Appen Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated 11 Jun 2020

3.4
Appen CEO Mark Brayan
Mark Brayan
Pros
  • "Valuable/meaningful work from home, flexible hours, growth opportunities within the company as a contractor for, interesting projects(in 151 reviews)

• "flexible work time and a variety of opportunities(in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, to many materials learn for(in 50 reviews)

• "No benefits or opportunities for advancement within the work since you will work as an independent contractor(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Project team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fast-growing company, top clients.

Cons

Low salaries, no company culture, no benefits.

Continue reading
  2. "Decent place to make money"

Current Contractor - Social Media Evaluator in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Most projects can be completed from the comfort of your own home. You don't have to physically interact with anyone. Simply study the guidelines for a project, take the test, and if you pass you can begin working.

Cons

Can be let go of a project at any moment. Project managers may not respond fast to emails. Website is a bit outdated and needs updating. No benefits or opportunities for advancement within the work since you will work as an independent contractor.

"Decent"

Current Employee - Social Media Evaluator in Kansas City, MO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Appen full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you find a good task the money is pretty consistent. You get to work your own hours.

Cons

You're a contractor, so no benefits at all and you have to pay the full FICA tax.

Continue reading
  4. "Good work if you're desperate"

2.0
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Work from home with flexible hours

Cons

Work Availability fluctuates from plenty of extra hours to none at all Paychecks are monthly Low pay with no raises or overtime for extra hours Contract work with no benefits or tax holdings Official feedback on support tickets and forum questions is often very slow or ignored entirely Repetitive Changing evaluation metrics

5. "Decent work"

Current Contractor - Web Search Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, get to choose your own hours

Cons

Tedious, not full time, no benefits since you're an outside contractor

"Social Media Evaluator"

Current Employee - Computer Programmer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Appen part-time for more than a year

Pros

• Easy • Remote • Auditors provide helpful feedback, so you're never too lost once when you get the hang of the job. • Flexible work hours. Literally work when you feel like - as long as you meet the amount of weekly hours you're required to commit.

Cons

• Weird pay-out schedule • Communication with management virtually non-existent • Not stable • No benefits • Training evaluation material for other projects often vague. You might feel like you're doing wrong. The occasional feedback from auditors is invaluable. Always make sure to consult the project guides.

Appen Response

January 30, 2020

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We'll specifically make our teams aware of your concern related to project guidelines. Thanks.

7. "Unrealistic and unattainable guidelines"

Former Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator in Shreveport, LA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appen for less than a year

Pros

Work at home, flexible hours

Cons

They do not withhold taxes so you will have to pay in to the IRS or get a huge bill. Training is UNPAID before you take your exam in order to be certified. Lengthy detailed evaluation criteria. Quality and trustworthiness is highly subjective and spammy poor sites were given higher rankings than trusted big news media websites. Bass ackwards. Too much headache for too little compensation and no benefits.

8. "OK company"

Current Employee - Senior Internet Analyst

I have been working at Appen part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home, work anytime you want

Cons

No pay raises, no benefits

9. "Inefficient work place"

1.0
    Current Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than a year

Pros

Work from home opportunity available.

Cons

Low pay. No benefits. Terrible communication if any at all. No guarantee you will get an assignment even if you do everything they ask. Have to do a lot of work just to attempt to sign up for a project.

Continue reading
  10. "Okay for a second job"

2.0
    Current Contractor - Web Search Evaluator

I have been working at Appen for more than 8 years

Pros

The pros are you can work in the convenience of your home , typically anytime during the day.

Cons

Unfortunately, for me, as this was not the case when I first started, there are many cons. They don't always have work loaded even when they are offering extra hours, the pay rate has decreased, you get paid once a month, management is slow to get back to you, no benefits, and no paid training. The guidelines for a project are typically 50+ pages in length which means you will spend several hours learning and practicing to hopefully pass a test to be put into production. When I first started they had paid training. It seems that Appen, formerly Butler Hill, has decreased its pay rate with its expansion. It has also decreased the accessibility that one had with reaching a manager. At one time you knew their names and now it's send a question to the "team". When I started in 2010 the pay was $15, then it was reduced to $13.75 and now the same job is paying $9.00 and that's with experience. So 9 years working as a contractor has given me a $6/hr pay decrease. Not much of an incentive to stay on.

Found 40 reviews