Blackboard Employee Reviews about "flexible work"

Updated 18 Mar 2020

3.7
Blackboard CEO Bill Ballhaus
Bill Ballhaus
Pros
  • "I had a great work/life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "The work life balance cannot be beat, most departments offer very flexible work situations(in 36 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "flexible work"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Flexible with Great Culture"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bogotá, Bogota
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice culture, flexible work from home, no micromanagement, stress free

Cons

high turnover rate, some cons of working with a remote team

March 20, 2020Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear you're enjoying the benefits, work from home options, and culture of our Bogota office. We understand that working remotely and adapting to a growing and changing team can occasionally be a challenge, but we're glad to hear that you're remaining stress free through it. If you have any other ideas on how we can improve, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

2. "Easy Work"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Management, flexible work hours.

Cons

There are no Cons to this job.

June 20, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are so happy to hear you've had an enjoyable experience while at Blackboard. If there is anything we can do to make it even better, please reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

3. "Excited to be on the Bb team during this thrilling time!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great company with an exciting mission, wicked smart people focused on teamwork, and a flexible work culture!

Cons

If you do not enjoy a fast pace, ever evolving environment that is iterating along the way, this may not be the company for you.

June 20, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you've had such a good experience with Blackboard. We continually do our best to keep the communication flowing as it helps to keep us a fast-paced, evolving company, and we are so glad you see that. If you have any further feedback, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Solid place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Blackboard is an organization that has constant change. Some may see this as a detriment, but I find a great deal of opportunity in it. You are constantly sharpening your skills and being pushed out of your comfort zone. In addition, first-line supervisors care a great deal about your professional goals. I see so many individuals in different departments being promoted or publicly recognized for their efforts. Sure, we run SUPER lean, but you can feel the appreciation most times from senior leadership. Also, depending on the team, you are given fairly flexible work from home option.

Cons

This move to Reston is one that may be challenging and result in loss of talent. In addition, the organization is not as transparent as employees deserve. No place is perfect and we are a work in progress. What I can say is we're much better now than we were this time last year. In addition, while we are given option to work from home, the work can sometimes have you working later into the evening. With that said, you aren't negatively looked at if you need to leave early for personal reasons. There is some sort of balance there.

June 24, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. We completely agree that while change can be tough at times, it can also present opportunities to grow and improve, especially when managers are pushing for you to reach your goals. Moving our HQ to Reston is a big change, but we are hoping it is one that brings about an even better culture with a higher focus on collaboration. We are glad that you're seeing the changes we've made propelling us in the right direction. If you have any further ideas on how we can improve transparency, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

5. "Good company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Not a typical IT firm, flexible work hours and free lunch

Cons

management could be little transparent

6. "Positive Change for Continued, Long Lasting Success"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll be working with passionate people who are serious about creating a positive impact on education. People come here with a diverse set of backgrounds that work together for a common goal. People here are happy and engaged. I look forward to working with the people I interact with every day. The company has changed over the past few years but all were positive steps to become a successful business that is simplified and more focused. The work life balance cannot be beat, most departments offer very flexible work situations. This is the place to be if you're ready to get serious about making a difference in education with a company that is poised for long term success.

Cons

The rapid change can be daunting but talk to the managers about what the changes mean and why they happened, and it all makes sense. The office move to Reston from DC was not my favorite decision. I'd rather be in DC but with a flexible WFH schedule, I'll make it work. Currently a lack of open or available headcount means we are running a bit too lean for my taste. I do sometimes worry about the lack of resources getting in the way of our success and the performance I have commited to.

April 29, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We're so happy to hear that you look forward to interacting with your colleagues every day, and that you see the changes we have made as a company translating into a more successful, simplified business. We understand that a lot of change can be tough, but it is pointing us in the right direction as a company, which we hope makes it less daunting. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

7. "Pay did no meet performance"

Former Employee - Ops Supervisor in Greenville, SC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work/life balance. Management that would listen. Decent continued training. Provided me room to advance and grow.

Cons

Inability to hold onto attract/great talent due to salary offerings. A few process inefficiency problems when it came to supporting the teams that take the support calls each day.

March 29, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We agree that we have a flexible work/life balance here and are happy to hear that you were pleased with your training and opportunities for advancement. We are sorry you did not feel that your salary was competitive. We do our best to be competitive in the market and couple that with a flexible work schedule. If you have any suggestions on how we can be better, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

8. "Training Specialist"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, benefits, and flexible work environment.

Cons

Low number of paid time off days.

July 16, 2018Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased to hear that you were happy with the culture, benefits and our flexible work environment. We also believe those are great aspects of working here. We believe that our benefits package, including PTO, is competitive. We are sorry that you felt differently, if have any other suggestions on how we can improve please feel free to email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

9. "Good people, kind of a Xerox vibe"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, good cultural, flexible work life balance

Cons

Very boring and outdated tech

July 16, 2018Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate your review. It is wonderful to hear that your coworkers, our culture, and our flexible work hours contributed to your positive experience here at Blackboard. We strive for innovation to ensure that our applications remain industry-leading, and never boring or outdated. If you have any advice on how we can better achieve this, please reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Flexible but Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

* Really smart and dedicated people to work with. * If you're passionate about education, this is a good place to be. * Flexible work environment . Reasonable hours, ability to work from home, many remote employees. * Lots of opportunity to grow laterally and move between different parts of the organization. Good for learning new skills. * Generally fun casual environment to work in.

Cons

* Past years saw lots of churn among executive team. That led to constantly changing direction. Current CEO is trying to put company on a better path. * Vertical advancement (promotion within a team) is harder than lateral job changes * Compelling strategy but not great at execution. * Blackboard acquires a lot of companies and doesn't do a great job integrating them. This can cause culture conflicts. * Market perception isn't great, mostly stemming from patent battles 10+ years ago.

December 7, 2017Sr. Dir, Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We agree that we have a pretty stellar team here, full of people passionate about improving education. We think our current leadership team is on the right track to steer us towards successfully executing our compelling strategy. If you have any further thoughts or advice, we’d love to hear them. Please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

Found 36 reviews