Boom Lab Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Boom Lab Reviews

Updated 5 Oct 2019

4.0
Pros
  • "I see people from the back office at my client every day where we get coffee and catch up(in 16 reviews)

• "Ability to have good work life balance (40 hours per week) if desired, or ability to work overtime to receive yearly bonus (depending on client)(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The starting salary is a bit below industry average (although the raise structure is quite generious compared to(in 4 reviews)

• "Functions more like a staffing agency than a true consulting firm(in 3 reviews)

"Values Client Over Employee"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed meeting young professionals my age (although you only see each other at training or happy hours, you get split into different client locations)

Cons

- Don’t live up to anything they promise during recruiting - They value their client relationships over their employees well-being and even safety - They claim they’re a consultant company but it’s just a glorified temp agency disguised with monthly happy hours and a ‘community’ - When serious concerns are brought to management, they brush them off as “venting” and don’t take any action I was excited to start... working for this company, but found my experience to be very different than what was sold to me. Additionally, I know my experience has not been unique - I have had talked to about 7 former employees that had very similar experiences (all within the same year). I would advise anyone considering to work for this company to ask multiple employees/former employees about their experience.

Boom Lab2019-10-05
  2. "Overall"

Current Employee - Project Manager Associate I

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time

Pros

Great company! First Friday's are fun and the company offers a lot of training courses. I would highly suggest starting here to explore what you want.

Cons

They don't pay out PTO

Boom Lab2019-08-10

Boom Lab Response

September 27, 2019Recruiter

We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time with Boom Lab! We are proud to announce that effective January 1, 2020, we are implementing an unlimited PTO policy for all Boom Lab consultants. Because PTO is unlimited (thus not accrued), employees will not receive compensation for unused PTO time when leaving the organization.

3. "Consultant Managers are unhelpful, extractive model with no overtime but 50hrs normal. Staff Augmentation."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to learn and see different companies/industries

Cons

Management which sometimes view you as a resource not a person - underpayment - wage theft

Advice to Management

Fix your acquisitions or more people will leave, quicker.

Boom Lab2019-08-08

Boom Lab Response

September 3, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; we take reviews very seriously. Every Boom Lab consultant is salaried, so you are correct that we don’t pay overtime, but we do care deeply about work life balance and we offer our utilization bonus to help recognize consultants who put in many hours. As is always the case with consulting, projects vary and there certainly will be busy times, but our consultants average about 43 hours a week annually. Furthermore, if a project becomes unbalanced with hours worked, we encourage consultants to reach out so we can address it, and would strongly encourage you make your consultant manager or delivery team aware if you are consistently billing more than 50 hours. Thanks again for your review!

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was an amazing place to start my career. I had the opportunity to learn about the IT industry in an interesting way from personal experiences with multiple clients, and other employees across experience levels. They actively invested in training, supporting, and guiding employees.

Cons

The only negative I heard from multiple people involved the salary and bonus structure, but this was not an issue for me personally.

Boom Lab2019-07-16

"Decent first job after college"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Boom Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance, well known clients, good opportunity to network and build your professional skills.

Cons

Low salary and weak benefits package compared to competitors , passive aggressive company culture, and very little opportunity to move between clients if you need a change.

Advice to Management

Stop the "Minnesota Nice" attitude and create an actual competitive salary and benefits package for your new consultants. Also, make sure the consultant managers actually care for their consultants' career progression rather than just sugar code things and suggest them to stay with their clients for years if all is well and they are making the company good money. Finally, hire more diverse class of consultants.... Majority of the new Boom Labbers are of caucasian- upper middle class- small private liberal arts college educated midwesterners and that does not create a comfortable environment for minorities within the new class.

Boom Lab2019-06-19

"Strong Values"

Current Employee - Busineess Analyst

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong values that the company embraces daily. Very supportive back office that thinks of you as a person and not just a number. They provide the tools and resources at your disposal. Growing company with a lot of new opportunities on the horizon. Small but competitive with a lot of the bigger firms.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end of the industry average but it's part of their business model, being the "value" consulting firm. Boom Lab prides itself in "being the match". Sometimes you may get stuck on projects that may not align with your career goals per se and there's nothing worse than being on a project for a year+ that isn't geared toward what you want to do. It can be frustrating and sometimes difficult to... move out of a misaligned project.

Advice to Management

3 things: 1. Don't lose sight on your core business values and people as you venture into uncharted territories with expansion. I hope the company isn't expanding too fast and the company can handle such rapid change. 2. I would consider recommending wages to continue to attract top talent and to prevent people from converting/ leaving. It seems that the company tends to have high turnover which is... unfortunate as there have been a lot of good people who left very early in their professional careers. 3. Provide a dashboard or channel to view prior projects consultants have been on to help aid consultants into thinking what types of future projects they may want to work on in the future. This makes the transition easier if the consultant knows what's out there and can help the consultant get the right training to set them up for that future project. This provides more transparency, helps the consultants career goals, and ultimately increases satisfaction with consultants and their retention.

Boom Lab2019-05-16
  7. "Growth & Learning"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free trainings and certifications, social gatherings at least monthly, super easy to network with more experienced employees, changing projects every 6 months to 2 years allows for resume building with top companies in the Midwest. Annual review which is generally a promotion and pay raise. Continuous feedback. Not all people would be a good fit but if you are motivated and want to learn and be challenged, it's the... most amazing opportunity to work for Boom Lab.

Cons

Don't have a direct say in client location, position or project - which is only fair because it's mostly a timing game with client needs and consultant roll off dates.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and continue to manage/mentor consultants intentionally and directly as we continue to scale and grow across the nation.

Boom Lab2019-03-18
  8. "Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Project Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've found that the experience I've received in my first two years at Boom Lab is equivalent to that of peers years ahead of me in their career. I've received both my PMP and CSM certifications through Boom Lab's training courses, at no cost to me. I feel empowered to dictate the direction of my career, and my Consultant Manager has been extremely responsive to my feedback and requests. For example, I expressed... interest in a very specific project and client, and within weeks, I was made aware of an opportunity that fit my request. If you're looking for a culture that makes you feel heard, valued, and supported, I cannot recommend Boom Lab enough!

Cons

Wish there were more opportunities, outside of working from the Boom Lab office once a month (First Fridays), to connect with other Boom Lab consultants not at my client.

Boom Lab2019-02-26

"Best decision I ever made!"

Current Employee - Project Management Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was so excited to start at Boom Lab right out of college. Most of my classmates were trying to get an interview there, it was very sought out and competitive among business majors. They start you with a two week training course where you learn what it will be like at your first client, different tools and methods to use, and create a strong bond with your training class. I think the best part and one I consider to... be unique, is the community you get when you work there. I see people from the back office at my client every day where we get coffee and catch up. Their consultant managers are genuinely interested in how your work is going, how they can help you, and are sometimes the only people who understand the challenges of being a young consultant. I feel extremely engaged with the back office even though my day to day is at my client. There is a constant push to get you to grow in your career by getting certifications, trainings, and networking. I think it was the best decision I made coming out of college. I've experienced more than I expected in the short 7 months I've been there and made so many connections.

Cons

I've experienced an intense learning curve as a young IT consultant. It can be challenging at times but once I realized I could go to my consultant manager for advice or just to talk to, it made it a lot easier. It's a young company and they are unique in hiring people with little to no experience, but do a great job training them before they start working.

Advice to Management

I've been really happy with management. There is an incredible amount of visibility, and not only that, upper management actually wants to engage with their consultants. The energy at Boom Lab is very contagious, once you're there you realize everyone is energetic, hard working, and positive!

Boom Lab2019-02-06
  10. "Great Opportunity - Great Rewards"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Business Analyst

I have been working at Boom Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great place to get your career off to a fast start. Tons of large clients means a lot of opportunity, different cultures, and expanding on your hard skills to start your career. -Good support model for new grads. Won't feel like your left out to suffer at the client. Always there to help. -LOTS of training opportunities so no excuse to not advance your career. -Rewards hard work. If you put in the effort and... take time to advance in your career you will get rewarded. -Allows you to make the most of your experience. You aren't required to go to company events, but the more you put in the more enjoyment you get out! -Gain a lot of confidence about your career being surrounded by dynamic and hardworking peers. -High engagement with teams and transparency about what you want will get you further. If you are willing to step into something challenging, it will reward your career.

Cons

-Patience is key for the right opportunity. Won't be on a project you love right away, but if you ask around this is an industry standard. -Starting salary was lower, but aggressive raises comparatively. -Experience seems to vary for employees based on the roles they get early on in their career, some experience faster / slower growth based on projects they get.

Boom Lab2019-02-05