Anthropologie Employee Reviews about "call shifts"

Updated 19 Feb 2020

3.7
Anthropologie Chief Executive Officer Richard Hayne  (no image)
Richard Hayne
Pros
Cons
  • "Really bad hours, when they stopped doing on call shifts they just started canceling shifts(in 158 reviews)

• "long hours but anyone who has experience in retail expects it(in 93 reviews)

Reviews about "call shifts"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "High Expectations and low income"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good community among the sales representatives, sometimes you might get to help with the displays, and visually it is a beautiful space to be in that can be inspiring.

Cons

The management comes off more as mean girls than a leadership hierarchy. In orientation, sales reps had to sit on a saw dust covered floor (the store was in the process of opening) while leadership sat in chairs eating candy and talking about what spirit animal they would be. There isn't many employee perks. You receive a discount because you are expected to wear clothes from Anthro that you still have to spend a lot of money on. If you buy anything not for you, you receive a minimal discount. The store I worked at over hired, and I didn't have an actual shift for two months, but had 3 on call shifts every week and none of them ever were used but I still needed to call ever time. The management critiques your outfits like it's Project Runway and is incredibly picky about what you can wear even though it is only retail and you are getting paid basically minimum wage.

"Anthropologie Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount, made a lot of connections, beautiful work enviornment

Cons

Really bad hours, when they stopped doing on call shifts they just started canceling shifts. Pressure to make sales without making commission

3. "Great co-workers, extremely busy"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with all had different backgrounds, such as fine arts, music, personal training, etc. It made the shifts more interesting. Great environment. Relatively flexible scheduling.

Cons

The store was a challenge to keep organized since Chelsea Market location gets high traffic. Short breaks. On-call shifts were mandatory. Closing shifts were lengthy.

4. "Good part-time job for a student"

I worked at Anthropologie part-time

Pros

Employee discount; flexible hours; get to switch between greeting at front door, fitting room, re-stock, organizing sale section, cash register, etc. throughout shifts so it keeps things from getting boring.

Cons

On-call shifts make it hard to make plans in personal life since you have to call 3 hours before scheduled shift to see if they need you to come in or not.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Merchandise discount is generous Inspiring - artistically

Cons

Pretentious employees On call shifts are the devil

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to learn about retail in--it's very structured and corporate Awesome discount on retail items: 40% with a certain number of items for 60% each month

Cons

Tons of on-call shifts mean inconsistent hours, especially because most "set shifts" are only 4 hours

7. "Great discount, not so great culture"

2.0

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great discount - Good physical aesthetic - Nice coworkers to connect with

Cons

- Managers play favorites and are not consistent with expectations. I saw one employee get formally reprimanded for following the store's return policy... because a customer complained that she wouldn't let her return a pair of 4 year old jeans with no receipt - Closing shifts kept employees 1-2 hours late regularly. Managers would often give platitudes during this time such as, "we completely broke our sales record today!". This was actually demotivating - I'm not going to see any money from those sales, all it means is that I'll be folding jeans until midnight for minimum wage. - On-call shifts extremely inconvenient

Continue reading
  8. "Your experience depends on store management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Anthropologie full-time

Pros

Creative atmosphere to work in Hardworking co-workers Interesting co-workers Beautiful products/clothing

Cons

Underpaid, even when responsibilities increase Morale of workers in store was low and nothing was done about it On-call shifts don't guarantee shifts

9. "Great company & people"

Former Employee - Senior Sales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Higher-end environment, this does mean customers expect more. Really great employee discount, actually haven't met any other retail associate with a better discount, especially since you can use it at all URBN brands. Flexible hours, great team. High energy.

Cons

Opening and closing shifts are awful. Glad the company got rid of "on-call" shifts. On your feet the entire shift - which you should definitely know going into retail or customer service.

Continue reading
  10. "Fun but not a lot of career mobility"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast-paced, good sense of community

Cons

On call shifts, cleaning (it would be more cost effective to hire a cleaner)

Found 158 reviews