Appen Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.4
Appen CEO Mark Brayan
Mark Brayan
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, not a full time income(in 41 reviews)

• "No benefits or insurance included(in 34 reviews)

1. "Love the flexibility and the people"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing opportunity to work with people all over the world, and meet people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. I feel like I have a friend in any country I go to. The times you work can also be flexible depending on your role.

Cons

With flexibility comes blurred working hours – long hours are treated as normal, and taking calls early/late or working on weekends to meet a deadline are common. The company is also growing rapidly but some processes are still highly manual, like in a smaller company. The project work can get repetitive.

Advice to Management

Preserve the diverse workplace culture and continue to bring in people from all around the world. Preserve the flexible work times. Invest in scaling up processes and automating manual processes.

Appen2018-09-18
  2. "Nearly a good job"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team members, often interesting projects, exciting and expanding field of work. So much potential. I'd really like to LOVE this job.

Cons

Low pay compared to other jobs in the same industry- HR don't take this concern seriously. You can easily do a google search and find similar jobs that pay much more. Unfortunately Appen is in the habit of expecting that people accept jobs here because they are fascinated by the work and don't care about the pay. As we corporatize further, this is less realistic and the company is letting it's employees down by not... considering how they can make jobs here attractive. Systems issues are often blamed on employees- the new crowd management system is riddled with bugs and errors, and yet when invoicing goes wrong, or a project system shorts out, or the email function breaks, it's the PMs and team members who are blamed, both by internal teams and the crowd. I've received threats and abuse over things that I couldn't control. Sometimes Appen Connect just breaks. We all feel strongly that we want to do the best by our crowd, but it's hard with tools that are not yet fit for purpose. Internal corporate teams (Recruitment, HR and Finance) are often very difficult to work with. Everything turns in to blame games, walking on egg shells, person to person problems, and as soon as you ask internal corporate teams to do their jobs, you're suddenly the bad guy. It's very tiring for project teams to be stuck in the middle of this. Burnout is common, people are afraid of expressing concern, we lose team members to other companies that we've spent so much time training, people work long hours thinking that bad work/life balance is normal.

Advice to Management

I'd really like to see some of the real on-the-ground issues for employees properly addressed and acknowledged. We can't look after our crowd workers or clients unless we're also looked after. I really want to be hopeful that we're headed in the right direction, but at the moment it's hard. I don't think this is a reflection on the ability of any of the senior leadership team, I just think they don't know what it's... like for the real people on the ground. Perhaps it might help for senior management to spend some time dealing with every day project problems and workplace issues for perspective?

Appen2019-11-12
  3. "PM"

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Fast paced work with a lot of variety

Cons

Long hours expected for not great pay

Appen2019-07-29

"Good benefits, not so great environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good perks, bonuses, vacation time, etc

Cons

Bureaucracy, lack of career growth opportunities, upper leadership doesn't communicate their vision clearly.

Advice to Management

Engage your team in the bigger mission so they understand what they're working towards, other than a paycheck. Be more clear about the culture and values.

Appen2018-12-19
  5. "Project team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fast-growing company, top clients.

Cons

Low salaries, no company culture, no benefits.

Advice to Management

Do not position the company as a machine learning company. Set clear expectation to people you are hiring.

Appen2018-11-19
  6. "Good Work from Home"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Sydney

I have been working at Appen part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility to decide when and where you work, work from home, easy work once you learn the guidelines. They are working out the kinks involved in working with crowdsourced employees, but they really listen and adjust based on employee feedback. Good pay for an entry-level work from home job.

Cons

Slow response time from managers. Work is not consistent. You won't support a family with this income, but it will help, and it's one of the better-paying crowdsourced positions available.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Appen2018-08-03
  7. "working at Appen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fast growing, outcome focused, flexible and supportive place to work. It starts at the top with good leadership and drive and this creates a culture of success

Cons

Nothing to add in this item

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Appen2018-05-10

"Don't do business in China if you don't want to set up the infrastructure"

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Project manager on the project is responsive and helpful.

Cons

This company pays about 10rmb for an hour of work and only use PayPal to pay. while no one use paypal in China as everyone is using Alipay. To get your money from paypal, you have to have at least 150usd in the account and there is 30usd withdraw fee.

Advice to Management

I feel sorry for your Chinese project managers that are paying people using their own money so they can complete their project. If you want to do business in China, do proper research and provide proper support and try to adapt. Otherwise, you will just quickly get crushed like many other foreign companies.

Appen2018-03-15

"Big disconnect between managers and employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are flexible, work is fairly easy.

Cons

Management has a short term financial gain mindset, doing whatever it takes to make money now, even if it loses the company money in the long run. No foresight or understanding of the industry at all.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and ensure you office and employees are well equipped and happy. Cultivating a successful office culture is more important than short term monetary gain.

Appen2017-12-01

"It appeared that I was hired. Then I got a rejection letter?"

I have been working at Appen

Pros

Can't think of any. Never got the chance.

Cons

I took all the required testing and was contacted by an Appen recruiter. I was asked to send my details and Super Fund information after passing the tests with flying colors. Three months after sending my details to start work I received an email stating that others matched my skill set more closely? I had long forgotten about Appen at this point and had moved on. What a strange company.

Advice to Management

Zero communication to prospective employees is a bad look. So is creating the impression you have hired someone when you didn't plan to at all. Get your act together.

Appen2017-11-16