Baringa Partners Employee Reviews about "consultancy"

Updated 9 Apr 2020

Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge
Pros
  • "Good culture, people know each other more than in traditional consultancy(in 17 reviews)

• "Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "consultancy"

Return to all Reviews

"Nice colleagues but partners have been greedy"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are on the whole very nice to work with. The focus on culture is real and makes for a better environment than many consultancies. In recent years growth has been strong with good promotion opportunities.

Cons

At the first sight of a downturn the Partners have imposed company wide pay cuts and unpaid leave. The partners took out huge profits in the boom years (£5million for highest paid partner in FY19) but are not putting any of it back into the business just 12 months on. This greed is normal at other consultancies - Baringa talks of being different but I don't see it.

Continue reading

"Fine company nothing amazing"

Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

It is people focused

Cons

A tier 2 consultancy (in financial services at least)

"Decent"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture, people know each other more than in traditional consultancy.

Cons

Still a typical cosultancy and people over worked. Several people in my team were signed off work due to being overworked and their mental health. Also, they need to work on their diversity in a big way.

"Thoughts on Baringa as a new Partner"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing People-oriented culture which was heavily marketed before I joined and has proven genuine through out my first couple of months Very client-centric approach in which the needs and priorities of clients are really clearly at the heart of our work

Cons

I think some of those who have been here for a while have perhaps forgotten or become acclimatised to how good it is here and how well people are looked after. Having worked in a large corporate for the last 13 years and one of the Big 4 consultancies for 10 years before that, I am so impressed by how good things are here

Continue reading
  5. "Glass 8/10 full @ Growth pains worth enjoying"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After a number of years, I feel gratefull for Baringa inviting me to a world of consulting from industry. They took a leap of faith. I did as well. It paid out for both - in revenues, and mutual development. I arrived at the time when company was small enough for senior team to immediately know your name when bumping with you at the elevator. We are bigger now. Being bigger allows to go after bigger goals...it also comes with acceptance of growth pains...and enjoying those.... We are an FT 2018 no 1 consultancy in utilities alongside McKinsey - deep niche expertise, great people, clients being served flexibly and devotedly. And at better rates than certain competitors.... I can not vouch for non-energy, but based on people whom I do know in other BUs from famed social get aways, common courses and informal drinks/dinners , we deserve a similar ranking in FS and other new areas of work at the very least from “great people” and “passion” perspective.... Now for those of us, enjoying models, I gonna test Baringa through PERK (Purpose, Engagement, Resilience, Kindness) to arrive to my 8/10 Glass full. 1. Purpose. Clearly, we are moving towards a transformational global advisory firm with deep industry expertise, be it at energy, finance or even a temp theme such as Brexit. And our, inspirational, management leads the way jn finding ways to keep selling work - with differing success, which is a reality of consulting. So here is 8/10. To get to 10, the firm already started rewarding the appropriate business development behaviour. In my personal view, an advisory firm thrives when it sells interesting work, which at turn motivates people (see 2 below). 2. Engagement. Great people, who are all brilliant to work together. A true pleasure. 10/10 3. Resilience. In consulting, flexibility and time pressure is what you sign up to. Key is how as a team, and firm you support this. Baringa since last year puts great effort in courses, leadership attention on WLB, mental health etc. 7/10. To go to 10, is I think impossible - one needs to select when hiring people who are able to say No, but deliver when it matters, and if needed work to late night to flexibly go to a long breakfast with loved ones next day. CEO encourages such behaviour - himself a family man - and this is a great feature. WLB for advisory means ability to prioritise, and work hard when it matters, and relax afterwards to prepare for next hill. 4. Kindness How are we treating each other when we get bad news? Do we care? Do we ask about one’s holiday? Do we bring each other tea when its cold in office? Do we smile when seeing each other? We do....see above. This does not mean one is not confronted if sales targets, or utilisation, are not adressed. After all, its consulting - so kindness goes with together making profits....10/10

Cons

There are colleagues who see glass more empty - fair enough. To me, this is fine. I worked in quite a few organisations - Baringa is as good as it gets, for a commercial advisory business. So there was some truth to posts “like a glove” from July 2017 - leadership picked up on those. Did they do a perfect job? Well join, and help further.

Continue reading

"Fantastic people, great working culture, be careful to not dilute it"

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

I left Baringa over the last few months and while I did not initially intend to leave a review I was quite surprised to read some overly exaggerated negative feedback and thought I could share mine. Let's start with what Baringa does well: - Probably the best working culture I have ever experienced in my career - Good non cash benefits (e.g. healthcare and travel cover) - Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective. Therefore the company has a pretty unique policy where the more you are away from home the more extra holiday you get as well as salary increase (up to +25% if I remember correctly, could be wrong) - It is one of the few places where I actually made a number of friends, I always felt part of a team that cared for its members - You have a lot of room to explore different business ideas and are encouraged to develop new offerings if you are interested in this, even at the junior level - Base salary is pretty competitive - Quite a few reviews have mentioned the parties, that's true but I would focus more on all the social events. I had a very good time in each one of them - Good career progression, assessment process is pretty transparent and seems fair

Cons

- Pension is absolutely not up to what a company of that size should offer, you get the mandatory minimum - Bonus is not really a bonus but a profit share scheme, it looked like it is below competition for a given grade and banding (at least when I compared against my friends') - Probably too much communication on why Baringa is great, especially when it comes to work life balance. While I had a fantastic time overall at the firm, there were times when was struggling. Same is true for Baringa. Baringa is a very good workplace but not the best and the more the company grows the more people will feel disconnected if the messaging is only about "we are the best". The recent negative reviews on glassdoor prove the point. Gone are the days when Baringa had only 300 employees. Consultants do work hard, it is the nature of the job. While Baringa has an OK work life balance for a consultancy it is definitely worse that what we see at our clients'. - It looks like Baringa has an opportunistic approach to work, would be great to see more emphasis on strategy and have people to actually execute it. - Can Baringa grow and maintain its DNA? It sometimes looked like the firm was headed towards the same type of culture we could see at the Big4/Accenture.

Continue reading

"A CULT surviving on deceptive and aggressive marketing"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are definitely some advantages to working here. Some negative posters need to understand that this is not a Big 4 or prestigious consultancy, and never will be! If you are working for a low-end service provider, it is important to take that into perspective. It is unfair to complain about poor pay, pensions and poor internal operations. - Most people are agreeable and a pleasure to work with. - Generous pay and benefits for what it’s worth - The company wants to do well and has a strong appetite for growth. Unfortunately, partners go about it in the worst ways possible! - Yearly international getaways are a good and welcome incentive - Flat structure and you get to have your say. They show that they care. Despite being deceptive, it can often be encouraging - If you wish to have an easy work environment due to life events etc., this is not a bad place to spend some time - I disagree with the complaints around long hours. Success in this company is all about fitting into their cliques, which most people realize very quickly. It is much easier to do that than produce quality work. - The award for recruitment referrals is a dinner voucher with a partner. It is nice to have something different that gets you visibility to senior management, as opposed to a cash award

Cons

- Senior management coerce you into cultish behaviours. Corporate bullying is rife. If you don't play along, they will get back at you. The CEO is the main driver of these behaviours. However, he is great at maintaining his image and getting other people to put his cultish ideals into practice! - The German, US and Australian offices have been performing poorly and sucking up our bonuses. This is extremely demoralizing. UK staff work hard and we suffer for poor performance in other locations. - There are many partners who have not sold a single project and have been here for years. They are around only because of the “close-knit old mens’ clique”. They tell you that they take diversity seriously, but the reality is very disturbing! They have put a few mascots here and there to cover their tracks. - The partners force employees into aggressive marketing tactics. The global head of financial services asks new employees to open up their Linkedin profiles and introduce him to their contacts. I haven’t worked in another consultancy before, so can’t comment if this is common practice. It certainly felt very awkward! - The marketing tactics on Linkedin actually hurt the company. As a client once said, “Your activity on Linkedin should get alarm bells ringing!” They get low-end publishers to put out deceptive stats and then aggressively market them on Linkedin! - At corporate events, staff and their partners are allotted shared accommodation with other families to save money. Employees have been brainwashed to the point that they defend it saying it is a good way to “network”. Almost all staff use Easyjet or Ryanair for corporate travel - The company events are straight out of a sitcom. At dinner, employees are asked to rise and their significant others to “take a moment to appreciate the effort of their partners”. It is so corny! If you want to build a cult, at least TRY to be subtle about it. - The CEO walks down the aisle in black-tie attire alongside a lady in a shiny gown for the awards ceremony. The environment reeks of a “pretentious wannabe upper-class” group. My friends couldn’t stop laughing when I showed them a video I took. - The partners keep boasting about winning the “Best Workplace award”. The process is rigged. Individuals are hand-picked to provide feedback with no anonymity. They also spend considerable effort in preparing the submission just to get the award. And a lot more telling everyone about it. - The knowledge and skills in the company are pathetic. This is unlikely to get better as they continue to recruit people who are like them. People who can write two lines of code are forced to label themselves “ethical hackers”. The worst part is partners don’t realize how foolish they look in doing these things.

Baringa Partners Response

December 5, 2018Partner and People Lead

I am disappointed to read this review and would encourage you to reach out to me to discuss your experience. David Harris (People Partner).

"Senior Consultant at Baringa"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Baringa has the best culture of any consulting firm I have worked for (out of 3). Leadership truly care about their people, and our current managing partner oozes this with every word and action that he says and does. Baringa recognises that the volume of travel and being away from home isn't something anyone really enjoys, and so it compensates employees on "out of town" projects both financially and with additional holidays. This is something I have never seen at any consultancy and one that sets Baringa apart and demonstrates how much they care about their people. Baringa has been the first consultancy to accept me for who I am, and I have watched its people do the same with many other new joiners. We strive hard not to simply hire in our own image and I feel we already have quite a diverse workforce, but never one to rest on our laurels we are still working hard to push the message of diversity across the company. Furthermore, Baringa is full of bright, passionate and smart people. We are not a corporate SI giant, and if you are tired of that life I would highly suggest Baringa is a step in the right direction to better work life balance, but just as interesting work.

Cons

There are few downsides I have seen to working at Baringa. As with any consultancy, you do have to travel, and you do have to occasionally do a role that doesn't fit your skillset, but you can't ever avoid that in consulting. My biggest downside at the moment is that we have grown so much in the last year our home office in London is getting rather full on Friday's when most people come in, but it's manageable and we've been acquiring other space in an nearby building to help this.

Continue reading

"2yrs in Tech Transformation - So far so good"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very little 'dead wood': Full of smart people who know their onions and are deeply passionate about their chosen field. e.g. Our Technology Transformation team are, for the most part, pretty technical in their chosen fields. - Ability to take ownership: Baringa is still relatively small so the opportunity to build a proposition/capability, or have an idea and run with it, is very real. Partners will back you if you have present a credible case. - Genuinely collaborative: This comes out in two ways, firstly business units do collaborate to try and build the right project team for each engagement. Secondly, unlike some other consultancies I feel like I could ask colleagues for help if I needed some advice or was struggling on any particular engagement, and not have it held or used against me. People want to see you succeed and this overrides most of the personal ambition/politics/agendas I've experienced elsewhere. It also encourages people to speak up rather than soldier on into situations they may not know how to handle. - Work Life Balance: In the context of consulting, Baringa makes much more than a token effort to help with this. I know that senior management and partners actively take into account personal situations (e.g. getting married, having a baby, etc) when staffing a client and will not fling someone out to the Outer Hebrides with 24hrs notice. Combined with the perks available for when you do work out of town, this becomes quite a big differentiator to me

Cons

- If you are a generalist it can be a little tough to find your place when you are surrounded by SMEs everywhere you turn.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

-Transparency of staffing, company performance and future strategy - Support from senior team members - like nothing I have experienced anywhere else - Compensation for out of town working and long commutes - Team socials and activities - Ability to discuss options for your next project - Variety of work - unlike larger consultancies, there are plenty of smaller projects covering extremely interesting areas; not just large implementation projects

Cons

Sometimes teams can be very small, which is a big difference if you are coming from a larger consultancy - especially if working out of town.

Found 27 reviews