American Museum of Natural History Reviews

Updated 6 Feb 2020

3.3
American Museum of Natural History President Ellen V. Futter
Ellen V. Futter
Pros
  • "It is truly an amazing and educational environment to work in(in 17 reviews)

• "A great place to network internationally and be around world-class research and fantastic exhibits(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no benefits for part-time staff including supervisors(in 9 reviews)

• "No upward mobility or chance to move up(in 8 reviews)

1. "Wonderful institution, amazing coworkers, terrible communication and organization"

Current Employee - Education
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-my coworkers. I made lifelong friends working at this museum -fascinating work in a beautiful, historic building -access to cultural institutions all over the city -solid medical insurance

Cons

-abysmal communication from upper management -miscommunication, mismanagement, lack of transparency coming from the top down

Continue reading

"No diversity, low pay, toxic office culture."

1.0
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's pretty cool to work in a museum.

Cons

Office culture is toxic. When I first started working here I immediately noticed the lack of diversity. The only reason I got the job is because I had a phone interview so the hiring manager didn't know what I looked like. When she saw me she seems surprised since I have a European name. I helped organize interviews and when candidates would be invited in, they always found something wrong with the candidates of color and would always end up going with the less experienced white candidates. I also noticed that certain upper management would talk down to the few people of color that worked in the office but were completely different and much nicer with employees that had their same skin color. There was no training when I started. I was met downstairs and told where I would sit and that's it. No overview of the job, no letting me know what was expected of me, nothing! If I was confused about anything, some of the staff would yell loudly in the office and this was okay. When you don't offer any training or guidance to new staff, there will be confusion. They don't pay much at all. It's actually embarrassing how low they pay their employees. Talk about cheap! They make a lot of money from donors but keep all that money for upper management.

Continue reading
  3. "Not a bad environment..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers and benefits are fair

Cons

There is no upward mobility without switching departments, and pay is lower than similar positions in other institutions. Turnover rate is higher than other companies because of this.

4. "Membership"

5.0

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time

Pros

People are really helpful and great culture

Cons

Sometimes there is a shortage of staff

5. "Overall, it's great!"

Former Employee - Program Assistant

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful place to go to work each day, everyone is happy to be there.

Cons

Some of the departments are less professional than others, and display favoritism with particular employees.

"toxic culture; toxic environment"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Many people here are amazing. It's valuable to have this place on your resume.

Cons

The physical space is in shambles. The HR policies are a joke.

Continue reading

"Horrible Management and Pay"

1.0
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

co workers, tickets for guests

Cons

everything from management to supervisors to pay to how they treat their employees.

Continue reading
  8. "Great Coworkers, Bad upper management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-Workers are nice makes work bearable

Cons

Senior Management needs to change their way of running the museum.

9. "Wonderful community of colleagues"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working at AMNH is a life-changing experience and a great honor. AMNH provides an incredible network of like-minded individuals.

Cons

Pay is lower than comparable jobs at other similar institutions

"Museum"

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing science, history, and creative people, with many wonderful employees. A great place to meet a lot of people in a wide variety of rolls. A great place to network internationally and be around world-class research and fantastic exhibits.

Cons

Not a lot of support for career development within the museum. Positions for advancement are extremely rare.

Found 138 reviews