American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are solid for a work-from-home position (all faculty are remote), and this does allow some flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 10 reviews)

• I was told full time also have to conduct research (in 9 reviews)

1. "Uncertain about future."

Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best place ever worked at. I have been there a very long time and accomplished a lot of things. Upper management has assisted me in progressing my career.

Cons

Recently their some uncertainty about if the executives really value the IT Department and the work that gets done. It seems the culture of the entire company has changed to be only revenue driven.

Advice to Management

Communicate better to the employees with inter department goals.

"Adjunct Faculty (8 years)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Trying to think, besides being paid on time.
    I thought of another one, 401-k match.

Cons

How about paying the Instructors for setting up the class?
    Same pay for 8 years (Has tuition increased)?
    Ever hear about the cost of living adjustment?
    New agenda, increase your presence and feedback to the students with the same pay. How's that work?
    Paying per student is an antiquated method to be compensated for.
    How about pay for tenure?
    Pay for performance review? Why do them? If there is not a correlation to pay increase or decrease?
    You will be expected to work 20-30 hours, if you are part-time.
    Do the math: 20 student class * $130 per student=$2600 for 8 weeks. Spend 20 hours a week for 8 weeks in the class. This = 160 manpower hours, or women hours. Divide $2600/160= $16.25 an hour. This is pay for an individual with a Master's degree.
    Well, Ladies and Gentlemen people with High School Diplomas can earn this much or more. And this is the "crux" of the problem in higher education in many countries, using cheap labor to build and promote your products and services.
    They could afford to pay you $100 a hour as an Adjunct Faculty member and still be profitable.

Advice to Management

Always make mandatory training available anytime, many of us do have other jobs
    For the most part, Management is fine.
    Be proactive in your criticism, not reactive.
    Hire more people to monitor classrooms, not Management.
    It would free them up to do the essential functions of their jobs.
    If the agenda this month is promoting the Community of Inquiry, let me know.
    If the agenda next month is asking critical thinking questions to half of the class to promote engagement and higher intellectual stimulation, let me know.

3. "Review"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Nice people

Cons

A little bit disorganized. Pay could be better.

5. "More Cons Than Pro"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your department and manager the company may be flexible. Education is free

Cons

Benefits are expensive, information from the Executive Team does not flow downward easily, more work less pay, when there is employee self improvement APUS does not promote or increase pay, the extra benefits are being taken away ie.. early dismissal a day before a holiday, apparently the cash on hand is great however the extra is not spend on the employees

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of the clients.

"Good benefits, but workload is much too heavy for instructors"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are solid for a work-from-home position (all faculty are remote), and this does allow some flexibility. Immediate supervisors also tend to be great.

Cons

For full-timers, the teaching load is incredibly heavy--double the heaviest loads you'll find at terrestrial universities (actually the equivalent of a 10/10 load at universities on the semester system, and sometimes more). The administration also doesn't treat faculty as educated professionals; we're micro-managed and tracked with bots to make sure that we're logging in as much as we're supposed to, and chastised when we can't keep up with the grading load. Because of the heavy teaching load, this actually makes the atmosphere seem hostile, as though the admins are trying to always have a possible reason to fire faculty members.

Advice to Management

Do some research on appropriate teaching loads, and don't use other online universities/colleges as your comparison--use the universities/colleges that have the best track record for the student body we have. I can almost guarantee you that they're not requiring full-time faculty to teach more than 20 courses a year. Also, respect your faculty as professionals who know what they're doing; if someone doesn't know what they're doing, just don't hire them. The micromanaging is incredibly aggravating for those of us with strong teaching backgrounds.

"Used to be a good place, but that is changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

Local, some flexibility in work hours

Cons

New "leadership" in Enrollment Management cares little for the staff or students, is more focused on making numbers, seems to want to turn APUS into another Phoenix

Advice to Management

Get back to basics - real engagement with your staff and students. Stop giving chintzy 1-2% annual raises, hire more people and train them properly.

8. "School"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Increasing education to match personal experience is vital to personal success. I hope to utilize skills in each to perform above expectations.

Cons

There is no downside to increasing one's knowledge and ability to provide the best service to employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Improve the working environment for your employees, in whatever way is most productive and impactful to them and the organization as a whole.

"No longer cares about hard working employees"

Current Employee - Front Line
    Current Employee - Front Line

Pros

Some remote work opportunities

Cons

Numbers focused , recent high attrition across departments. Zero opportunity for advancement, pay increases not proportional to work expectations.

Advice to Management

Back to basics. Treat employees with care you sill see results.

"Get out while you can"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Some co-workers make it a nice environment.

Cons

Changing leadership and policies have made working here unpleasant to say the least. Privileges and courtesies previously extended to employees have mostly been revoked. New extended hours were implanted with barely any notice inconveniencing everyone impacted. APUS clearly cares less and less about their employees and more and more about burning and churning new students. Fix the existing problems at hand, hire more staff and pay them better, and stop treating employees like a number.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your department.

11. "Information Technology"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

APUS is an awesome place to work if you love a challenging, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment.

Cons

APUS is not a traditional university. With rolling monthly enrollment, the pace is not what some would expect. However, if you see challenges as opportunities and don’t just love your work but love doing it well- then definitely apply!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Listen to the factual, constructive criticism certainly, but leave those out to only complain behind. Some folks just need to learn elsewhere that being part of the solution, offering well-thought ideas, and lifting those around you will always take you further in life.