Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Reviews

Updated 28 Apr 2020

3.3
Pros
  • "Donors are amazing and make the job worthwhile(in 17 reviews)

• "Competitive salary with generous salary packaging(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bullying culture (particularly from managers), so much pressure put on staff for individuals to do the work of 3 people(in 8 reviews)

• "Having to work rotating roster can be difficult when start times of shifts can vary a lot, makes work life balance hard to maintain(in 5 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Strategic Analyst in Melbourne

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career development The remuneration Good work Culture

Cons

I don't think there is any Cons . A bit bureaucratic.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-04-24

April 28, 2020National Talent Acquisition Manager

Great to hear you're enjoying your role at Lifeblood!

"Square pegs, square holes."

2.0
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Safe job at the moment. Some flexible working arrangements if you can access them. If you are not frontline, you will probably be happy. Trying to change the culture to be better, just unsure of really how to make that happen.

Cons

Absolutely no career progression. No diversity action. Leadership mentality is to promote the mirror image of themselves- it is endemic. Anyone who presents a different point of view is stuck where they are, forever. Dodgy hiring and promotion practices, especially internally. I work in an area that a person just magically one day turned into the 2IC. No job ad. No interviews. No one else given the chance, even though there are at least two others who are suitably qualified and capable. Bullying practices are fairly common, depending on where you are. Especially if you take a chance on yourself or think outside of the box. There are 2 populations of staff, the frontline staff (treated fairly poorly, generally an afterthought in decision making processes, no development opportunities, very little flexibility) and the bureaucracy (treated well, flexible working arrangements, development opportunities, paid better, respected for the job they do) Divisions and areas are completely siloed. Job and pay structure (classifications) are some of the most limited I have ever come across, which is having an impact on employment etc. it is impossible to move classifications and/or grades and once you reach the top of your very short grade, that is is for movement for you. The culture is trying to be better, the shadow culture doesn’t reflect that yet and at the rate it is going it will be many years before tangible change happens.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-04-28
  3. "Passionate staff but frustrating"

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood full-time

Pros

Shared vision of doing something good Friendly staff Interesting work

Cons

Silos within teams Head office mentality Limited resources

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-03-04

March 10, 2020National Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback, great to see you are enjoying relationships with colleagues and job satisfaction. In terms of the not-so-great side of things, if you feel comfortable, you can send a follow-up email to lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.com.au. We would love to learn more about this as it will help us to improve and continue to work together towards a shared purpose. Thanks again!

"A great place to work, helping support the community and people in need."

Current Employee - Senior Donor Services Consultant in Adelaide

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Every day you get to contribute to supporting the blood supply of Australia. - You have the opportunity to speak to some amazing people and have great conversations with people who want to help others. - Work for a supportive leadership team who are flexible and play to your strengths. - Excellent pay and benefits. - Opportunities to develop and learn new skills with hard work.

Cons

- Phone work can often lead to repetitiveness and can be monotonous, however consistently achieving your work goals and being a valued member of the team will allow for further opportunities to develop.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-02-17

March 10, 2020National Talent Acquisition Manager

Wow, this is great and constructive feedback - thanks for sharing! Agree wholeheartedly that it's amazing to work for an organisation that "gives life"and it's wonderful to know you feel supported by our Leadership team. Your feedback around career development opportunities and advice about clearer communication will be taken on-board. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!

5. "Great place to work, saving lives across the country"

Current Employee - Senior Donor Services Consultant in Adelaide

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great career development Our work saves lives and improves the lives of patients across the country The ability to make up time at the end /start of a shift if er need to leave work early on another day

Cons

Having to work rotating roster can be difficult when start times of shifts can vary a lot, makes work life balance hard to maintain having to work late shifts

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-02-17

March 10, 2020National Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We do recognize the challenges of a rotating roster and how that can impact work life balance for employees working varying shifts. There is work being undertaken around how we can improve this for all of our employees - if you have any ideas you would like to share, you can email lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

6. "Red Cross Processing Technician Brisbane"

Current Employee - Processing Technician in Brisbane

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood part-time for less than a year

Pros

- The most supportive workplace - An amazing team - Progressive learning that really allows for full understanding of each job - Interesting work - Easy to follow organisation updates and events - A job you can be proud to do - Flexible working arrangements - Knowledgable supervisors and staff

Cons

- Few opportunities for job progression for part-time workers - Teams can feel isolated from the organisation as a whole

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2020-01-24

January 27, 2020National Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts, it's great you feel supported and proud of the work we do here. We are always striving to improve as an organisation and will take on board your feedback around career progression and teams feeling isolated from the organisation as a whole. Again, thank you for taking the time.

7. "Bullying culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sydney

I worked at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Volunteer donors best thing about the job. Salary packaging very good.

Cons

Covert and overt bullying by management makes for an unhappy place. Expectations of meeting and increasing KPIs unrealistic as pressures are put on staff to do so without making mistakes. Not enough time to do training. Says there is flexibility in job hours. That is not strictly true as you are required to conform to operational requirements.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2019-11-21

November 24, 2019National Talent Acquisition Manager

We are very sorry to hear about your experience overall but it’s great you recognise our amazingly generous donors as a positive aspect during your time at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood (formerly Australian Red Cross Blood Service) . We take discrimination, bullying and harassment very seriously and aim to manage all reports promptly and fairly, in accordance with procedural fairness principles. If you would like to provide more feedback so we can take appropriate action, you can contact lifebloodcareers@redcrossblood.org.au in strict confidence.

8. "Great support and I have been very welcomed"

Current Employee - Enrolled Nurse in Brisbane

Pros

Meeting great people that come in and volunteer their time, working with great staff who have been nothing but supportive, Hours are great, Great flexibility and support a great work/life balance.

Cons

Feel pressured to meet the numbers/stats. Certain expectation that you are meeting expectations in regards to statistics but in saying that, I feel very supported and if I was to not be meeting expectations I feel I would be helped out by making goals/changes in order to get to where I need to be.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2019-11-04

November 13, 2019National Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback, it helps us to be an even better organisation. It sounds like you're in a great place being able to balance both your work and personal life, and glad to hear you are feeling supported by your colleagues and Managers. We have taken your advice on-board and strive to improve your experience even more. Keep up the great work!

9. "Purpose driven organisation with amazing people"

Current Employee - Plasma Strategy and Change Manager in Melbourne

Pros

We have a clear purpose and an important role supporting the nation. There is a wealth of knowledge in the organisation and a drive to make today better than yesterday. My career at the Blood Service has evolved a lot over the 8 years here - with new opportunities available around every corner, each with an opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

It's not a con in my mind but something that describes our company - our breadth of people and services spread across the nation means there are a variety of ideas and points of view to consider. The common purpose and strength of aligned passion make this a good environment to work within.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2019-10-01

November 13, 2019National Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide these constructive comments. As you have indicated, our people all have something in common - we are all passionate about improving the lives of the people in the diverse communities we serve. Great advice too - this will be passed on so that we can continue to provide our broad range of life-giving services. Thanks again!

10. "Great place to work and contribute to the community"

I have been working at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood full-time

Pros

Great people and culture focused on well being of the community, opportunity to be involved in innovative projects in health and technology.

Cons

Lack of flexible work arrangements.

Australian Red Cross Lifeblood2019-09-24

November 13, 2019National Talent Acquisition Manager

Just a quick note to say thank you for providing this feedback! Agreed that it's an amazing feeling waking up each morning knowing we are contributing to the wellbeing of all Australians. In terms of feeling as though flexible working opportunities are lacking, may we suggest that you contact your local People & Culture Consultant and current Manager to see what options may be available to suit your specific requirements. Thanks again for your contribution to our organisation.

Found 63 reviews