Amazon.com Reviews

Updated 9 February 2016
1,918 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

1,918 Employee Reviews

1. "Tier 1 Fulfillment Associate"

Current Employee - FC Associate in Patterson, CA (US)
    Current Employee - FC Associate in Patterson, CA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are hired as an Amazonian you will get a pay check every 2 weeks. If you are a go-getter and can impress the managers you may move up to a Tier 3 associate(PA-Process Assistant) (there is not a tier 2 associate position in the fulfillment DC). They have restricted stocks as a benefit. Once a year they offer cash to those who want to quit Amazon. You cannot return if you take the money. People and most of management are good to work for and with. Amazon does offer contests, Amazon bucks, rewards such as a free lunch for doing well. Pay raises every 6 months. Great benefits and the ability to take time off when you want to through paid time off (PTO 40 hours a year) Unpaid time off (UPT 80 hours a year) and vacation 80 hours a year.

Cons

Most people who are promoted to a Process Assistant (PA)(Tier 3) are pre picked before the applications are filled out and interviews are finished. The managers encourage everyone to apply and schedule an interview. But the fact is the managers already picked the people they want and the managers are using numbers to tell the associates and whoever would like to know that management is fair. Pay is low and has not increased at all since Amazon opened in Patterson 2013, all the while, the warehouses around Amazon and in Patterson pay much more on an hourly basis. Knowing that hourly pay has risen by 2.5% across the nation today, the starting wage should be at the very least $13.84 an hour With the average hourly associate working two years in the Patterson DC making 14.50 an hour should be raised to $14.86 an hour. Management has people train and work in different areas where it requires more responsibility, knowledge and,sometimes, danger without compensation of any type. Amazon management skirts compensating these employees by allowing the Associate to only work part time in the newly trained area of responsibility. Management needs to compensate associate for learning and applying new skills.

Advice to Management

As far as promotions to Tier 3 Process Assistants have a committee of Tier 1 and Tier 3 associates over see the application and interview process to ensure fairness. Increase wages for associates across the board to match the 2.5% increase seen this today as the labor report

2. "Technical Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot in a short period of time. They said 1 year at Amazon is like 5 years somewhere else. I felt that way during my 4 years.

Cons

Work/life balance. I worked 10-12 hours a day and was exhausted. They don't tell you that you need to work that many hours, but if you want to get promoted then you have to put in the effort.

Advice to Management

Promote more. It was very hard for people to get promoted in my org. I believe this depends on the team/org.

"The NY Time Article is True"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people, but they think they are smarter than anyone else.

Cons

Management is very young and don't have experience outside of Amazon.

Advice to Management

Please look into taking management classes because if you didn't force employees to sign the NDA' you'd have a lot more lawsuits.

5. "Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

Pros

Ownership - Wherever you are in the hierarchy you have projects to own and drive. If you like challenges then Amazon challenges you by allowing you to own projects and deliver them. It is especially very good if you plan on building a strong set of experiences. Leadership principles - Leadership principles drive Amazon's culture and they are very well crafted. Adhering to them has made Amazon what it is today and hence the leadership principles are worth a praise Impact - Each problem you solve here has a definite impact at the ground level (to the customer). You improve a process, you create a system, you innovate and deliver... whatever you do it drives productivity and customer satisfaction. That is one big plus of your work here. You can see the impact you create right away in a few days to weeks time. No other place will help you with such awesomeness. Customer interaction - Many companies shield their employees from the customers. Only a specific set of people are allowed such contact. Whereas Amazon trusts you and puts you in direct touch with customers. Interesting problems to solve & Learning - There are a huge number of interesting problems to solve in Amazon. In this process you learn a lot in a very short span of time. That is one big plus. Career growth - You work hard then you grow fast. Promos are not time based (in general) and are heavily performance driven. If you want to learn, solve interesting problems and make an impact then Amazon is the place to be in

Cons

There is only one motto here. Work hard, have zero fun and make Bezos very rich :). Oh, money they hand over to you is meager compared to what you contribute to this company. Culture - Dog eat dog culture. Candidates are pitted against each other in everything and you have to fight your way out. An example to this is that, my manager kept me in the dark and showcased my immensely successful project to the Vice President and earned accolades for it. I was forced to go attend another meeting during that time (and I couldnt do anything about it). I came to know about it when the VP started praising my manager in a meeting with the SVP. Work / Life - Depending on your team you either have too much of life or too much of work. There is no middle ground. Too much work makes it a very exciting place but your health gets affected. If you like being a part of a pack of wolves, can sustain harsh treatment and believe that career growth comes at the expense of life then Amazon is the place to be in. Intense work environment: Depending on the team, papers get thrown around (or on your face). Profanities directed at a personal level are made and all of it is directed only towards whether you win your point or the opponent wins it. There is absolutely zero listening. It is always 100% talk pushing your points down someone elses throat, However forceful it might be. You grow only that way. Hard work is a given and smart work is also given. What matters then is how long can you work without sleeping and taking holidays. That determines your success here :). NYTimes article is correct to certain extent and it is not entirely incorrect.

Advice to Management

Bezos should know where to draw the line between employee exploitation and fun. Amazon is no longer a unicorn startup. It has been 20 years and expectation of employees from Amazon is far different from startups. It makes sense for Amazon to at least match up its incentives with the marketplace rather than always expecting people to cash in on stocks which has more or less hit the roof.

6. "Brand Specialist"

Pros

The company name obviously comes with perks

Cons

A huge lack of transparency between management. Exceptionally political atmosphere where no one really wants to say the truth: Amazon is a company without a central vision.

Advice to Management

Recognize that you're a worldwide player and as such need more communication between groups. Remove the constant focus on tenure and consider an employees abilities when determining what to have each person do.

7. "Immense opportunity at some cost"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Cape Town (South Africa)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

I get to work with some of the brightest people in the world, which is a truly amazing experience. Being surrounded by this much talent really helps you to lift your own game. I also get to build software that is used by (very large number) of software developers around the world, and which impacts >1 billion of their users. That's just insane.

Cons

That insane amount of impact also leads to crazy pressure when things aren't going right. The weight of the world will be on your shoulders. Are you Atlas? I'm not. It can hurt. You've also got to be incredibly careful not to try keeping up with everyone else around you, or you will burn out. Just accept that everybody else is likely smarter than you, and you've just got to do the best you can. Learn to say no sometimes.

Advice to Management

Deliver Results is the last leadership principle on the list, not the first. We should value people not only for what they delivered this quarter and year, but for how they went about doing it. The impact they had on our customers, our company and our teams. We should demonstrate that valuing publicly and frequently.

8. "senior web developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Pros

good place and people to work with

Cons

management is too slow in taking any decision

"More work for less number of people"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

People are really smart here.

Cons

Work/life balance, Pager duty, Seattle Weather

Advice to Management

So much customer obsession, time to be obsessed about employees too

10. "Physical Job"

Former Employee - Outbound Operations Associate in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Outbound Operations Associate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok Money easy to get hired

Cons

Physical labor, can get very tiring work

"Amazon EU"

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very interesting and dynamic place to work, some of the people who work there are truly impressive and everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

Cons

There is a general disregard for the wellbeing of the employees which manifests itself in a high level of turnover and many really good people leaving.

Advice to Management

The kudos of working for a successful company is currently a big draw but the lack of focus on employee wellbeing will ultimately stunt the growth of such a great company.

Showing 1,918 of 7,796 reviews