Anthropologie Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 7 Aug 2020

3.7
Anthropologie Chief Executive Officer Richard Hayne  (no image)
Richard Hayne
Pros
Cons
  • "Really bad hours, when they stopped doing on call shifts they just started canceling shifts(in 158 reviews)

• "long hours but anyone who has experience in retail expects it(in 93 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Anthropologie Manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Anthropologie full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Positive work environment, great employee discount, positive customer base, fantastic product assortment, creative environment, hones business skills, entrepreneurial style of management

Cons

No true HR, discriminatory LP policy that puts burden of LP control on employees instead of investing in cameras, low starting hourly pay

2. "Great part time job"

Former Employee - Customer Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly, pleasant work environment, variety of job functions, good discount

Cons

I cannot think of any

3. "Sales associate"

4.0

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time

Pros

Good work environment and employee

Cons

You get short breaks and stand a lot

4. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, flexible hours, great benefits, fun and lively work environment

Cons

Late closing shifts (stay 2 hours after the store closes)

"Great Job!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Anthropologie full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super accommodating to my availability and let me focus on the areas where I worked best. Super sweet staff and non-toxic work environment.

Cons

They had me essentially working a manager position without the pay and official title. Understandably the store was short staffed, but you can't expect someone to do a job without properly compensating them.

Continue reading
  6. "Nice Work Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers, flexible hours, fun work environment

Cons

Nothing to complain about here.

7. "Sales Associate"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Anthropologie part-time

Pros

If you're a huge fan of the clothing and don't have a way to afford it besides working for the company and taking advantage of the discount, then perhaps the discount will mean something to you. If it isn't your favorite store, I would think twice.

Cons

I thought it was odd in my interview when the manager didn't touch on the parameters of the job at all as far as stable hours and wages, but now I see why. When she called me to offer me the job, she waited until I accepted (I was not in a financial position to decline a job offer) to tell me what the wages are (far below what people living in this particular city would need to make to be able to pay their bills). At training, I learned that besides 6 hours of "buddy shifts," new hires would not receive any hours for another 3 weeks. The other major problem that I identified was the scrutiny and pressure put on employees to maintain a certain appearance. Ultimately, the expectation was to attract customers to the products by buying and wearing them. While there is a generous discount, it is not nearly enough to assure that employees on such low wages can afford the clothes. Doing the math, even with the discount, many of the items there would be an entire week's salary or more for both part and full time employees. They also hinted at "coaching" employees on their style and holding events where employees would try on Anthropologie clothing and receive critiques based on what management thought would/wouldn't look good on them. They show a lot of disregard for the value of how staff members view their own appearance and what makes them feel comfortable. Like others have said, it's just a very creepy work environment. There's a lot of emphasis on being "on" as far as energy and personality, but for very low pay.

8. "Fun and Fast Paced"

Former Employee - Customer Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great discounts -Fun and diverse work environment -Help others with what is on trend

Cons

-You are on your feet the entire 8 hr shift (keeps you active though!)

"communist sorority preparing for Coachella"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount. Retail therapy was ... all around you. Experience fast-paced work environment. Options of growth.

Cons

- Corporate goes through rampages of firing their most professional employees. Yes, I have seen this in action - especially when the company is drowning. They would always "suggest" to dress like their newest styles and "suggested" to buy their own clothes. In reality, take their suggestions as sugar-coated, passive remarks. You will be outcasted (reflected by hours) if you don't take Anthropologie as a religion. NEVER accept management responsibilities, until you get promoted. - Each section of the store has its own name. This changes quarterly. Memorize the names and styles or else... (I wish this were a joke) - You will not be acknowledge for your hard work. Instead, the "department" managers will take credit for your work.

10. "customer associate"

Former Employee - Customer Associate

I worked at Anthropologie part-time for less than a year

Pros

great work environment, and discount

Cons

managers were STICKLERS about layout

Found 254 reviews