Appen Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.3
Appen CEO Mark Brayan
Mark Brayan
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, not a full time income(in 35 reviews)

• "No benefits or insurance included(in 31 reviews)

1. "Love the flexibility and the people"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing opportunity to work with people all over the world, and meet people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. I feel like I have a friend in any country I go to. The times you work can also be flexible depending on your role.

Cons

With flexibility comes blurred working hours – long hours are treated as normal, and taking calls early/late or working on weekends to meet a deadline are common. The company is also growing rapidly but some processes are still highly manual, like in a smaller company. The project work can get repetitive.

Advice to Management

Preserve the diverse workplace culture and continue to bring in people from all around the world. Preserve the flexible work times. Invest in scaling up processes and automating manual processes.

Appen2018-09-18

September 18, 2018

Thank you for this stellar review! One of my favorite parts of this job is also being able to work with people from all over the world. This is part of what makes our company special and I hope that it will continue to grow and expand.

"Generally good, Nice colleagues, lack of career progression"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects, great colleagues, intercultural environment, great managers, executive management seem to be listening to on the ground employees during a big restructure.

Cons

Bad pay compared to similar positions in the same industry, little or no career progression, often high pressure to achieve unreasonable deadlines which means employees think it's normal to take calls at 5 in the morning, or work late into the night.

Appen2019-04-10

"Good benefits, not so great environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good perks, bonuses, vacation time, etc

Cons

Bureaucracy, lack of career growth opportunities, upper leadership doesn't communicate their vision clearly.

Advice to Management

Engage your team in the bigger mission so they understand what they're working towards, other than a paycheck. Be more clear about the culture and values.

Appen2018-12-19

December 31, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to post this review which will be shared with our Sydney leaders.

4. "Project team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fast-growing company, top clients.

Cons

Low salaries, no company culture, no benefits.

Advice to Management

Do not position the company as a machine learning company. Set clear expectation to people you are hiring.

Appen2018-11-19
  5. "Good Work from Home"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Sydney

I have been working at Appen part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility to decide when and where you work, work from home, easy work once you learn the guidelines. They are working out the kinks involved in working with crowdsourced employees, but they really listen and adjust based on employee feedback. Good pay for an entry-level work from home job.

Cons

Slow response time from managers. Work is not consistent. You won't support a family with this income, but it will help, and it's one of the better-paying crowdsourced positions available.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Appen2018-08-03

August 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. We are working to improve the hours to be more consistent and appreciate your feedback on that.

6. "working at Appen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fast growing, outcome focused, flexible and supportive place to work. It starts at the top with good leadership and drive and this creates a culture of success

Cons

Nothing to add in this item

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Appen2018-05-10

"Don't do business in China if you don't want to set up the infrastructure"

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Project manager on the project is responsive and helpful.

Cons

This company pays about 10rmb for an hour of work and only use PayPal to pay. while no one use paypal in China as everyone is using Alipay. To get your money from paypal, you have to have at least 150usd in the account and there is 30usd withdraw fee.

Advice to Management

I feel sorry for your Chinese project managers that are paying people using their own money so they can complete their project. If you want to do business in China, do proper research and provide proper support and try to adapt. Otherwise, you will just quickly get crushed like many other foreign companies.

Appen2018-03-15

"Big disconnect between managers and employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are flexible, work is fairly easy.

Cons

Management has a short term financial gain mindset, doing whatever it takes to make money now, even if it loses the company money in the long run. No foresight or understanding of the industry at all.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and ensure you office and employees are well equipped and happy. Cultivating a successful office culture is more important than short term monetary gain.

Appen2017-12-01

"Great people to work with"

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unmatched for diversity in the workplace. I've met so many great people, and I have made amazing, lasting friendships.

Cons

It's not perfect. Staff treat long hours as normal. You are expected to take calls early in the morning and late at night. There can be a lot of pressure to meet deadlines.

Appen2017-10-12

"It appeared that I was hired. Then I got a rejection letter?"

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Can't think of any. Never got the chance.

Cons

I took all the required testing and was contacted by an Appen recruiter. I was asked to send my details and Super Fund information after passing the tests with flying colors. Three months after sending my details to start work I received an email stating that others matched my skill set more closely? I had long forgotten about Appen at this point and had moved on. What a strange company.

Advice to Management

Zero communication to prospective employees is a bad look. So is creating the impression you have hired someone when you didn't plan to at all. Get your act together.

Appen2017-11-16

November 28, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We want to improve the experience! In order to do so, we'd like to hear more about the delay in the start of the project as well as the communication you received. Please email us at feedback@appen.com.

Found 731 reviews