BlackRock Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 26 Jul 2020

3.9
BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink
1,540 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "you need to know how to have a good work/life balance(in 197 reviews)

• "Long hours, but flexible with holiday schedule(in 159 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"Not a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Larry (CEO) and other members of the senior management are fantastic to listen to. They are interesting and inspiring, and keep me going, which is something I will miss when I leave. Great leadership. Great culture from the top and great drive for excellent people management, it's a shame that it doesn't always permeate to the lower echelons of the company and opposing sub-cultures have formed in certain areas, which are backwards and regressive.

Cons

Long hours. They have something called Flexible Time Off rather than statuatory holidays, and you don't always get enough or same amount of time off as you might in other places. Burning out is a risk. No career opportunities, especially now that there's no internal mobility. The area I am in is very clichey, which can hinder any opportunity or recognition if you are not considered one of them. Under-performing teams and people are not dealt with and given the appropriate training or development. They become a real burden, which increases the workload, hence longer hours. It's not enjoyable having to compensate for them constantly. My experience in BlackRock Finance has so far been poor. I was not treated well, especially for the first 18 months. It become marginally better when I started looking for other roles internally, i.e. a bad employer is like a bad boyfriend, he only starts paying attention to you when you start leave. However I do believe that it is localised to this area and I know other teams are good to work in.

Continue reading

"Great colleagues but horrendous hours"

2.0
    Former Employee - Vice President FP&A in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

super friendly and smart colleagues

Cons

high stress environment and very long hours

"Stay away from the Aladdin Business if you want to end up elsewhere within the firm"

2.0
    Former Employee - Aladdin Client Services Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Brand name -Large analyst class will make it feel like you are part of a broader group -If you fall in love with an obscure area you might be able to pursue that

Cons

-The job is a call center which is not how it is explained during recruitment -There is a promise of internal mobility but the Aladdin business will work diligently to make sure you stay in the Aladdin business and do not leave for another area of the firm. They will move you to areas you are not interested in because they have headcount #s to hit, rather than where you might be most interested. -Long hours similar to individuals in other areas of finance but with lower pay and more limited career opportunites unless you leave

4. "Great"

5.0
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support great work place

Cons

Long hours, but flexible with holiday schedule

5. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunities Good working environment Best facilities provided for comfort of employees

Cons

Managers in gurgaon office are quite unprofessional and have no technical/business knowledge of the work done in the team they manage. Long working hours and shift timings are odd

6. "Sales Associate,"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

good experience, interesting coworkers, industry knowledge gained

Cons

long hours, high-stress work environment

August 5, 2020HR Communication Officer

Good experience, interesting colleagues and opportunity to learn more - that sounds like a great place to work. While we’re glad to hear that you’re having a positive experience at BlackRock, we suggest that you take advantage of our benefits offerings that are meant to enhance your mental and emotional well-being. For example, the Flexible Time Off policy which allows you take as many days as you need to relax and recharge. Thanks for sharing your input!

7. "highly recommended"

5.0
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time for more than a year

Pros

great pay and great benefits; good vacation policy

Cons

long hours but they go by fast

August 5, 2020HR Communication Officer

Thank you for your review. We’re happy to hear that you’re having a positive experience working at BlackRock. If you find yourself working long hours, don’t forget to relax and recharge with Flexible Time Off!

"Ok"

1.0
    Current Employee - Secretary in London, England

I have been working at BlackRock part-time

Pros

Ok benefits long holidays

Cons

Long hours No recognition from people

August 5, 2020HR Communication Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you’re working long hours, we encourage you to take advantage of the various benefits we offer that are meant to help you relax and recharge, like the Flexible Time Off policy. We also encourage you to speak with your manager about this to find a way to better balance work life and home life.

9. "analyst at BlackRock"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time

Pros

great platform with lots of learning resources for investment opportunities

Cons

highly competitive, long hours, have to navigate yourself

May 25, 2020HR Communication Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to share your input. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying the learning opportunities at BlackRock. If you’re working long hours, we encourage you to take time to relax and recharge through our Flexible Time Off benefit. We also encourage you to speak to your manager or Human Resources if you have concerns about navigating the firm and career development opportunities.

10. "Good place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at BlackRock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work. No differentiation in employee treatment as per designation

Cons

Low growth and long working hours

April 14, 2020Analyst, Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’re delighted to hear that you found BlackRock as a good place to work. We strive to foster an inclusive environment and treat all employees equally regardless of titles. We’re sorry to hear that you found it difficult to grow at BlackRock. We encourage all employees to be “students of the markets” and to utilize the various resources that we have for continual career development – online courses, employee networks, etc. Additionally, we offer various benefits that are designed to enhance employees’ overall well-being. We encourage employees to use our Flexible Time Off policy if they need time to reset and recharge. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and appreciate your input.

Found 158 reviews