Auto Trader UK Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Sep 18, 2020

Found 36 of over 366 reviews

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues(in 36 reviews)

• "Great people , supportive work environment(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very fast-paced but I find this exciting(in 28 reviews)

• "Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor

AutoTrader

Sep 18, 2020 - People and Culture in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people , supportive work environment

Cons

None so far, the leadership team have done their best in difficult circumstances

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We are all dealing with difficult circumstances and our people have continued supporting each other, living by our company values and giving us more reasons to be thankful for our work community.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A truly amazing, supportive and dynamic company

Sep 7, 2020 - Product Designer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The main pro I can give to Auto Trader is its people. Having worked at AT for 5+ years on multiple teams, I have had the pleasure to work with many individuals across the business and what it really apparent and unique about Auto Trader are its people and the culture we have. We have such a talented workforce who are supportive and willing to help each other out and look out for each other. It's a truly collaborative workplace. Albeit we have not been in the office for some time now, our working environment is geared up to supporting our collaborative nature and nurturing creativity and ideas (90% of the walls are whiteboards so you can write anywhere! We have cars and vans converted into meeting rooms, colourful and open office space, breakout rooms, quiet spaces and multi-faith rooms to name a few). I can't imagine many other companies allow you to own your own development like AT do. Should you find yourself interested in how another team works or feel you have a keen interest in another area, you have the support from the company to help you develop yourself (mentors, workshops, the ability to chat to anyone in the canteen to ask them for advice). I can't speak for everyone here but my experiences with my managers has been nothing but exceptional. They have truly had my best intentions at heart and are very approachable and easy to talk to should I need to. Great benefits schemes and incentives. Volunteering days - 2 days a year (not deducted from your holidays) to volunteer. This can be from pre-selected organisations through our Benefacto partner or charities a little closer to your heart. To sum all this up. Auto Trader truly is a great place to work and I feel extremely proud to work here.

Cons

We are a large organisation and there is lots going on / to take in so don't be concerned if it all feels a little overwhelming at first (You'll soon understand it all!).

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Talented colleagues, a chance to own your own development, supportive managers and a great working environment sounds like a good summary of the reasons why we all enjoy working together. You raise a good point about new starters needing to take some time to figure out everything that is going on. Being curious and reaching out to colleagues and asking questions is the best way to go about it.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for

Sep 3, 2020 - Senior Front End Developer in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Lots of opportunities to work of a variety of projects.

Cons

Can be difficult to figure out career progression route after a certain point.

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Our culture and work environment is a testament to you and our colleagues. It’s a collective effort and it fills us with great pride when we think about how our culture has evolved and how it continues to develop because of our people. We encourage our employees to define their own career path at Auto Trader, so I understand that our non-linear approach to progression isn’t always clear cut. There is plenty of support available to help you define your career goals; I would encourage you to speak to your people leader or reach out to a member of our People team at AT.developyou@autotrader.co.uk

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible company

May 29, 2020 - Graduate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Incredibly inclusive working conditions and accessible for all including those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions - Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues - Flat hierarchy structure and hot desking system which creates a casual environment - Loads of benefits - Always open to criticism and continuing to change when necessary - Working groups and networks for people to fundraise for causes they care about - Offices in both Manchester and London meaning that there are often opportunities to travel between the two (could be a con for some people but I enjoy it)

Cons

- Can't think of any to report on!

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working with us. We have partnered with various charities and our colleagues from our Disability & Neurodiversity Network are constantly working to maintain an inclusive working environment. But our job is not done and as you say we are open to more ideas, criticism and we will continue to change.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people

Feb 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Company i've ever work for!!!

Nov 11, 2019 - Squad Lead in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Entrepreneurial mindset and everyone's ideas are never overlooked. Mature and collaborative environment to work in. There are many routes to progression and a lot of opportunities as long as you are prepared to work for them. I go to sleep on a Sunday looking forward to work the next day unlike with other jobs. It really makes a massive difference when you enjoy your job. Management is clear and concise allowing you to crack on with your duties contributing toward the collaborative/entrepreneurial mindset this amazing company offers. The people are diverse but come together to create an amazing working environment. The company offers great benefits including pension scheme, private health care and other offerings dependent on your lifestyle and circumstances outside of work. Work events are great fun and have a good budget to ensure all staff are accommodated for.

Cons

The commute to Manchester. However, this isn't a negative of Auto Trader. The work space is amazing and being a digital business working from home is an option dependent on your department and manager of course. Sometimes you can feel isolated if you do work from home or are field based. Also hard work is sometimes overlooked and not rewarded as much as you's maybe like.

Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Going to bed on the Sunday looking forward to your working week is always a good sign. We will take your feedback on board around rewarding and celebrating all the great work that our colleagues achieve all the time.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

What an amazing place to work.

Aug 12, 2019 - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed. You can go as far as you want to go within the company if you put in the work. Super flexible company will accommodate every need to the best of there ability.

Cons

I have encountered no issues or feel there is nothing bad at this company

Employer Brand Manager

It sounds like you've settled into Auto Trader Life incredibly well, and it's great to read about your experience so far. The career framework has been designed to guide you throughout your career at Auto Trader, but as you've rightly mentioned, it's down to the individual. With this kind of approach, the sky's the limit, so we wish you the best of luck! Thank you for your review.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Industry-leading, fast-paced company with a passion for people

Jul 19, 2019 - Performance Partner in Worthing, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great working environment, with the determination to be inclusive and nurturing to all. This ethos is true for their customers as well as its employees.

Cons

If you are a field based employee, as I was, it can be a little onerous to get to the Manchester Head Office. If you're Manchester based, it's a fabulous place to work.

Resourcing Partner

Our community of remote workers spans the entire country, and we understand the challenges that come with being on the road. We looked at the way we were interacting with our remote workers and decided to take a different approach to strengthen the connection. It's lovely to hear you speak so positively about the working environment and how included you felt during your time with us. We're proud to have a presence in the North and South of England. Our headquarters are based in Manchester, and we have a smaller office in Kings Cross, London. We encourage colleagues working remotely to make use of both of the spaces, but appreciate that a lot of customer activity takes place in our Manchester office. As a digital business, we recruit people that are passionate about driving change across the automotive landscape, and we do this by designing, building and delivering innovative data products. Disrupting any kind of marketplace is always going to be a challenge, but we're incredibly confident in our colleagues and their expertise. We wish you the very best of luck in your new adventure and thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Cons as well as pros

Jul 16, 2019 - Consumer Research Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

A very nice work environment

Cons

People operations don’t take complaints seriously

Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Our offices have evolved over the years based on the ever-changing needs of our employees. We're incredibly proud of our versatile and open plan working spaces, so we're pleased to hear that you're enjoying the environment. Along with our commitment to provide offices our people can be proud of, we work hard to continually foster a culture where everyone enjoys coming to work in an environment that promotes open conversations, mutual appreciation and above all respect. Sometimes and inevitably issues do arise in the workplace that requires some support from our people team and I’m sorry you felt you have experienced something in the workplace which resulted in a complaint. There are various channels available to support our people during this time as we take complaints whether informal or formal very seriously. It's great to hear that you knew to approach the people team for support but it concerns us to hear that you feel your complaint hasn't been taken seriously. All complaints are dealt with in line with the ACAS code of practice to ensure consistency, best practice and fairness. We also have a robust appeals process which provides another opportunity for individuals to voice their concerns to independent managers should they feel their complaints haven’t been resolved. We would encourage you to reach out to the People team once more and share your concerns around the approach to your complaint and work together to resolve any issues you feel are still impacting your enjoyment at work

10. 5.0

The best company

Jul 2, 2019 - Consumer Operations in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are endless. I don’t think I would change anything about the company ethos or work environment. Auto trader is a fantastic place to work and I love having a job I like to go to. Leadership and management is amazing and the there are opportunities in which you can definitely fulfil your goals (even goals you didn’t think you had before working at auto trader). I’ve worked in plenty of businesses that value money. But this company really understands people, values and culture.

Cons

The company is rather fast paced. Personally, I don’t see this as a negative.

Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It sounds like you've jumped straight into Auto Trader Life and enjoying the challenge! Our career framework has been designed so that we drive our own success and growth. We encourage colleagues to set personal goals to stretch and challenge themselves, and it looks like you've wasted no time in doing just that!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews