Blackboard Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 14 Jul 2020

3.7
Blackboard CEO Bill Ballhaus
Bill Ballhaus
Pros
  • "I had a great work/life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "The work life balance cannot be beat, most departments offer very flexible work situations(in 36 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Not the innovative company it claims to be when it comes to HR."

1.0

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel perks, mostly very smart & inspiring colleagues.

Cons

A lot of change means uncertainty and instability - you never know who's going to let go next or whether a role will be changed to 'not needed' when actually it means others will suffer because of it. Exceptionally bureaucratic, amount of work and processes to get basic things done is ridiculous. Some teams seem to function very well and have great dynamics, others are a complete mess - mine being one of them. Work/life balance does not exist - I work insane hours, weekends, late nights and am rarely thanked or appreciated. Sales is king here - all other departments just considered accessories. It's a shame really. Bb likes to be seen as innovative but in terms of HR is quite the opposite.

2. "Software QA"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer

I worked at Blackboard full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits

Cons

frequent management changes, no stability

August 5, 2020Sr Employer Branding and Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We agree that we prioritize work-life balance, especially in these trying times. We understand that change can be tough. Blackboard has been on a journey to align our resources to ensure that we are positioned to become a thriving company. That means making adjustments and aligning our resources to focus on the most critical initiatives. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

3. "Great working experience"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Brno

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting and appealing area of business. By its size it fulfills a corporation definition, but it doesn't act like one. The working environment is very pleasant with great work/life balance. Nice office in the middle of the city without open space (may be a con for someone). Opportunities to travel. Lots of different benefits.

Cons

The career progression, at least in a team where I was, is not so straight forward. Single teams/products work in silos and don't share too much knowledge and resources between each other.

4. "Excellent Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Somerset, KY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Career opportunities - Solid benefits package - Great co-workers - Competitive pay

Cons

- Challenging work/life balance at times

August 5, 2020Sr Employer Branding and Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We agree that we have a great team and we are happy to offer career advancement opportunities, a solid benefits package, and competitive pay. We understand that work-life balancing can be challenging at times, especially now as the lines between work and home have blurred, but we do our best to encourage employees to take time to rest and recharge. If you have any other suggestions, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

"Amazing people, too much work, outdated tech"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Bogotá, Bogota
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing and brilliant people, nice office, nice perks

Cons

Work-life balance inexistent, they use technologies updated for today's options out there. they didn't value nor care about how much effort you put into something, they only care about you raw results, which is fine if you are looking productivity in an organization, but leaves you feeling like a mere tool.

"A company devoid of values..."

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work -Life Balance The people, except management Gorgeous new workspace in Reston

Cons

Old Technology Lack of Communication Backwards Thinking Management Sexism/Racism Incompetent Management No room for growth Benefits.. sporadic 401k match, no tuition reimbursement, no training budget Executive and Senior Level Management Leadership/Visibility is non-exsistent

June 4, 2020Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review. While we do not feel this is indicative of the typical employee experience here at Blackboard, we are concerned with the content of your review and ask that you contact our HR team directly. Blackboard is deeply committed to fostering a culture that values diversity and treats every employee with respect. Please consult our employee portal, Bb Central, for your Human Resources point of contact or for general help lines. These contacts can assist regarding any behavior inconsistent with our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, or you may choose to utilize our ethics hotline. We are sorry you are not experiencing all that Blackboard has to offer. Many of our open positions are internally filled with employees experiencing professional development through advancement or movement into another role. Employees have access to online learning curriculum and customized development tracks and are supported for continuing education and training by their department. Our formal performance management system is used by employees and managers to set annual goals, develop career paths, and evaluate performance. Many of our reviews mention Blackboard’s competitive benefits package and generous PTO. Our 401k plan match, while discretionary, has been made consistently on an annual basis. In addition to the internal contacts noted above, you may also reach out directly to employerfeedback@blackboard.com with further comments or concerns.

7. "Amazing people and many opportunities"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Bogotá, Bogota

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance Amazing colleagues Facilities are great Opportunity to grow

Cons

I don't have many cons for now

March 20, 2020Sr Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate you leaving us a review. We're so happy to hear that you're enjoying your colleagues, work/life balance, and opportunities for professional development. If you have any other feedback for us, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

8. "Working with a passionate group that cares"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Everyone is collaborative, willing to help a colleague and customer out, good work / life balance.

Cons

Industry is moving quickly.

November 11, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We agree that Blackboard fosters a very collaborative environment and we are proud to offer such a competitive work/life balance. We also agree that the education industry is moving quickly, but we think our vision of providing a connected experience that offers relevant insights and works flexibly within our clients’ ecosystems, will help us stay ahead of the pack. If you have any other feedback, please email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

9. "Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Billing Operation Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blackboard full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a great work/life balance

Cons

No cons at this time.

October 9, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are so happy to hear you had a positive experience while working with us. If you find you have any suggestions, please feel free to email employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

10. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Blackboard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WFH friendly, good work life balance

Cons

Disorganized at times, company facing growth pressures from competitors

September 23, 2019Sr Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you are able to take advantage of our competitive work-life balance, as we feel it is important for employees to focus on their lives outside of the workplace. It can feel disorganized at times as we have gone through a lot of change recently. However, we are working on being proactive rather than reactive, improving communication and operating as one unified company rather than separate teams. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve, please feel free to reach out to employerfeedback@blackboard.com.

Found 77 reviews