AmeriCan Adventures Tour Leader Reviews

Updated 9 Dec 2019

4.4
AmeriCan Adventures CEO Andy Duncan   (no image)
Andy Duncan
1 Rating
  1. "Great company culture"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at AmeriCan Adventures for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, exciting new places, autonomy, paid to travel and see the US! Your coworkers will become lifelong friends. Management is supportive, mentoring, and very knowledgeable/understanding.

Cons

Long hours, lots of driving, sometimes solo for days or even weeks at a time with your group.

Continue reading
  2. "Fun company and good stepping stone"

4.0
    Former Employee - Tour Leader in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at AmeriCan Adventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being a tour leader is a life-changing experience and one of the best times of my life. You learn skills that are applicable to any future job and get to travel and explore the country in the process. The best part is your coworkers and the family that you make of some of the most incredible and interesting people ever. It's also just plain fun. It's a great job for motivated people that don't need someone looking over their shoulder, except those pesky passengers.

Cons

HARD WORK. Tour leading isn't for the faint of heart and someone that wants to sleep in and enjoy their weekends. There is little to no work/life balance and you are working long, hard hours. The pay can be great for saving as you don't need to be paying rent.

Continue reading
  3. "Great job for adventurous outgoing travelers."

Current Employee - Tour Leader

I have been working at AmeriCan Adventures full-time

Pros

Work seasonally and save money.

Cons

Very hectic work schedule, but for good reason-- you only have to work half the year.

4. "Lots of Ups and Downs"

I worked at AmeriCan Adventures for more than 3 years

Pros

-Travel North America as a tour leader -Learn how to innovate and think on your feet -Meet people in the industry -They'll train you to get your CDL, which you can use anywhere For me, this was the best and worst job I've ever had. Although the perks are abundant (get paid to travel North America and see absolutely stunning parks and museums) the cons are on par. There is only one person assigned to guide and drive all 13 pax and they will work you relentlessly from sunrise until you pass out. I think the main skills you can learn from this job are how to keep an excellent game face when everything is going wrong, how to quickly assess and solve problems and how to be a well organized, logistics pro. A lot of people also complain about the wages but their really not that bad, just variable. What you make is largely dependent on the trips you get, the length of your season, and the generosity of your passengers. A good leader should be able to save up several thousand dollars over the course of their season but if you get stuck out East or your season gets cut short, you won't walk away with much. No matter how your season goes, you will get the opportunity to see amazing things and meet cool people. As bad as it was at times, I never regretted doing it.

Cons

-Extremely demanding work schedule -Get evaluated by all pax at the end of trip and paid according to their opinions -'Good ol' Boys/Girls' Culture in the office My biggest complaint about the job was the inter-office shenanigans. Their is a strong party culture at AmAd, and if it was just a few beers I think it'd be okay but their is a genuine culture of drunk debauchery here that produces some seriously bad decisions. It's routine for senior leaders to have open containers of beer or liquor in the backseats while the 'first year leaders' drive them to company parties, risking their Commercial Driver's Licenses. Additionally, the managers come on to the leaders, which on paper is strictly forbidden but to give you an example of how it's enforced: one year a manager got into a relationship with one of his trainees ON HER TRAINING TRIP, then he broke up with her after a few months and started dating the accounting intern. When the managerial staff has complete control over how long your season goes and what trips you get, it makes it extremely uncomfortable knowing you might have to gently decline their advances or tolerate their come ons to maintain your livelihood. It didn't seem like their was much point in going to HR when the guy who worked in the office next to them every day was dating two different inferiors in the SAME season. I don't think the men get it any easier than the women for the record, I heard male tour leaders complaining about similar treatment from their female manager. In the event of problems on the trip the management staff was willing to act unethically to resolve problems. For example: telling guides to lie and say the hotel messed up the reservations when in reality, the company failed to book the accommodations. The grading system used by passengers is too hard on guides. Even though nothing goes wrong on the trip and the passengers get everywhere on time and get everything they were promised, if they don't have fun, they can still give you a terrible review and compromise your bonus. In the same trip, I've gotten 12 amazing reviews and 1 bad one that was clearly fictitious. It still counts, even though everyone else had an amazing time and one guy wrote in blatant lies.

AmeriCan Adventures Response

November 30, 2018Human Resources Manager

Hello, thank you for your feedback. While we are glad there were many positives during your time working with us, it was concerning to read the negative details about management behavior and company culture that you experienced. We take any reports of harassment and illegal conduct very seriously and regret that you did not feel HR would be helpful in addressing your concerns. After looking into this, we are confident that we know which managers you are referring to and that the situations you reference occurred several years before this review was submitted. Assuming we are correct, we want to make clear that the managers referenced in your review no longer work for AmeriCan Adventures, and we believe that the current management in place would not engage in the type of behavior described.

5. "Fun but your life is your job"

I worked at AmeriCan Adventures for more than a year

Pros

Unique experience, see the country, meet international people and like minded tour leaders, fun office with cornhole and dogs.

Cons

Driving up to 400 miles a day, for many days in a row, seriously a lot of driving.

6. "Great experience."

4.0
    Tour Group Leader

I worked at AmeriCan Adventures

Pros

Great way to get paid to travel the US. Very demanding, isolating job at times, but well worth it to see the country.

Cons

Consuming job. You're at the mercy of their schedule for the most part. Difficult to take time off, but you generally know what you're signing up for.

7. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Tour Group Leader in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at AmeriCan Adventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun Company; they treat employees well and seem to really care about all aspects of business. Lots of support to all employees.

Cons

Work as a tour guide is hard; however, totally worth it for the right person. Must like camping and the great outdoors, as well as, driving.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews