Amgen Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 8 Sep 2020

3.9
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
Pros
Cons
  • "Large corporate environment and work life balance may be difficult for some(in 89 reviews)

• "Very poor decision making with senior leadership - lack of leadership courage to do anything truly progressive(in 65 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great friendly environment, generous bonus scheme.

Cons

Hard to achieve work/life balance

2. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than a year

Pros

science-based and high values company

Cons

work-life balance, lean structure, too much pressure

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Sr Biopharmaceutical Sales in Ḩawallī

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good product portfolio and good salaries

Cons

no investment at all in training or people development and zero work-life balance

Social Media Coordinator

We value your feedback, appreciate your review, and take these concerns very seriously. If you'd be so kind as to provide details about your experience to talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com, we will do our best to prevent similar feelings in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

"General lack of leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) 401(k). 2) Thousand Oaks is a nice area with great weather. 3) Many colleagues (especially those at Director level or lower) are highly science- and evidence-oriented. 4) Many well-meaning colleagues

Cons

1) Management by process rather than reason and inspiration. This company is led by its lawyers and Microsoft Excel. 2) Upper management that's generally out of touch with what's happening on the ground. 3) Management that prefers to punch and delegate down than take responsibility. 4) Some upper management with toxic attitudes who, despite complaints, are never disciplined. However, don't you dare be anything but perfectly professional if you're not an ED or higher. 5) Leadership that says one thing and does another. For example, the top-down push for "aggressive prioritization" is juxtaposed by assignment of MORE low priority work and MORE metrics/processes. 6) Development that moves along at a snail's pace despite everyone being overworked due to metrics/processes. 7) A Stalinist corporate environment where people are afraid to speak up. 8) (Department-specific) Lack of appreciation for the people doing the real work on the front lines. 9) (Department-specific) Poor overall compensation by industry standards. 10) An inordinate amount of time updating timelines and budgets for management review. 11) Poor work-life balance; you will be hard-pressed to use your vacation time due to the sheer amount of work and fire drills. Everyone is assigned to multiple programs but expected to be 100% on all of them, another indication that the drive for prioritization is nothing more than empty rhetoric. 12) A deluge of FAKE reviews on Glassdoor via third-party astroturfers to combat downward trajectory in rating. These end up burying the legitimate reviews. Not out of the ordinary, but Amgen is one of the few companies that has hired a PR company to combat negative perceptions on Glassdoor. That should tell you something.

Continue reading

Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and we take these concerns very seriously. While you have provided a great deal of detail, if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your experience, please contact our talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com. It is our sincere goal to prevent similar feelings in the future, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. Thank you for taking the time to bring these concerns to our attention.

5. "Recommended Company"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good culture, people, pay, benefits, and location.

Cons

Large corporate environment and work life balance may be difficult for some

Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We're so glad you're enjoying the benefits and perks we offer our staff members. Please know, you can always reach out to us at talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share more about your experience.

6. "Excellent Workplace"

I have been working at Amgen full-time

Pros

Benefits, Vacation Days, Work life Balance

Cons

Frequent Org Changes, Individual Org

Social Media Coordinator

We're pleased to hear you're enjoying your experience at Amgen. We're proud to provide a competitive benefit and compensation package that enables staff to chart their own career paths and explore opportunities that match their unique talents. Please know, you can always connect with us at talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share more about your experience. Thank you for the review.

7. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Istanbul

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than a year

Pros

global, industry, benefits, work-life balance

Cons

culture, global opportunities, senior level management

Social Media Manager

Hello, thank you for your review. We're glad your experience was overall positive, but we'd love to hear more of your thoughts on how we can improve in the above areas. Please contact talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share more with our team. Thank you very much for your time.

8. "Great Company Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Manager Contract and Pricing in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Work culture, work life balance, opportunity to work with great teams and minds.

Cons

None - Great company to work

Social Media Manager

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all you do to advance our mission and support our team. Please know, you can always reach out to talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to share feedback with us. Thank you, stay healthy!

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time

Pros

Work culture, work life balance, opportunity to work with great teams and minds, a true leader in healthcare

Cons

Not one I can think of - great place to work!

Social Media Manager

We are thrilled that you see Amgen as a great place to work with amazing talent. Thank you for the review!

"Great Place to Work - Changing Lives Through Medicine"

Current Employee - Executive Director, Technology in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the mission of the company

Cons

Work Life Balance is not great. Amgen will take all you allow it to take.

Social Media Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We recognize that part of fulfilling our great mission is taking care of the people who are contributing toward our advancements. Please know, you can always connect with our team at talentacquisitioninquiries@amgen.com to discuss how we can further improve.

Found 297 reviews