Appen Employee Reviews about "flexible hours"

Updated 19 Jun 2020

3.4
Appen CEO Mark Brayan
Mark Brayan
Pros
  • "Valuable/meaningful work from home, flexible hours, growth opportunities within the company as a contractor for, interesting projects(in 150 reviews)

• "flexible work time and a variety of opportunities(in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, to many materials learn for(in 50 reviews)

• "No benefits or opportunities for advancement within the work since you will work as an independent contractor(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "flexible hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent Remote Work Opportunity"

5.0
    Former Freelancer - Transcriber in Cape Town

I worked at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours and timeous payment.

Cons

Not enough work to keep one busy.

2. "Should be good in theory but is frequently a large waste of time."

2.0
    Current Freelancer - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours, set your own schedule, variety of tasks.

Cons

Bad pay for time spent, ridiculous amount of guidelines to read for every project, qualification processes that are too difficult, waste your time and do not reflect true competency.

3. "Appen is a Joke."

1.0
    Current Contractor - Web Search Evaluator in Athens

I have been working at Appen for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, working from home, easy tasks, almost no stress about job performance

Cons

Where do I start? I have been working for this company for 3 years, in many different projects. And I was happy working there for a while. But things have gone downhill during the past few months. Firstly, projects that used to pay 13 dollars/hour, now pay 8. In my market there are almost no projects and even if you manage to qualify for a project there is almost no work at all. They ask us to qualify for projects, meaning that we have to read for the tests and pass the exams and then they tell us that we qualify for the project but unfortunately there is no position available in our market, or that the project ended abruptly or that there is task shortage. And we never get paid for reading guidelines or passing the tests, so it is a complete waste of our time. Even the projects that used to be good, meaning that they always had tasks for everyone, now produce almost no tasks at all. Some markets seem to keep getting tasks though, and there are rumours that these are the markets with the lowest pay rate. Which makes sense because capitalism. There are no benefits in Appen and there is no control over how Appen treats its employees. I have been working there for three years but that doesn't seem to count at all. Each month I have to pass a set of blind tasks or else I will be terminated from the project. And there is literally no work at all these past few months in most markets. I get 10 hours of tasks each month. I used to work 40 hours per week and now I am happy if I manage to work 3 hours per week. And we have almost no communication with the project management. We keep asking whether this task shortage will ever be fixed and they keep saying they don't know why this is happening and whether it will ever be fixed. The company has become a joke. The worst thing is that they keep asking people to join projects that have literally no tasks at all. There is so much confusion and disorder, and they keep acquiring their competitors, so they now have the monopoly in this thing and they do whatever the hell they want, they keep lowering pay rates and keep treating their employees like garbage.

Continue reading
  4. ""i had a good experience and made some good money""

Former Contractor - Social Media Evaluator
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible hours -Work from anywhere on your smartphone

Cons

-They give lower salaries than other competitive companies.

5. "Good work if you're desperate"

2.0
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Work from home with flexible hours

Cons

Work Availability fluctuates from plenty of extra hours to none at all Paychecks are monthly Low pay with no raises or overtime for extra hours Contract work with no benefits or tax holdings Official feedback on support tickets and forum questions is often very slow or ignored entirely Repetitive Changing evaluation metrics

6. "Appen 2020"

1.0
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Appen for more than 3 years

Pros

Appen used to be a great company providing jobs at flexible hours and a decent rate before 2019.

Cons

Since merging with Leapforce in 2018, I feel the cons greatly outweigh the pros in Appen's current state. There is not enough work, and the flexibility is gone. Invoicing has been faulty almost every month, with hours of your work disappearing from logs. There is no one to help you with technical problems, and questions are mostly ignored. I tried moving to several other projects but faced problems such as not receiving my login credentials or needing clarification because the guidelines are not clear. Things are getting worse every month.

7. "With Appen 4+ years. They gave me a chance at meaningful income from home"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Senior Auditor in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Appen for more than 5 years

Pros

Valuable/meaningful work from home, flexible hours, growth opportunities within the company as a contractor for, interesting projects.

Cons

Contracts/projects can end suddenly sometimes, contracts/projects can start up suddenly. There can also be a long time between projects, as some projects are just starting, others are full swing, and others are winding down.

Continue reading
  8. "Flexible working experience with timely pay"

Current Freelancer - Social Media Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than 3 years

Pros

- No delay in payments -Flexible working hours and reasonable expectations from the company's side -Tasks can be informative and fun if you are interested in social media and research

Cons

-Application process sometimes take weeks or even months -Projects end without any prior notice -

9. "Great work at home job"

Former Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Appen part-time for more than a year

Pros

FLEXIBLE hours, fair pay, easy work

Cons

Horrible communication with company via email

"Flexible hours, but treats employees terribly"

Current Employee - Internet Analyst

I have been working at Appen part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours That's it, really. Only reason to work here.

Cons

No communication Terrible pay Can slash your hours at any point for months

Found 148 reviews