Airbnb Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 22 Jul 2020

Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance: have to put in a lot of hours just to stay on top of your file load(in 66 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains for our size, honestly(in 35 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Marketing"

5.0

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

- Amazing org culture - Lives and breathes diversity and inclusion - Work life balance

Cons

- Constant changes mean you need to be adaptable but this also provides significant learning opportunities

2. "Amazing culture and mission"

5.0

I have been working at Airbnb

Pros

Airbnb is one of the friendliest and happy places I have worked at. Everyone truly makes you feel welcome whenever you get to see them. They've also brought on some world class talent in senior roles that means we are much more focused on where we are headed in the next few years. I really believe that we can do some great things. Its also nice to work at a place where those hosts and guests in our community really love the brand.

Cons

As with any company growing this size there are still plenty of systems that aren't just in place yet. The company is also getting much larger and so it's easier to walk around and see many faces you don't know. Feels less like a really close family each day. Sometimes you feel like work/life balance doesn't always work.

3. "Great colleagues, nice perks!"

Former Employee - Guest Experience Specialist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues: smart hardworking individuals Perks: travel credits, on-site gym, free breakfast, coffee and sparkling water

Cons

Work/life balance: have to put in a lot of hours just to stay on top of your file load Salesforce: poorly designed and inefficient Parking: if you have to drive your car

"Great culture but with weak leadership and some bad apples"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company takes care of you. - Work life balance can be achieved without too much pressure. - Smart colleagues

Cons

- Leadership and middle management mostly unvetted with little experience. - Self-promotion leading to unideal outcomes for users and the company (eg., tech debt, not telling full view of results). - Cutting corners leads to long term costs and over-hiring of teams to maintain unmaintainable systems. - Poor feedback loop means managers and leaders are left not accountable.

Continue reading
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Payment Analyst in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

work/life balance is the main priority for the managers

Cons

some recognition can still work only thanks to networking and not competencies

6. "Amazing culture and work-life balance"

Former Employee - University Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Airbnb has the most amazing company culture. People are mission and values-driven, are incredibly intelligent and very collaborative. You're able to have work-life balance and contribute to broader company initiatives based on your interest.

Cons

Given the size and age of the company, it's still working on scaling itself and being streamlined internally.

"Great place"

2.0
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides a good work life balance

Cons

Culture and morale is damaged

8. "Good Place to Have Work-life Balance"

Former Employee - Operations Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Take care of its employees, friendly team-working environment and great work-life balance and flexibility

Cons

There's a gap between junior level and senior positions--lack of promoted mid-level manager. Hard to climb the ladder inside the company.

"Sales Support"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Definitely a west coast vibe. A lot of smart and hard working people from around the world. Benefits are great and some positions pay well.

Cons

If you are in sales watch out!! You will find yourself working all hours of the day. With zero work life balance. This is expected of you. Impossible to work less than 55 hours a week. If you have a family I would think twice about applying here. I would travel to come back 3 weeks later and see people in their 20’s age as if it was 5 years later.

"Messy."

Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

All of the usual tech company perks, plus a quarterly travel credit.

Cons

*Young, inexperienced mid and senior level management, who leadership believes are "great." These young managers are catty, entitled, don't understand people who aren't 25, and don't have a baseline understanding of what they can and cannot legally say and do. *Lacking diversity when it comes to age + race or ethnicity *Top down leadership style *Work/life balance is lacking for many areas *If research doesn't say what design and PMs want, then it doesn't count. If you are a researcher, RUN, and run FAST.

Continue reading