American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home part of the week (in 23 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 13 reviews)

• No room for advancement, lower than average pay, and no pay raises (in 6 reviews)

"Very positive experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and very flexible, good benefits, reasonable pay

Cons

fast moving, changing priorities, poor planning and project management

Advice to Management

Allow us to focus on one thing for a while before making dramatic changes.

"There is no “perfect” place"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, telecommuting, opportunity for growth. Despite the negative reviews here, if someone really wants to make a difference, there is a way to get your voice heard and changes made. However, many struggle with the tactful/professional way to accomplish this.

Cons

The school is extremely risk aversive - which is what keeps us in compliance. However, we miss so many opportunities because we are so cautious.

The biggest cons I see are clearly through the culture, as witnessed in all the negative reviews here. As an employee of nearly 8 years, I have quickly learned that those who complain are the loudest. Check all other schools’ reviews that are as large as APUS. You will find identical complaints. Oftentimes, it’s the poor attitudes of employees that create the poor culture and to that, I say good riddance to those who aren’t actively making APUS better, but spending more energy complaining about the company.

While this place is far from perfect, I can assure you that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team and take their grievances seriously - their voices are louder when memorialized on websites like this.

"Been with APUS over 10 years"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

My colleagues are great; matching 401K is great; the people within the university are wonderful to work with

Cons

More work has been added with no pay raises; changing priorities regularly

"Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate to have very professional and kind supervisors in my department, who truly aim for the best for students and the program. The required trainings are tedious, but can be done digitally and independently. The faculty meetings I attend are worthwhile and good opportunities to connect with colleagues I've never physically met.

Cons

Since I have been working at APUS I have NEVER had a pay increase, despite regular, ongoing training that is required, increased expectations and work responsibilities and excellent performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Create a pay scale that rewards good employees with incentives for performance and seniority.

6. "Adjunct online instruction"

Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High level poured courses, variety of students some committed administrators

Cons

Worked all Jan. With no deposit in the bank account which is demoralizing. Why not pay online workers every two weeks like most workers get paid?

Advice to Management

Perfect the courses we teach, so we are not standing behind poured mistakes while encouraging high attention to detail from students, ok?

"It’s okay"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home
    Pay is decent depending on the department

Cons

Schedule changes are causing problems
    Upper management is causing a lot of issues for lower level people
    People are getting different answers.
    No consistency

Advice to Management

Upper management doesn’t care about the lower employees. We are just puppets.

"Get out now if you are current, if you are applying DON'T!!!!!"

Current Employee - Enrollment in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

Company use to value its staff, had great benefits, allowed work from home, paid tuition assistance.

Cons

Company now sees staff as cogs to make phone calls to students, school is being sued by a state, benefits are overpriced, pay is too low for amount of work they require, telecommuting is going away. This is not a school anymore. It is a business that sells education.

Advice to Management

The highest up's have lost grasp of the idea that quality will breed repeat business. Stop pushing employees to push students so hard to enroll and focus on what has made money in the past.

9. "Faculty"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Remote work, flexibility and colleagues make it bearable

Cons

Lack of support from leadership, overwhelming workload, extremely low pay

Advice to Management

If you add things on someone's plate, remember to remove something too, otherwise it will overflow

10. "Solid place to work"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, opportunities to work from home, depending on the department you're in you may have a great deal of autonomy. Lots of great people.

Cons

Changes are a constant, if you hate change, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Focus on exceptional and over the top student support, and employee morale. Dedicate more team members to forward facing roles so we can better support our students.

11. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

The people are fantastic and passionate about their work. Every one cares about the student experience and student success.

Cons

The processes and systems are getting in the way of providing good service. Communication from the top down has been lacking for many years. Although it did improve under Dr. Powell’s leadership.

Advice to Management

Executive management could benefit from hosting round tables, mingling with lower level employees to solicit feedback, or inviting people to share feedback in one on one meetings.