Benjamin Moore Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 5, 2020

Found 32 of over 584 reviews

4.0
Benjamin Moore President and COO Dan Calkins
Dan Calkins
Pros
  • "Free Lunch, Team Support, Co-Curricular Activities, Lots of Events(in 106 reviews)

• "Good work/life balance depending on what team you are on/your work, and your manager(in 32 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not sure if upper management understands the hurdles that need to be overcome to execute business plan(in 26 reviews)

• "Leadership and senior management is sneaky and not transparent whatsoever(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Genuinely kind people

Jun 5, 2020 - Training & Development
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I met was really genuinely nice and made time to answer any questions I had. I had a lot of autonomy and I was given many opportunities to be a part of several projects even as an intern. Really great work life balance. Seems like a good place to stay for a while.

Cons

Pretty traditional bureaucratic company; sticks to routine.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great entry level company

Mar 14, 2020 - Product Development Chemist in Flanders, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, great work/life balance, friendly approachable leadership team

Cons

Short staffed, salary/benefits not competitive, Too many leadership changes at once

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Depends on what you are looking for

Oct 13, 2019 - HQ - Manager in Montvale, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Some good changes happening now with new CEO -Free lunch -Nice people -Excellent products and colors to represent - the best on the market -Strong and recognized brand and company heritage -Good time off (around 18-22 days -including holidays- based on how long you have been here) and 5 sick days -Standard benefits package -Reasonable compensation -Good work/life balance depending on what team you are on/your work, and your manager -Berkshire Hathaway company -Company supports independent retailers, mom-and-pop hardware stores across the US

Cons

-A few really smart and driven people, but unfortunately more mediocre talent just here for the paycheck, not engaged or enthusiastic about anything -Outdated HQ, building is a mess -Long commute times / awful traffic (unless you live nearby) -Archaic technology - lack of effective digital tools, both in HQ and in the field -HR dept is sub-par when it comes to growth tracks, performance reviews and goals, employee retention, development, training, and engagement -Growth opps typically only present themselves during re-orgs and restructures, which are unfortunately frequent, but feel chaotic -Lack of role clarity -Bandwidth spread very unevenly across different teams and employees (high performers are buried and working overtime while under-performers are seen socializing every hour by the coffee machine then head for the door at 4:59) -Very inconsistent expectations and responsibilities for role levels across the organization (mgr, sr mgr, director, etc.) -Need improvement when it comes to diversity and women in leadership -High turnover in Mktg dept

13 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's all good

Feb 28, 2019 - Manager in Montvale, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Total work life balance. No big brother checking of you in, flexibility, free lunch, friendly employees, Company really tries to balance and do the right thing for BKH and employees.

Cons

Can seem a bit dysfunctional at times, often contradicting c-suite messages both verbal and what you see, people that don't know how good they have it. If you want a hierarchical career this is not for you.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overall positive but management has room for improvement

Jul 9, 2019 - Warehouse Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, goof benefits and hours

Cons

Lacks consistency and slow to improve.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good people, good values, unlcear priorities and process

Aug 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Theleadership team and company in general support a resonable work life balance, which can be hard to find and I really apprecaite. Management does nto waste time on alaysis laralysis

Cons

The roles and responsibilities between the different parts of the marketing team are very unclear. It is a complex marketing organization and I can appreciate that, but if information and priorities were exchange more openly across roles it would be much easier to understand where my projects fall in relation to company priorities and overall initiatives. There needs to be more sharing of information and more inclusion of the middle managers in the process. Benefits are good. Would be nice to have flexible Fridays at least in the summer. I do admire the company values and I hope there are opporunities to advance my career as I work to acheive goals while showing my committemnt to the values

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Overall Very Positive

Nov 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work, generally good people, work-life balance

Cons

There is little room for growth into a higher-level role

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great at the beginning. As sales dropped, so did morale. I don't think they'll be able to recover even if sales improve

Mar 8, 2013 - Not Management in Montvale, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work/life balance (8 hour work days, no OT.) The people The benefits (prided themselves in having the best benefits of any other company in the area. Note the past tense.) Note: All of the above are no longer present at Benjamin Moore's corporate offices.

Cons

Currently, the inmates are running the asylum. There's no real management and those that are in charge have exactly zero management skills, Everyone is out for #1 (meaning themselves and not the company). If you don't play their political games, you are thrown to the side and ignored. Skills and hard work are not noticed nor rewarded. It's very political. There is no room for growth based on hard work or job skills. They don't take into account employee's career plans when moving people around and they re-organize a lot. If you have no job skills but are more than willing to play political games, this is the place for you!! It's important to note here that I left on my own accord so I'm not a bitter "laid off" employee. (There are a lot of them).

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Things are much better

Jan 7, 2017 - Territory Sales Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Our current leadership is more focused on our customers ( dealers ) and employees than they have been in over a decade and our results are proof. Our programs to support the dealers and their customers are paying dividends for all employees. Marketing plan overall doing well as well. Good work life balance and good balance of newer and longer tenured employees.

Cons

Marketing headed in the right direction but still needs to catch up with the importance the painting contractor plays to the well being of the overall business, our spend should reflect this. Benefits while good were better at one time and should be re-evaluated. Technology still behind though current team addressing after years of deferring investment in this critical area. Long term health of independent channel is a risk at BM.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great People Great Future

Jul 15, 2014 - Procurement in Montvale, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a clearly defined strategy and has worked hard to engage the workforce. The benefits are comparable to other large organizations (although it does take a lot of service to reach the 4th week of vacation). The company places value on work-life balance. The goal is to get your work done - not stay until 7PM every night. There was a shuffle at the top, but they've got it right now. They've also brought in leaders and seasoned professionals from other remarkable organizations to raise the bar in critical functions. it is an exciting place to work right now.

Cons

To a large degree, it seems that career paths are kept within discipline - very few people are promoted to roles outside of their current department. If that department is small, it may take a while to move up.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 32 Reviews