Bench Accounting Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

Bench Accounting CEO 	Ian Crosby
Ian Crosby
Pros
  • "There is also good flexibility to work from home or even work remote for small periods(in 25 reviews)

• "I've learned so much and met so many great people since I joined Bench a little over a year ago(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only real Con is that Tax Season can be incredibly busy, but the summertime is the complete opposite so it does make up for this(in 15 reviews)

• "Long hours for certain departments, rapid changes (negative to some)(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great place to grow"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

- Great place to start out if you've just graduated - Lots of support from your managers with your career development - If you speak up about a problem, they listen and try to come up with a solution that's fair - You work with some of the smartest people and learn a lot from each other - You can carve your own career path here and gain so many transferrable skills you wouldn't get from University - Really focused on providing the best client experience and quality which is awesome -- they care!!

Cons

- Very cliquey, feels like university sometimes - Management is not focused enough or aligned on engaging employees or creating a fun culture ever since we went remote (weekly motivation emails are nice but there's nothing engaging teams to interact with each other)

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

The people there are the best. Super kind, friendly, and helpful Management has your back Fulfilling work

Cons

Pay is a little low for how much work you do High-performing employees means you can't be slacking!

Continue reading
  3. "Great company for the fast paced and quick learner"

Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

• Company culture is fantastic, you know you matter to the company and are not just a number • Competetive benefits and salary • They've handled the current climate very well

Cons

• Communication can break down sometimes, but the company is always learning from it's mistakes and trying to do better

"Would recommend if you're outgoing and engaged with company values"

Former Employee - Operations Team Lead in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open concept office, great kitchen and food, ability to create/drive your own role

Cons

Operations is very undervalued, not a lot of upward mobility, need to engage socially to fit in

Continue reading
  5. "Good company to work with"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy company to get into to gain experience in accounting field

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Continue reading

"First Sales Job = Best Experience"

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management - extremely supportive leaders who are here to promote healthy learning, celebrate your wins, and help with opportunities. Every idea you share is taken into account and the leaders pay close attention to your feedback - whether positive or constructive. Product and Clients - it is a sales job, but it feels rewarding as I am providing business help to entrepreneurs who are trying to grow their business (the majority of people you speak to are extremely grateful and always have something positive to say about helping them). Colleagues - walking into my first sales job, I always heard about backstabbing and rivalry amongst reps. However, there is only healthy competition and every rep is here to assist you when you need help and always shout you out with you when you are succeeding.

Cons

Everything has been positive so far.

"Great place to launch a long career."

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The extensive onboarding and ongoing training provides really great career development opportunities. Additionally, they are open to transparent feedback and it creates a sense of openness in the teams.

Cons

There are times where the corporate culture is a little in your face. They want everyone on the same page and occasionally it will rub people the wrong way.

Continue reading

"this company offers everything you could want in a start-up"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing people - Fast-paced environment - Continuously improving - Performance focused - Ample opportunities and room for growth - Management is open to feedback - Work from home/work remotely - Flexible hours

Cons

Bench is what you make of it. Reviews can have polar opposite experiences but for the most part, Bench is a fantastic place to work.

"Good job to start"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

job training, working with experienced managers

Cons

low pay, tax season is crazy

"Good for awhile but leadership isn't experienced at all and its not a tech company."

2.0

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make a lot of you put in the hours. Good stepping stone but after awhile you learn everything there is to know. If you're new to sales. Come to Bench because we hire literally anyone and the interviewing process is a piece of cake.

Cons

Leadership is political and inexperienced. They don't know anything except Bench since none of them have worked any other sales jobs before. All the sales reps are better than the team leads and manager at selling. All leadership does is micro manage and they really do very little. Not really a tech company. They like to say they are but they are really just a bookkeeping firm who built a ok software. They never ship new features because there really isn't anything to innovate when it comes to bookkeeping.

Bench Accounting Response

May 21, 2020Senior Sales Manager

Hey - Ada here. First, thank you for all the contributions you’ve made to this company. Glassdoor states you’ve been with Bench for 3 years, and I appreciate all the hard work you must have put into helping our clients, supporting your teammates, and growing Bench. Reading your review, I hear that you recognize that there is high earning potential and that we provide a great opportunity for those starting off in their sales career. I could not agree more. I also hear a story of frustration and disappointment in leadership. I am sorry that this has been your experience. Building and growing a high performing sales team that strives to always be better while also celebrating the successes and contributions of every team member along the way is not easy. And while surfacing data on performance is important, metrics never tell the whole story. Metrics support you in better understanding areas in which you are killing it, and areas to focus on improving, but they should not be the sole focus of 1 on 1s. These coaching sessions should be focused on both your short term and long term development. We can and will do better in this respect. I also see parts of your narrative differently. While we will always prioritize developing talent internally rather than hiring externally, we have specifically hired external sales leadership talent in the past year to broaden the external sales experience at Bench. That said, we will continue to prioritize creating career growth opportunities for strong performers on the team to grow within the Sales organization (and elsewhere at Bench) rather than hire externally for these roles. This is one of the many reasons why I still choose to work here - we care about our people and do everything possible to support their development and help them reach their goals. I also challenge that there “isn’t anything to innovate when it comes to bookkeeping”. We are taking a stand for small business owners who continually struggle to achieve financial mastery. They know and we know that their experience with bookkeeping can always improve to better support them in reaching their financial goals. I’m also very, VERY excited about our soon to be released product expansion - which will provide a game changing combination of financial services for small business owners. As you are a tenured team member who is still with the company, I encourage you to book a time in with me directly to share your feedback. If something isn’t working for you, you have the power to change it and we’re here to help you do it.

Found 164 reviews