Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated Sep 6, 2020

Found 46 of over 366 reviews

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues(in 36 reviews)

• "Great people , supportive work environment(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great opportunity to learn and grow with amazing people.

Sep 3, 2020 - Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

AutoTrader values, culture and understanding people makes this an amazing place to work. I have been working at AutoTrader for more than a year. It has been a fabulous journey so far with lots of exciting learning opportunities. One thing that I feel is absolutely great about AutoTrader is that they really care about their employees. The way leadership team has managed the current COVID19 situation is remarkable.

Cons

Fast-paced environment but I find that exciting to learn and grow with experienced people.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you’ve had a positive start to your career and it’s wonderful to hear about the learning opportunities made available to you. You’ve had a first-year like no other and the global pandemic has created many challenges for us all. Considering the needs of 800+ employees against an ever-changing landscape hasn’t been an easy task and it continues to be a huge area of focus for our leadership team. We will keep learning, working together and supporting each other.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Their values are just meaningless words !!

Sep 6, 2020 - Account Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Was at Autotrader for just under 8 1/2 years and inItially found it to be a vibrant atmosphere that promised so much however ultimately delivered so little apart from a bitter taste in ones mouth !. It was probably for 6 of those years a great place to be , fast paced with fresh challenges almost on a daily basis which I thrive upon. Yes the money isn’t the worst out there but let’s not beat around the bush since I,ve moved on I’ve found that it’s far from market leading, but for a long time I saw past that even when the decision was made to take away commission from sales staff as we received a decent salary so I didn’t lose the appetite to deliver, so what happened ?, simple, Proper poor management !!

Cons

Witnessed this time and time again where gradually the very lifeblood was being sucked out of people by a lower management team who for what ever reason had decided you were past your “sell by date” It’s a standing joke in there with sales staff as that’s how you usually go, either off sick with nerves never to return or managed out of the business. Whoever answers this review ask around the business and if any sales staff have the bottle to tell the truth they will tell you that’s the case! They are not subtle about it either and when they want rid it’s a matter of time until they get that hook regardless . The management style if you could call it was such that I endured over the last two years was shambolic to say the least with constant bullying comments in 121 meetings. Eventually the mental torture became too much and for my own mental health which was at breaking point after a period of sickness left the business and must say best move I have made. I mentioned Autotrader,s values as my title here and the thing is in the business you are mean’t to live and breathe them, it,s not happening certainly not in Echelons of lower management as they are too focused on pushing sales staff to hit product and revenue growth targets that have increased significantly in recent times. Always told in training if it’s not the right solution for the customer don’t sell it, then when you come out of training management telling you to sell it to everyone regardless, square peg round hole scenario or greed whatever you want to call it. For a forward thinking company they have took quite a few steps backwards in their sales approach. So they don,t live their values and up to me leaving they certainly didn’t Give me any indication that they were. Following a grievance I raised where I felt as though I was under pressure to retract a statement I decided that a fresh start would be the best outcome for me mentally so when handing in my notice I requested an exit interview, and I wanted to set the record straight on how I felt but no Exit interview materialised, despite several promises ! Would,ve thought people ops would be #curious to know my thoughts but no could see they were #determined to get rid and sweep another one under the carpet !

16 people found this review helpful

Sales and Service Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings on this review. Our Account Managers are such a key part of our Tribe and the majority enjoy long lasting careers with us therefore it’s always disappointing when someone leaves. Our Values are fundamental to the way we operate and they are not just words to us. We aim to live by them every day and we hold our management teams accountable when that doesn’t happen so I am sorry to hear that you felt your experience was not consistent with what we aspire to provide to everybody. Hope that you accessed our various support pathways for your mental health and your wellbeing has improved. I have to disagree with your comments regarding our approach with our Retailers. Our customers remain of utmost importance as always and again we’re proud of how we are supporting them and the industry throughout COVID-19. The feedback to many of us has been very humbling to digest. It is all down to the work of your former colleagues who all recognise we are a commercial business and we need to grow but the priority is always about healthy, sustainable growth delivered through great ways of working with our retailers. I personally checked with our people operations team and an exit interview was offered to each one of our leavers but if you didn’t get the chance to share everything before you left contact myself or Rebecca Clark and we can arrange a follow up as we are always here to listen to feedback.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Always striving for a more diverse and inclusive culture

Jul 8, 2020 - PR Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Auto Trader already has established networks within the company to represent and act as safe spaces for people spanning BAME, LGBTQ+, mental wellbeing, neurodiversity and environment. You're encouraged to get actively involved in any (or all) of the networks you are interested in, and the business seems committed to learning and improving its own practices to ensure a multicultural and diverse working force/ work culture. Many brands, especially in this current climate, are coming out to say they support diversity, however many fail in backing this up with action. I genuinely feel AT walks the walk as well as talks the talk. It is a genuine ally in D&I matters and has so many actions in place to deliver against this. Whilst the company is large with 100s of people, you don't feel like another cog in the machine. Its set up includes 'tribes' and 'squads' which splits the workforce into different, smaller working groups and allows for more individual development, whether career or personal-related. Auto Trader has really looked after its people during the COVID-19 outbreak. The offices in Manchester (HQ) and London are amazing! I'm looking forward to returning to them once lockdown restrictions further ease. The layout and interior design is very 'cool tech company' and designed to inspire creativity.

Cons

Very fast-paced but I find this exciting!

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our employee networks have been working tirelessly for the past six years, it is definitely not new to us, to create an inclusive culture so I am really pleased that your experience meets our aspirations. Recent events have made us reflect on our progress and we acknowledge that we need to do more. During this challenging time our work community has come together and our people have supported each other in truly heart warming ways. Communication when we are not in our offices can be tricky but like you say we need to work on it and improve it.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company to work for

Jun 10, 2020 - People and Culture in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked at Auto Trader for almost 5 years now and having had a number of roles, I can honestly say that Auto Trader recognises the personal and professional development of their staff and provides all the possible tools to support you. With Diversity and Inclusion being at the heart of the business, it's refreshing to know that i can be my whole, true self at work. Auto Trader recognises everyone's differences and celebrates them all. I can't imagine working anywhere better

Cons

Although i like the fast pace environment and i like change, not everyone might.

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you have been enjoying working with us for five years, you are able to be your true self and develop professionally. Fast paced and ever evolving are definitely characteristics that keep our business successful. But, we always try to find time to relax as well.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great supportive culture, in a dynamic and fast-paced company

Apr 17, 2020 - Communications Director in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a highly dynamic and collaborative company that fosters true autonomy and responsibility. It acknowledges your skill sets and allows you to develop in a plethora of ways.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and decisions change constantly, which can be hard for some to manage. But it does mean things get done and the business is constantly moving forwards.

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have brilliant people in our teams and trusting them with autonomy and responsibility comes easy. Moving fast and not being afraid to pivot has been key to our success and allows us to keep moving. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time working with us.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fabulous

Mar 19, 2020 - Resourcing Advisor in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People - a bunch of amazingly talented people who look after each other - Culture - a culture of learning, community, wellbeing, and belonging - Values - are lived and breathed by everyone - Management - truly care for colleagues, our customers and our community - Hierarchy - or lack thereof. Everyone is approachable for a chat including senior leaders - Development - a clear and individual development path, and support from your manager to get there - Tech - super efficient technology that allows you to do your job better - Office - really cool offices :)

Cons

It can be very fast paced at Auto Trader and things can change pretty quickly, but it's exciting and you will soon get used to it and see this as a pro.

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your first year working with us. Your list of "Pros" is a brilliant summary of what makes our business so special. Fast paced can be exciting but we always try to find time to relax as well.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people

Feb 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

8. 5.0

Great place to work!

Dec 27, 2019 - Head of Digital Marketing in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is great and some of the best people I have worked with! The people that work here really do live and breathe values and the values are integral to everything we do. There is complete trust which gives you full autonomy to just get on with what you do best, the company has a flat structure and there is no micro management. The company is really forward thinking and always willing to test new things which means we are always one step ahead and constantly innovating.

Cons

Working environment is really fast paced which some people might see as a negative thing but one of the things that I enjoy the most which means no two days are the same which is great!

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working with us. Our six Auto Trader values guide everything we do and are the most important element of our culture. Like you say we need to keep innovating, operate at pace in order to remain successful and our people are trusted to continue doing great work and achieving brilliant results.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for if you're in the right area!

Dec 2, 2019 - Senior Java Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting projects fast paced great culture & atmosphere majority of the people are friendly cutting edge tech inclusive groups lots of various activities office is great!

Cons

sly tech owner in buying experience feeling undervalued even though you always go the extra mile. if you're not liked by tech owner/director then no chance of staying, you will get pushed out.

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about working with us. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culture, time with colleagues and our great offices. I am sorry you felt that your relationship with your tech owner wasn't as positive; we provide different avenues for colleagues to provide feedback and our Tribe Leads and People team are always here to listen so hopefully you got the chance to share your thoughts before you left us. Thank you again for your review and wishing you success with your future.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting Company to work for!

Aug 12, 2019 - Squad Lead in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, lovely office and good benefits. The opportunities to progress here are genuine if you're willing to work hard and get stuck in. It's fast paced, lots of change and there's never a dull moment.

Cons

I don't see it as a negative but you have to be 100% committed and be willing to keep moving forwards, keep up with the pace and keep giving it your all!

Employer Brand Manager

It comes up time and time again, but we never tire of seeing positive comments regarding our people and the friendliness of our working environment. It makes us feel incredibly proud. As you've pointed out, there's lots of opportunity for progression. For example, we advertise all of our jobs internally, and we encourage everyone to take advantage of the career framework and utilise the coaching and mentoring network. Our employees are empowered to make their own decisions regarding their careers, and we're behind them every step of the way! We have ambitious plans for the future, which means that we're a fast-paced business, and change is inevitable. We understand that this way of working doesn't come naturally to everyone, and we hope that our collaborative and considerate approach makes everyone feel included. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it's been great to hear your thoughts.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews