Bed Bath N' Table Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 13 March 2019

1.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I wish I could go back!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours, great pay, amazing co-workers, ongoing training and support, no set uniform, opportunities for promotion.

Cons

Talking on the phone and requesting stock from other stores was often unpleasant.

Advice to Management

This was the best job I have ever had, I’m so upset to see so many negative reviews!

2. "Ok but not great"

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great team environment
    - got to learn how to make a bed

Cons

- competitive and unrealistic budgets lead to staff members unscrupulously fighting over sales
    - management communication is really bad: my boss was basically a bully. You either did everything her way or get out, no room for own individuality in styling and selling

Advice to Management

Back off, let your staff members do their job.

3. "Part Time Casual on Full Time Hours"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Menai
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Menai

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Customers were wonderful and made coming to work so very worth it. And my Manager at the Time, Susanna Whybro.

Cons

The Toxic Upper Management and the Occasional Sociopathic Co-Worker.

Advice to Management

Toxicity affects Profit and Efficiency.

"Treat Staff As Numbers"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sydney

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount is nice at 30% and the people you meet make coming to work worth it.

Cons

Being thrown in postions with little training and having to teach yourself. Having daily budgets that are almost impossible to reach. Regional Managers are snarley and rude.

Advice to Management

Provide correct training to give employees the best opportunity at success.

"Treat you like a number without a brain"

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table full-time

Pros

Store staff were encouraging and fun

Cons

Lack of vision for staff no support they belittle you and treat u like a number to just churn out sales

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff on the ground , value the talents and experience of the people you employ.

"Casual sales assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Worked with some lovely people.
    -That I left.

Cons

- Unhealthy kpi system which lead to staff fighting for sales to the point where staff would race to the counter for customers holding $$ items. Staff who linger around the POS system while achieving not much else will generally be able to meet their targets by literally letting the sales come to them. The budgets aren’t considerate of staff being assigned other jobs ie doing stock versus being on the floor. If you’re performing poorly in terms of kpis, then expect very minimal shifts in the future.
    - Very old in their ways. Unsure why it is necessary to call the RM with data and sales figures everyday when this information should be quite easily accessible from HQ.
    - Nonexistent company culture.
    - It is hard to see hard working and intelligent fellow staff members being treated with little respect. The store only hired casuals, which says a lot about how they like their staff - disposable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them like humans. There is something quite wrong with managements current strategy. KPIs are important and it is reasonable for a company to relieve under perfmorning staff for the better of their business, but when it is happening to a large portion of your staff, then that would be a sign of poor management. A review into management and HR seems necessary.

"Sales team"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Melbourne

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely products , great customers and nice team members

Cons

Really physical work , which I don't mind but feels like we work in a warehouse almost daily vm changes and no thanks for any hard work , management only see what we haven't done for the day . On top of trying to reach our kpi s for the week and making budget I find this company very stress ful and a very thankless job . We are told by head office that on the weekend we must be customer focused ( which is great ) but management have us changing windows and cleaning storerooms , then when management say they have done all the work !!! So glad I've left this company 😃

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better !!

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talking to customers and being able to style displays is fun

Cons

Terrible management with unrealistic KPI's. They expect you to work until exhaustion for no reward or incentive. Your shifts are completely based on your performance, so you will be competing with other staff members which made the job horrible and hostile. The way management treats staff is terrible, and they seem to think that dictator style managing is the way to go. So glad I left, wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Advice to Management

Remove individual KPI's, this doesn't affect store performance it only creates a horrible working environment. Upper management needs to learn how to respect hard working staff and give them incentives / actual facilities. The POS system is from the 90s, for such a multi million dollar company, you'd think they would update it to make it easier for staff and reducing paper wastage.

"Avoid like the plague!"

Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% off staff discount on full price items which isn't actually that good as most products go on sale for 35% off

You will meet a COUPLE of nice people to work with (if you're lucky)

Cons

Management is shocking, and you will never receive praise for anything you do, if you love constant negativity, this place is the place for you!

Regional management is basically just bullying and everyone gets the shakes when the regional is in store.

Training was promised to me, but none was received and managers were constantly surprised when I had to ask how to do things, as if it was my fault.

They are very focused on individual sales, which makes other staff members try and steal sales and sets a really bad vibe for the stores.

I LOVE working in retail, but Bed Bath N Table showed me the bad side of retail and what happens if you know nothing about teamwork and positive reinforcement.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to your staff and notice how miserable they all are. If you get treated like a piece of garbage, you're going to work like one too eventually.

The regional managers need to stop being bullies and should offer support and training to their staff.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne

I worked at Bed Bath N' Table part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fair hourly salary.
    - Fair staff discount.
    - Amazing support and culture from store level team.
    - Always something to do, even during quiet times.
    - Team members had 'individual' sales targets however the team always helped each other achieve their targets to counteract potential discord and low morale.
    - Great communication from Head Office via morning voicemails which advised staff of company news, targets & achievements.
    - Held staff to a high standard of customer service which lead to positive customer experiences and a better work environment.

Cons

- Store level staff were treated with little respect and an air of distrust from regional manager at the time (Melbourne).
    - Individual team member sales targets had potential to cause unhealthy competitiveness within store team (luckily my team decided to work together instead & always made store budgets as a result).
    - Damaged goods were destroyed instead of being recycled and/or donated anonymously (without tags or branding) to charities.
    - No tangible incentives for making budget.

Advice to Management

- Visits from Head Office staff, including Regional Managers & Visual Merchandisers should be utilised better. Instead of making the staff feel like they are 'on trial', the visits should be approached as if Head Office staff are part of that store team they are visiting, make positive changes & delivering strategies that improve the store morale.
    - Implement staff team monetary incentives, not just individual ones that result in obtaining a certificate that means nothing career wise. We aren't in primary school anymore ladies & gentlemen!
    - Reward good behaviour and performance in more direct ways.
    - Promote from within more if you notice a star performer with potential.