Bank of Queensland Reviews

Updated 2 Aug 2020

2.4
Bank of Queensland Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Stuart Grimshaw (no image)
Stuart Grimshaw
Pros
Cons
  • "This Bank needs a complete fresh start of senior management to cull all of the staff who are ruining this company(in 11 reviews)

• "I worked for BOQ and held several positions across the company for over five years(in 8 reviews)

1. "A great environment to work in. Staff are well looked after as well as their customers."

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Relationship Specialist in Brisbane

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

All about customer service not pushing sales

Cons

Systems are sometimes a bit slow

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Analyst in Brisbane

I have been working at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

-QLD based bank- headquarters in Brisbane -colleagues 'in the trenches' together

Cons

- unsupportive managers -no accountability. The culture is to pass the blame to those underneath -no interest in improving the processes and systems- just work harder and longer -"reasonable hours" wage was manipulated so that everyone is 'technically' on minimum wage and whatever the difference over the minimum wage is all inclusive of any overtime or public holidays you could work (i.e. to be paid overtime you would need to exceed 30h+ pf in overtime)

Continue reading

"Under resourced, no recognition for good work."

Current Employee - Analyst in Brisbane

I have been working at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

Small bank so you get to know management.

Cons

Under investment in technology/systems. Under resourced in some key departments. Senior Leaders aren't held accountable. If you're good at your job you get more work for the same title and salary.

"Mixed bag, avoid"

Current Employee - Senior Risk Analyst in Brisbane

I have been working at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

Met some great people during my time there, if you are lucky enough to get into a great team where everyone looks out for each other.

Cons

The graduate program was poorly run. This feedback has been given to the senior leaders/coordinators on numerous occasions however very little has been done to try and remediate the issue. I feel sorry for the graduates who are still stuck in the program. In my first two weeks there, I witnessed blatant racism from a staff member who had been working there for almost a decade (her poor behaviour continued to go on). When I raised my concerns about her behaviour with my direct manager, I was told that 'this is how she is'. It is an incredibly toxic environment to work in, depending on the team you end up in.

"Poor management, no support. Corporate branches have worst culture."

Former Employee - Lending Specialist in Sydney

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small bank with great vision

Cons

Bad management specially on corporate branches, they have just filled bums on seats with no skills and brains. Managers have no sense of people management skills. Working here was no value to my career and skills because they dont value employees. You will just be a muppet who will follow bosses that are in competition to prove themselves.

"No career growth"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Bank of Queensland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working arrangements, good work culture, good people to work with

Cons

Even after working for 6 years I never had any salary increment and no career growth. HR is horrible, they wants to implement so many structures for learning and development. Nothing really make any sense as they prefer to hire external talent rather than an dedicated internal resource. HR can take weeks to response to a simple query. Lady in the recruitment team is unprofessional and irresponsible. She didn't respond to my enquiry about one role even after I tried to contact her multiple times. There is favoritism in work allocation and everything. People who work in the ground, provide output on time are not preferred. But, people who are good at talking/have time for coffee are preferred. Higher management also prefers people based on personal relationship, rather than work experience etc.

7. "."

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Brisbane

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

Great people to work with,

Cons

Do not communicate clearly with their future direction to all staff, Middle management heavy

8. "Interesting work on offer at this company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse and interesting work opportunities

Cons

Critical business units are understaffed

"Sadly very dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Marketing in Newstead, Queensland

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Newstead office is modern and located in a nice area, people are generally nice and the coffee machine is better than most

Cons

Unfortunately those in leadership and management roles are not experienced enough to support the team. They are lovely people but struggle to create a culture of empowerment and trust. Sad to see so many great professionals and people leave the business when they realise the legacy leaders aren't able to lead the team to success. Significant cultural issues that been identified but not successfully resolved by leadership.

10. "Average"

Former Employee - Group Finance in Brisbane

I worked at Bank of Queensland full-time

Pros

- Great colleagues - Broad role - Remote working acceptance - Special leave

Cons

- The senior leadership team is taking the culture in the wrong direction and not living the purpose - External candidates are preferred over internal candidates for opportunities

Found 136 reviews