Blue J Legal Reviews

Updated 19 Jun 2020

4.9
Blue J Legal CEO Benjamin Alarie (no image)
Benjamin Alarie
  1. "Best working environment"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Blue J Legal full-time

Pros

To enjoy your job is not only to love your profession and your role. But it is also to love your working space and environment. Fun, vibrant, and friendly coworkers is what makes up Blue J Legal.

Cons

Location was a stretch because of travel.

2. "Great people, great company culture!"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about Blue J are the people; it's amazing getting to work with such a passionate and intelligent group, where everyone understands the drive to learn and has strong ambitions. The developers in particular are all such great mentors, very willing to guide and teach and work collaboratively, constantly looking for ways to improve workflow processes.

Cons

Going through some growing pains as they increase in size and struggle to keep company culture as strong as it is at the moment. So long as they take their company values to heart and listen to employee feedback, I'm sure they'll get through it and come out the other side strong!

3. "Incredible Culture!"

Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for less than a year

Pros

- company values encourage growth and learning - fun and friendly environment - employees are passionate and goal oriented - good work-life balance - at the forefront of legal tech innovation

Cons

- compensation could be better

4. "Best company culture I have ever seen!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent company culture filled with friendly, smart, and helpful individuals. The sales team strongly values the team and isn’t hyper competitive - which is so rare in the industry.

Cons

Could improve their training process to make it more formalized. Also could make the salaries more competitive - although this is hard as a startup and this is improving.

5. "Great Place to Build a Career"

Current Employee - Legal Research Analyst

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, work/life balance, and purpose with the work

Cons

New organization so some of the processes are still being ironed out

6. "Culture is Key"

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing group of people to work with, close walking distance to union. The workday is never boring and there are opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Pay isn't overly competitive, it could be better.

7. "Wonderful Culture"

I have been working at Blue J Legal

Pros

The people make the company. Everyone is welcoming and intelligent and motivated. It’s a great place to come to work everyday and I’m grateful to have met so many wonderful individuals. The work is rewarding and challenging. You have the opportunity to create new things and share your ideas.

Cons

Being a startup the salary and benefits aren’t that competitive.

Continue reading

"Poor leadership and middle management is deteriorating the company"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for more than a year

Pros

- relaxed environment - amazingly kind and engaged colleagues - lots of company activities

Cons

- normalized lying - management which does not listen nor acknowledge root problems - disrespectful communication habits - reactive, versus proactive, decision making and strategy - culture of blaming versus collaboration

Blue J Legal Response

December 16, 2019CEO

Naturally, we are open to hearing about the good (to build upon) and the bad (to address and remedy). Getting negative feedback is the best way to improve. We promote a culture of transparency and openness. It's unclear what specific examples you had in mind as you authored this review. Can you please surface what specifically is the problem in the next anonymous survey so that it's more concrete and we can address this? Thank you.

9. "Best decision I ever made"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very unique & positive atmosphere. The product is fantastic, and you are surrounded by amazing and intelligent co-workers. There are lots of growth opportunities and management prefers to promote from within the organization.

Cons

None, but you have to know how to work in a fast paced environment

10. "Where tech meets talent"

Current Employee - Legal Research Associate

I have been working at Blue J Legal full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in a number of environments and the people are by far, the company's greatest assets. It's refreshing to work a group of committed, highly intelligent, yet playful individuals all across the company. The Legal Research Team is also very well run and staffed well with talented analysts and other associates. I really appreciate the degree of flexibility and creativity I can exercise in my role to build new tools. It's also possibly the only job I've looked forward to coming into work for every day.

Cons

Blue J Legal faces the same challenges that would be true of any startup, such as uncertainties associated with charting a new path, a cozy working space, and a restricted ability to pay salaries or perks competitive with private practice. Having said that, these tradeoffs have been worth the fun ride so far. I'm confident Blue J will overcome these challenges as it grows and I can see that it has already come a long way since I joined almost a year ago.

Found 41 reviews