American Income Life Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2021

Found 3,152 of over 3,817 reviews

3.6
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "you will make a lot of money if you put in the work(in 107 reviews)

• "This company works on an Opportunity Unlimited Philosophy and that truly means unlimited(in 99 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours if trying to be in management but well worth it if you want to retire in 10 years(in 279 reviews)

• "There are no cons other than the 100% commission maybe, however this can also be a pro as the structure is impressive(in 123 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not very honest from the start

Jun 5, 2020 - Sales Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Support and Motivation - Can make good money if making sales

Cons

- Weren’t honest and upfront about the whole training cost/process and hours to be worked once actually working. - most of your work is outside 9-5 hours so you’ll be visiting people’s homes on afternoons/weekenights and weekends (when they’re home from work). Instead, you are sold to the idea that you can work whenever you want, which is rather true, but deceptive in the sense that most of your leads and customers have work commitments and the most suitable times to meet them are after hours. - leads are initially promised but end up being recycled or no good - Bait and switch. You will claim to deliver “free” kids safety package to parents but end up trying to sell insurance once you’re there.

Continue reading
      2 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re very sorry our AIL agent position didn’t meet your expectations. Your situation is not indicative of our management style and we apologize if you felt you were misled. We invite you to send us an email to AILfeedback@ailife.com with more agency details so that we can look further into your experience.

2. 2.0

Insurance agent

Oct 7, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation for starters, good guidance from superior

Cons

no leads, bad company's culture

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Pros

So many pros here....let's start with: 1) Freedom & flexibility- the ability to be an independent contractor (1099 associate) who can set their own hours, work pace, and income level. 2) Preparation for the future- It is also nice that you can utilize AIL to gain valuable knowledge about sales, marketing, business development, communications and almost any other valuable skill/trait you would normally acquire in a university/college setting before setting out into the professional world. AIL is a great place for people to develop a solid core for what may lie ahead in their future for what they ultimately want to do for the rest of their lives. 3) A fully-vested, Union-protected 10-year renewal plan makes achieving whatever you want to do in life possible- whether it is starting your own business or a non-profit, without taking out huge small business loans. Work hard now- enjoy the financial benefits for the rest of your life. 4) The socialization aspect: from policyholders to co-workers to the random person that opens up the door to you on a daily basis there is never a boring day @ AIL. In short, we get paid to drive, talk, and help educate people on how to be financially literate when it comes to insurance and savings. Also, we get invited to BBQ's, family functions, and many other cool events from our members. It is impossible to work @ AIL and not develop a strong social network as a result of working here! 5) The opportunity to be given recognition and additional responsibilities based on your own results, instead of on tenure or who you know 6) Legitimate 6-figure income reality...I've personally only had 1 year under $100,000 and I took a ton of time off that year. I had never made more than 50,000 per year working 60-70 hours per week in retail prior to AIL. 7) Good Senior Leadership/Mentors: although rare, this company truly some fantastic individuals sitting in high-profile & decision-making positions within the company...many of whom truly live the company's mottos and operating principles to the 'T' 8) Ability to rebound quickly in a financial crisis- whether it happens directly or indirectly to you there a very few professional opportunities where you can go make an extra 10K or so the following month, even if you are not a manager. While money is the root of all evil, it can also help you do great by and support those around when times get tough. As long as someone focuses on the beneficial aspects of the monetary opportunity at AIL they will be in a good place. 9) Running your own business- as long as you are showing results and growth, you can run your own office(s) with nearly absolute autonomy. But, unlike running your own traditional business, you have the support of a Fortune 700 company and its senior leaders when you need it. It's the best of both world's really.

Cons

NOTE: Every individual AIL office is franchised and no two are exactly alike in nature...just like a fast-food chain or multiple-location gym. Depending on your SGA (AIL franchise-owner), RGA, MGA, and other upline managers, you may have the above-mentioned freedom & financial opportunities inhibited by several factors including: 1) Micromanagement- many managers treat their associates like W-2 employees in their daily interactions with them and should be reminded of the 6-Point Test for Independent Contractors to help them develop a working relationship that is more true to the nature of their contract. Recommend to do something, but not require them to do something. Small but huge difference between the two. 2) Too heavy of a focus on the scripts- teach your associates the script and it's key components but don't hold back their creativity and interpretation of the presentation- remember, you hired them because they were intelligent beings (I hope)...not script-reciting robots. 3) Mandatory Meetings- yikes, this is a huge legal volcano waiting to bury the SGA's of this company. Recommend attendance and explain why it is important associates are there...and leave it at that. 4) Lack of accountability from senior management- remember, you are not infallible...quit making promises you can't back up and if you fail to uphold your end of the bargain, make it right in whatever way possible! 5) Buddy-buddy system- depending on the SGA, many are very cliquey and develop too tight of an inner-circle where the general attitude becomes very akin to a fanatic cult. Stay true to your standards and guidelines, not to who challenges you the least and edifies the very ground you walk on 6) Chargebacks and selective underwriting- you may actually owe the money back to the company if you submit a policy that does not get issued due to health, even though sometimes the insured met the underwriting guidelines of the field guide you were issued. AIL also does not like to underwrite large policies for some reason. 7) Too many traps in the bonus system- many times as a senior manager I have not earned the bonuses I projected on earning because of the several pitfalls in the bonus system, such as the quality of the downline manager (the manager you are supervising), the fact that your downline managers did not code enough new associates (even though you might have) 8) The Peter-principle- associates are promoted to management positions to rapidly in many SGAships across AIL so they never get a chance to fully grow into their previous role and end up failing miserably at everything. Give junior associates more time to hone their skills before throwing the next task(s) at them. If you want to grow so bad, go do it yourself and stop forcing others to take on your responsibilities.

Continue reading
      1833 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your thorough review of the AIL opportunity. We appreciate you taking the time to help others understand the uniqueness of our Independent Agent position. We enjoy seeing our agents succeed and know that hard work and dedication is a staple of a successful AIL agent. We thank you for being a part of our AIL family!

4. 5.0

Great opportunity

Sep 19, 2021 - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get what you put in

Cons

If you don’t know how to manage your time or have great work ethics, you will not succeed.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you continue to benefit from the opportunity to make a generous income that correlates with the amount of hard work and effort you put in. As you know, this career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally with a strong and dedicated work ethic. Best wishes to many more years of success with AIL!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work from home

Sep 20, 2021 - Licensed Insurance Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leads, great training, fast track to management

Cons

If you aren't dedicated it won't be rewarding for you

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the leads provided, thorough training, and growth opportunity that our agent position can produce with hard work and dedication. We love seeing the success that is possible in this rewarding career and hope you enjoy a long and successful career with us!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best opportunity out there!

Sep 16, 2021 - Manager in Edison, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited potential for active and residual income. Leadership development program helps grow us as people not just in the business.

Cons

You are your biggest con. The only reason people fail is because they do not put in the work. It is a lot of work but you are compensated for the hard work that is done.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you're enjoying the unlimited income potential of this position and the residual income that is available with persistence and hard work. Having a strong support system for our Agents is very important to us and we're glad you're benefiting. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for a long and successful career!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Place

Sep 15, 2021 - Insurance Agent in Fayetteville, AR
      Business Outlook

Pros

All Commissions. Great money to be paid

Cons

Nothing if you are lazy you will hate it

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying the opportunity to make a generous income that correlates with the amount of hard work and effort you put in. As you know, this career can be incredibly rewarding both financially and personally with a strong and dedicated work ethic. Best wishes to a long future of success with AIL.

8. 5.0

Manage agents

Sep 15, 2021 - General Manager in Troy, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

No ceiling, great for people who are self motivated

Cons

Everything depends on your leadership.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you recognize hard work and commitment to this AIL career can be extremely rewarding financially and personally. Thank you for your dedication and your valuable contribution to our team's success. Best wishes for even more years of success with us!

9. 4.0

Truly Opportunity Unlimited for those with limited opportunity

Sep 15, 2021 - Supervising Agent in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

100% commission, the harder you work the more money you are able to make, uncapped. Great people and management looking out for your success. Performance based promotion. I was promoted to supervising agent in about half a year. Able to truly help other families.

Cons

100% commission so very difficult to budget and constant stress. Constant stress and needing to be "ON", working through illness. Free time is seen as a waste of time away from working. THIS JOB IS YOUR LIFE OR YOU WONT HAVE SUCCESS Micromanagement from Management team. Definitely takes a while to get the ball rolling and making money. Often selling insurance to people without a lot of money to their name.

HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your role in our team's continued growth and success during your time at AIL. We’re sorry the Agent position didn't work out for you long-term but we wish you all the best in the future.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Typical insurance company

Sep 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy work very easy work

Cons

Long hours long hours long

HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We're happy to have you on our team and appreciate your contributions to AIL and our mission of helping provide financial protection to our customers. We wish you a successful and productive future ahead with AIL.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,152 Reviews