Blackboard Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 6 Nov 2019

3.7
Blackboard CEO Bill Ballhaus
Bill Ballhaus
Pros
  • "I had a great work/life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "The work life balance cannot be beat, most departments offer very flexible work situations(in 36 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Management causes call centers to have revolving doors."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The group of individuals that made up my team were great. Valuable skills and program handling assisted in boosting my resume to find a better job.

Cons

Upper management were does not take care of their employees. They do not advocate for the employees. I can’t say that the only care about the client because at times the client is as lied on to make it seem like they’re the ones making the employees feel like they are in a sweat shop. The clients are not always informed that the employees that work for them remotely are not dedicated to just their business but several other clients as well. Your days off are provided as hours to in a bucket system only after you’ve been there a year. The amount provided is only able to cover about 14 days paid for the year. You do not get paid for holidays unless you’ve worked there for 3 years. Working holidays is competitive and more tenured reps get first dibs. You are not allotted any sick days and must either use your bucketed paid or unpaid time off. (If you Have any)

November 11, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review. We are glad to hear you got along so well with your coworkers and felt you learned a lot of valuable skills to help your career. We understand team members may feel overworked and underappreciated at times, especially during high volume call periods. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your management. We do our best to equip managers to be the best leaders they can be through professional development, but if you have any specific suggestions on how we can improve, please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Anyone can do better than this job"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Somerset, KY

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My co workers were awesome. This is as far as any pro goes with the job.

Cons

This used to be a good place to work. So here goes nothing. It's now story time. It's a long story of a company with a few ups and a lot of downs. I have been in and out the doors at this company a lot and seen good and bad. I have done just about every job there in some capacity except run it's operations. I left after a good bit of tenure and decided to return for one more go round. What I returned to seemed to be a lot of positivity and a good direction. But just like with any trap, it was in fact misdirection. The first few months back were ok for the most part. Moved to night shift on a decent schedule.. Honestly didn't care for the client or subject matter. Financial aid is awful to deal with in any capacity. But being horribly trained to handle it makes it worse. So lets get to the first con, Training... When I returned the training was short and only half of what was needed to do the job. This is because during rush this company needs anything with a pulse and a voice to fill seats and use a phone so they get paid. They will finish your training but only if they see fit and don't send you back out a revolving door. Every season they hire and fire. I have watched it for years. Honestly I don't know why people return. Maybe it's because they don't drug test and run a half hearted background check and pay 11.00 an hour. Literally anyone can work here and it shows. Felons in management, "favors and favorites", a real who's who of people you wouldn't want in a seat making you money. Which brings me to my next point. Mismanagement. You are force fed the impression that management actually cares. Honestly there are a few that do and try to help, listen and make changes. But the corporate backwash and people who should listen absolutely do not care what you have to say. They smile, nod and act like it. Pat you on the back, then shrug you off to get a bonus. You are not important to these people. You are a number. You are easily replaced by the next direlect or drug addict they can hire. Rinse and repeat Policies: This is a sore spot and has been as of late. How policies change to suit the company but are sold as good things that "level the playing field" so to speak or so I have been told by management. Here is where I agree to disagree. Lets talk about one such policy. I shouldn't have to because it's literally smeared in some of the rest of these reviews. Actually I want to because I feel it needs repeated. The new attendence policy was released as a pilot program months ago. This was promised to go away if there were problems or if it didn't seem to work. Well heres where broken promises and mismanagement and lackluster employee treatment come into play. We complained multiple times. We spoke with management, voiced our collective concearns and no one listened. They did a good job acting like it. But ultimately failed us. Lets dig into this policy.. the first Iteration was awful. It gave you a bank of 60 unpaid hours you could use literally any time to call in if you were new and 120 hours if you were there a year. 40 of those were paid. Keep in mind that these were to budget for the whole year. Now in context to this approved days off by the company still counted against this bank. So essentially anything you did, be it a call in or approved off still punished you by penalizing this bank. The original policy included jury duty, bereavement, and military leave in this. Which was highly illegal. This was fixed. However to get 4 hours back you wouldve had to get 3 months perfect attendence. There were small tweaks. The illegal stuff was fixed and the perfect attendence rule changed to 2 months perfect attendence to get 8 hrs back. What this company fails to tell you is that in "leveling the field" to be the "industry standard" no other call center in this county does this type of policy. They try to say this is good for the employee. It gives them control.. It does. But only to a point. See this policy makes you use your PTO first. Then pulls the unpaid hours. Now after these are exhausted you get 3 more chances. Verbal, written, final warnings. Then termination. Situations where this policy is a problem. If you have a growing family for example with more kids than one. One is in sports, the other one cheers. That is a lot of games and events. Probably more than 120 hours will allow. So then you get to choose between children when you are almost out of hours just so another customer can call and corporate can be paid. You have to choose between family and work. Anyone with common sense and family values is going to choose thier children.. Another example. Say you get hired. After 60 days you find out you have cancer and need treatment. You are still a seasonal employee. You only have 60 bank hours to go to treatment. Cant get FMLA or LOA. This policy literally makes you choose between your treatments and thier profit. Your life is literally held hostage here. When you are gravely ill. You don't and shouldn't have to make the choice between losing your job or your health worsening. The state average of hours an employee needs with a family and life events is around 250. Pray you dont have kids or illnesses or emergencies in life that require more than 120 hours. Blackboard needs that next phonecall so someone can buy a home or yacht or get a bonus who's in a corporate position. So in short this is what the company seems to want. Seasonal employees who have no life obligations and live at home. Maybe age ranges 18 to 20 that can easily be pushed in and out the revolving door. This lets the company save money using this policy. Hopefully they figure out soon that everyone in the county has worked there. And some actually required the flexibility the company used to have that made life easier for them. They will lose a lot of good employees and no one will be left to fill seats to make money for them. No one will come back to help with rush. Next we come to incentives. Literally there are none. They offer raises and bonuses but set the bar so impossibly high the agent can never get them. But they do offer occasional cold pizza and peanut butter sandwiches. And Ice Cream and toy prizes. Because we can all pay our bills with those. Can't we? Insurance offered is heinously substandard and over priced. Technology is obsolete and causes issues when trying to work. Management is wishy washy and says they have your back. In reality they do not. A few mean well but cant be better because upper management wont let them. Quality plays favorites and witch hunts agents based on favoritism in some departments. 11.00 an hour isnt much of a reason to stay when you have to deal with the stress. Upward movement is a joke. And sometimes paychecks are over 3 days late. Usually around a holiday. Sometimes 3 times a year. Employee morale is at an all time low because of this treatment. It has sent anyone with any sense looking for a real job which is ran by compitent fair people and not a sad half drawn cartoon character of a job. Dreading going to work because of this type of thing does nothing for the employee. I used to feel like what I did mattered as did a lot of good people. Now it seems no one cares when that phone rings about anyones issue that calls for assistance. Most just go through the motions for a check. In reality they all feel that the current problems and stress the company dumped on them is more pressing than any technical issue a caller may have. So to break this down, avoid it. You can do better. Anyone in this county can. Pass on this job. I shouldn't have went back. I made a mistake trusting my life to people who cannot run a company.

March 29, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your coworkers during your time with us. We are sorry you did not have a more positive experience while at Blackboard. We do not feel this is indicative of the typical experience here. Please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com with any further concerns.

"Avoid it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Somerset, KY

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing really. There was a few cool people working there that you could have intelligent conversations with.

Cons

There were so many. Lack of upward movement. Promotions biased on who (not what) you know. Ever changing policies. I didn't even work nights and the dissatisfaction for the attendance policy pilot program is smeared everywhere. People on my shift quit just from hearing about it. It's pretty unfair from the way it was described prior to my exit. I hope they kill the idea. The old system works fine. If scheduling had more accountability it would still be working. Morale on all shifts is low. Some days 11.00 an hour isnt enough to put up with the callers or QA cherrypicking calls based on who they like. Unprofessionalism and drugs are a thing. Even upper management on site os involved. Raise policies change to suit business need. No stability. They have hired and furloughed or fired so much everyone in the county has worked there. Overpriced on site store Overpriced insurance Constant email fights to get anything fixed or approved

September 25, 2018Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us your honest review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed spending time with your coworkers. In regards to our attendance policy pilot, it is to allow our employees to self-manage their time off and not to penalize them. We have several teams, both on the overnight and day shift, that are participating in this pilot and we plan to evaluate in October on how we move forward. That could be to cancel the pilot or to make additional positive changes that we think will benefit our employees even more. Additionally, Blackboard’s Drug & Alcohol policy is zero tolerance and we always take appropriate steps to address concerns that are reported in a timely manner. If you have any other suggestions on how we can improve employee morale, please reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Good people but company has no direction"

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Most of the people outside of Sr Management are really good people who care about improving education and helping the customers.

Cons

Poor upper management. They have no focus for the company besides making sure the private equity firm that owns the company is happy. Decisions aren't made because of what's best for customers, best for employees, best for the product lines, or best for education as a whole. Decisions are made based on what will earn a buck today and to hell with the consequences tomorrow. This led to many employees being laid off (many of them not exactly expendable), more employees leaving voluntarily, and even clients fleeing for competing products. And senior management seems to walk around in a daze wondering what happened.

July 24, 2017Sr. Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We agree that our company is filled with great people, who place a tremendous emphasis on improving education. In the past few years we have undergone change in upper management, which can sometimes cause a period of instability; however, we now have a very strong leadership team, that is truly focused on our mission and successfully guiding us in that direction. If you have any other thoughts on this, please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Blackboard's pay is decent in a lot of areas, but you have to fight for it. Flexible work arrangements are fantastic Most of the people are very nice and some work incredibly hard to support the org and your success

Cons

Blackboard's work environment is toxic. Promotions happen with little attention to an individual's ability to perform. Draining, high maintenance, do-little employees thrive and good people are continually jumping ship Work is 24/7. No boundaries or respect for work/life balance. This is said about a lot of employers, but at Blackboard it is basically the unspoken corporate policy that you are always working-- nights, weekends, holidays. If you have a family, good luck ever spending time with them. There is a lot of fear in upper management of losing their jobs if any issues or concerns bubble up from below them. This leads to issues/concerns getting suppressed until they eventually build and build and employees flee or become unmotivated. This also leads to "yes men" getting promoted and basically being the face of each department, which is never a good thing. Everyone is so overworked and fatigued that it is nearly impossible to collaborate with other departments or business units to solve problems or even get answers to simple questions that may arise. Nepotism is a huge issue. Lots of new faces at Bb in the past few years who have created positions for friends from previous jobs, oftentimes these people are completely unqualified for the positions they are being put in. Again, forcing good people out.

July 24, 2017Sr. Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate the review. We agree that we have incredibly hard-working, talented people on our team and are happy to provide flexible working arrangements and great pay for them. We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the work environment. We always try to provide a great work/life balance with flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home, as well as PTO and paid holidays. Furthermore, we are sorry that you had difficulties with upper management. We encourage all managers to listen to and report concerns from their reports. If you have any other feedback regarding management, please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Watch out for the Lay Offs"

4.0

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Working remotely and the travel was great. I had a great Director who really cared about your well being and work/life balance

Cons

Upper management changed every 6 months. You had to be nimble to change your job often because of their ineffectiveness. Lay offs happen often.

"Optimistic At First"

Proposal Coordinator/Writer

I worked at Blackboard

Pros

Some co workers are great, efficient and reliable.

Cons

Major nepotism with upper management. Good managers are hired to be replaced with people with no RFP experience. Hiring employees that don't have good backgrounds and do little to no work. When an employee doesn't like their job if the manager likes them they move them to some other title but nobody knows their job description. That work gets put on you when those employees complain. NO upward mobility. Never get pay increases and asking for small raises are denied. Listen to Sales and not the team doing the actual work.

8. "Awesome company"

4.0
    Former Freelancer - Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Blackboard for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, good work life balance. Opportunity to learn and grow. Virtual teams work well.

Cons

Upper management direction change very frequently.cross department communication collaboration not too good.

"Nothing to write home about"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, KY

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Blackboard as whole isn't all that bad. The pay is decent, benefits are ok, and the atmosphere is pretty laid back.

Cons

Benefits are expensive (decent coverage), pay changes every 3 months either forward or backward. I guess the biggest problem is that in order to get promoted you have to be buddies with upper management, which is fine if you can find the person. So its hard to be buddies. It seems like farming is more important than work.....

October 31, 2017Sr. Director, HR Consulting

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to be an excellent place to work, and we are pleased that you had a positive experience during your time at Blackboard. Blackboard is always evaluating our benefits offerings, as well as our compensation process. We consistently evaluate the best ways to compensate and retain our employees. As for promotions, we offer various mentor programs to our employees and encourage everyone to take advantage of them. If you have any additional ideas on how we can improve, feel free to reach out: employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Mixed review"

in Washington, DC

I worked at Blackboard for more than 8 years

Pros

Great to work with, and learn from, very knowledgeable professionals. Many very smart people. Appreciated the flex time and ability to work from home.

Cons

I came to Blackboard through one of its many acquisitions and feel that employees from acquisitions were not respected by Blackboard middle management (can't speak to upper management) -- our abilities and contributions were not as valued as those of Blackboard Learn employees.

Found 20 reviews