Berkshire Reviews

Found 333 of over 337 reviews

4.7
Berkshire CEO David Olney
David Olney
Pros
  • "We have great benefits, our Senior Leadership is grounded yet forward thinking, we offer excellent training and support teams at all levels(in 30 reviews)

• "Amazing work/life balance and lots of internal growth potential(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With COVID, they have leasing in the office while the upper management gets stay home(in 6 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can sometimes be difficult with some of the responsibilities that fall after-hours(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

First Class Employer- Especially during Covid-19

3 Aug 2020 - Property Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Berkshire has created an environment and a culture that has me never wanting to leave. During the early stage of Covid-19, Berkshire made a point to tell all employees. 1) Take Care of Yourself 2) Take Care of Your Family 3) Work comes 3rd They truly meant that. They immediately offered all employees 80 pandemic hours to use as they seemed fit. If that included sick time due to us contracting Covid-19 or needing to isolate if a family member tested positive, we did not have to worry about using our personal PTO or wondering if we would get paid. We could use it if we needed to take off for child care. They also allowed a flexible schedule to rotate schedules and work from home to make sure our offices allowed for proper social distancing. This helped empower myself and my employees knowing that our safety came first. This alone makes me want to work harder for Berkshire and give them my all. We also are in the middle of the BLM movement. Our senior leadership opened up a town hall forum for open discussion and to discuss what we as a company can do to support BLM. It also opened up a safe platform for many employees to discuss how they felt during such a time of uncertainty and it was a beautiful moment and really moved me. I can't say how much I appreciate a CEO that opens up a forum like that for employees to truly express how they are feeling in today's climate. When we are not in the middle of a pandemic, Berkshire continues to shine. Pay is much higher than other companies in my area, outstanding bonus structures, and senior leadership that makes you feel like a team and makes you feel like you impact the success of this company directly.

Cons

There are no cons to working for this company.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Best Company I've Ever Worked With

17 May 2021 - Property Manager in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k Match Great Pay Recognition for Hard Work Berkshire also stepped up greatly when COVID-19 hit. They automatically added 80 hours of pandemic PTO for all employees and stressed the importance of taking care of ourselves, our family and then the business. Berkshire's culture is amazing and makes it easy to say I work WITH this company, not for them. I have one of the best Regional Managers--I'm able to be flexible with my schedule when personal items come up, she fosters an independent working environment where I can make decisions without her (pending policy allows) but at the same time, will be there for me if I really need her. She is the most caring boss I have ever had and supports me when I need it, but encourages my growth by getting me out of my comfort zone and making executive decisions.

Cons

Upper management creates budgets that don't always translate to the reality of on-site operations--they're still functional, but definitely takes some creativity and extra work to meet sometimes. (They do pay out quarterly bonuses at year end if you meet budget at EOY, even if you didn't meet it in the quarter though)

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic Work Environment

12 May 2021 - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, 401k match with vesting, vacation time (3 weeks plus sick)

Cons

Bonus structure isn't always explained well, communicated on payout dates or how to achieve these goals. Budgets are written by leadership and handed down to managers without a good understanding of property operations or the ability to learn it. Regional leadership does not visit properties to assist with issues, trainings, or check ins to ensure overall employee satisfaction. Often we received OOO for hair appoints, regional uploading on social media during work hours and not returning calls. As a manager, we were also put in awkward positions when regional leadership would release employee data regarding tax withholdings or rent payments too us to manage, even though that should have been communicated directly with Human Resources. There was definitely a favoritism game played that created a toxic work environment.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Berkshire- a great place to work!

16 Jun 2021 - Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful team and company with a long track record of success!

Cons

Would love to see more diversity at the senior level

5. 5.0

Sustaining an Amazing Culture

3 Jun 2021 - Regional Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

A forever home where every team member across the country is cared for, listened to, and valued versus being a number. This is the most amazing culture I have every witnessed in the industry (20-year veteran) and it has been sustained throughout portfolio reduction and immense growth over the past fifty years.

Cons

Change management will be tested as new products/systems are constantly sought after in order to maintain a top position in our markets.

6. 4.0

Best Property Management Company - Just needs to grow

12 Mar 2021 - Property Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Berkshire is one of the best property management companies I've worked with thus far. They have great benefits. Great leadership. A beautiful company culture. They really are employee focused without losing sight of the business. The properties are decent - it's a nice mix of assets. Not to mention, they are heavily focused on diversity and inclusion. They are doing the work which is more than what some companies are doing. They have also handled Covid well with all of the changes and keeping employees safe. They also really promote work/life balance. It can be hard to maintain depending on your property but they push for you to achieve some sort of balance.

Cons

Not too may cons. I think the biggest con is their growth and advancement opportunities. They really need to expand their footprint and purchase more properties. Right now, it makes advancement opportunities seem challenging which is really the only reason that would make me want to leave the company. Also, they can be a little old fashioned with their practices but they are slowly becoming more current with the times.

7. 5.0

Amazing culture!

11 Mar 2021 - Regional Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Berkshire has an amazing culture - very professional and client oriented but keeps the sense of family and all team members from the site team to the highest levels of leadership. Everyone at Berkshire could be described as down to earth, caring of one another and those we serve and there is no sense of one person being "better than" another. Everyone can be transparent and heard.

Cons

In the past I would have commented that because Berkshire is great about hearing all voices, that could sometimes result in something being slow to be implemented or changed but I can honestly say that this has improved greatly over the past year or two.

8. 3.0

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill- Terrible to work for

16 May 2021 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Berkshire is honestly a good company. The pay is decent and the training department is ok.

Cons

Working for the triangle is very stressful and the regional is terrible. She chooses favorites and rewards people who do no work at all. I’m considering leaving because working for this regional is stressful, depressing and she creates an unhealthy work environment. I honestly like Berkshire as a company but I can’t continue to work for a company that ignore constant complaints about the regional and does nothing about it.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company to work for!

23 Mar 2021 - Assistant Property Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Berkshire is a great company to work for! They really put their employees first especially during this pandemic. You can really tell that Berkshire cares about their employees and understands that yourself and your family come first. They also have great benefits, PTO plans and many tools to help you succeed and prepare you for the next step, if you choose.

Cons

I cannot really think of any cons, if any it would be growth. There are positions that open up around the US however I was hoping there would be more acquisitions acquired in the last 2 years. However I do know these things take time and COIVD probably doesn't help, so I wouldn't necessarily call this a con towards Berkshire. Things will come in time!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love what I do

18 May 2021 - Property Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly, this has been the best management company I've worked for. Great benefits, great environment, and great resources.

Cons

Things became too political over the past 15 months.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 333 Reviews