but too much red tape. Hope they continue to drive for the changes they are looking for.

April 15, 2019Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It's great to know that our managers have been supportive of your career throughout your stay. We wish you all the best in your next endeavor!

2. COVID-19

"Great work/life balance.. but think twice about working in Technology."

Current Employee - Chapter Lead - Engineering in Melbourne

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The company has great work/life balance - perfect for those people planning or already with young families. - The company response to COVID has been uniform and cohesive. - The opportunity to grow and develop skills is quite unique for a large organisation, especially at junior levels. - There are plenty of juicy challenges to tackle for entrepreneurial types - Pay is higher than the rest of the market, especially for Melbourne. - Flatter management hierarchy has been excellent at conveying information. - Some teams are working with some really good technology and are doing some interesting work.

Cons

- Chapter Lead model doesn't really work. Don't expect to be very hands on as a chapter lead. Most of the time you will have lots of people responsibilities at the expense of your skill development. - Product Owner model doesn't work. Product Owners are mostly just ex Project Managers (of which ANZ had a lot of pre Transformation). They are not well versed on how to build products for customers and work with design and engineering/IT teams. - As an engineer you are mostly working with vendors alongside you, which is fine but the permanent engineer culture is a bit weak. - Most of the organisation is still quite tribal with everyone trying to outshine each other. Collaboration and Trust across divisions is low. Voluntary redundancy cleared out the better talent in 2018 and left a lot of dead wood which got promoted during the last restructure. - Most of the technology used to perform our jobs is getting quite old. Use of new tools or technology like Miro, Trello or Slack are frowned upon. The use of cloud services like AWS or GCP is nascent but slowly becoming available. - The culture has regressed more recently (2020) towards being more bureaucratic rather than autonomous. - There is a culture of white anting at senior and mid management levels for those that are seen to put their head above the parapet.

3. "ANZ"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Associate in Sydney

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time

Pros

Generally good culture & people

Cons

Promotion freezes and regular restructures

4. COVID-19

"Was a good place to work for until John McFarlane left."

1.0
    Current Employee - Small Business Banker in Melbourne

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time

Pros

-Top 4 bank and possible opportunities for international roles. -If you're based in Melbourne the head office is in Melbourne so opportunities to network and move to other roles. -Work/Life balance to some extent however being eroded by increasing micro management and constant unproductive meetings in certain pockets that takes time away from doing your work and interacting with customers.

Cons

-The constant restructures and changes in strategy has led to great staff leaving, ancient and disparate systems. -I have observed many experienced staff not treated with respect but often lip service, lack of transperancy with job roles, promotions. Too many managers that are "yes men" to senior managers but cannot manage people being kept on and those that helped staff and customers most pushed out. I have observed this senior manager promoting his own people on ethnic lines. -Despite the Royal Commission the bank has not learnt and despite the KRAs places the biggest emphasis on drawdowns only despite the lip service around needs based conversations. Recent restructure initiated by the new management in small business clearly demonstrated this. -The business used to focus on balance sheet management and took into account the differences with the portfolios and states and focus on service however now increasingly it is about drawdowns only and not customers or equitable treatment of employees. Many are gaming the system and being rewarded. -Staff continually directed to undertake annual leave amidst covid yet management saying it's business as usual now and focusing on drawdowns yet assessors are on leave resulting in increased wait times. -Offshoring has resulted in clearly worse outcomes for customers and employees. Rework and appeals required to get things done due to lack of understanding.

5. "Broker Manager"

5.0

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, great income, great workplace environment,

Cons

Restructures appear to happen far too often.

April 8, 2019Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback!

6. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and market competitiveness

Cons

Change management during restructure

"HR Business Partner"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Melbourne

I worked at ANZ Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great professional development, great opportunities to learn different skills across the various business units which are often like separate businesses.

Cons

too many restructures - beyond that which one needs to remain relevant in a fast moving world

Continue reading

"Great place to work but a lot of uncertainty in the next 12 months"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Melbourne

I worked at ANZ Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance Pay is better comparing to competitors CEO is approachable and willing to change Plenty of job opportunities within the organisation

Cons

Constant restructure (NWOW NWOW was noble idea but should not apply to the whole organisation

"Get paid a lot for not doing much"

2.0
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ANZ Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Great pay * Work flexibility * Great people to work with

Cons

* A lot of politics * Old technology and platforms * Too many siloes * Restructuring when I was there. Many of the companies helping to restructure had no idea what they were talking about. ANZ was in a rush to work agilely, forcing great people to leave without contingency plans.

August 23, 2018ANZ

We consider all feedback as a means to improving in any way we can as an organization. Thank you for providing your review. ANZ

10. "Great culture"

I have been working at ANZ Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of development opportunities through internal and external courses

Cons

Regular restructures. Too much focus on hiring internally.

Found 54 reviews