American Income Life Reviews

Updated 23 Sep 2020

3.7
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "you will make a lot of money if you put in the work(in 103 reviews)

• "This company works on an Opportunity Unlimited Philosophy and that truly means unlimited(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours which can be difficult and young staff which can also be difficult for older applicants(in 265 reviews)

• "100% commission based pay so that makes it difficult(in 113 reviews)

"Not very honest from the start"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at American Income Life full-time

Pros

- Support and Motivation - Can make good money if making sales

Cons

- Weren’t honest and upfront about the whole training cost/process and hours to be worked once actually working. - most of your work is outside 9-5 hours so you’ll be visiting people’s homes on afternoons/weekenights and weekends (when they’re home from work). Instead, you are sold to the idea that you can work whenever you want, which is rather true, but deceptive in the sense that most of your leads and customers have work commitments and the most suitable times to meet them are after hours. - leads are initially promised but end up being recycled or no good - Bait and switch. You will claim to deliver “free” kids safety package to parents but end up trying to sell insurance once you’re there.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into your experience.

2. "Insurance agent"

2.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at American Income Life

Pros

Good compensation for starters, good guidance from superior

Cons

no leads, bad company's culture

"Might Be The Longest & Hopefully the Most Honest & Balanced Review on Glassdoor Concerning AIL. Please read to the end!"

Current Employee - Regional Director

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

"Best Opportunity for a Lifelong Career"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at American Income Life part-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid for your effort. High Effort + High pay. It the trifecta - High paying, supportive environment and a fulfilling service oriented career! What more could one ask for in a career?!

Cons

You must be strongly self-disciplined and, initially (first 3-5 years) must be willing to sacrifice some lifestyle creature comforts - but it WILL be worth it.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the opportunity to make a generous income that correlates with the amount of hard work and effort you put in. As you know, this career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally with a strong and dedicated work ethic. Best wishes to a long future of success with us!

5. "energetic place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

potential to make great bonus.

Cons

none come to mind at this time

6. "A wonderful opportunity, but you have to WANT it."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome teamwork and support along with tons of encouragement and little to no sugarcoating when it comes to the effort, time, and work you must put in to succeed.

Cons

So far I have none to speak of.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the positive work environment that we encourage at AIL. Having a strong support system for our agents is very important to us and we're glad you're benefiting. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career!

7. "Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Managing General Agent

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Amazing place to work. Great environment to grow as a business man.

Cons

Hard work but it pays off

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and for your years of hard work and dedication to AIL. Providing our agents with the opportunity to make a generous living while offering valuable financial protection to working families in the community is our goal. As you know, with a strong work ethic and our supportive management this career can be very rewarding. Best wishes to even more years of success and fulfillment at AIL.

8. "American Income Life"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Income Life full-time

Pros

Great pay if you're willing to put in effort

Cons

Commission based, need to use own resources

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the opportunity to make a generous income that correlates with the amount of hard work and effort you put in. As you know, this career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally with a strong and dedicated work ethic. Best wishes to a long future of success at AIL.

"Too many hours"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

you will make a lot of money if you put in the work

Cons

no work life balance . Work becomes your life.

HR Manager

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry our AIL agent position didn’t completely meet your expectations. This career can be a rewarding experience with hard work and dedication but isn't a perfect fit for everyone. Good luck to you in the future and thank you for your contributions to our team and customers.

10. "Great opportunity, but..."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Middletown, CT
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, professional, kind/helpful management, opportunity to make 6 figures in bonuses, contests, and sales

Cons

In order to make money you HAVE to sell. No sales no check at all. Which can be difficult because there is no such thing as work-life balance here so, have 2 jobs may be impossible.

HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. While we're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to AIL, we're sorry you're not completely satisfied with your experience. So that we can look further into your situation and take the necessary steps to improve our agents' path to success we invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Found 2646 reviews