British Red Cross Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2020

3.2
British Red Cross Chief Executive Michael Adamson (no image)
Michael Adamson
  1. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Research in London, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, supportive environment to work. Pay and ts&cs were good and they care about their staff.

Cons

Lots of red tape, similar to different large NGO's I have worked at.

2. "Amazing team"

Current Employee - Casework Coordinator

I have been working at British Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to develop and attend training.

Cons

Pay and lack of practical support to respond to increase demand of the service.

3. "welcoming and nice to work with"

Former Employee - Shop Floor

I worked at British Red Cross part-time

Pros

line manager focused and willing to help, explained tasks and how to do things clearly and well

Cons

shop could get busy at times, difficult to handle

4. "Ambulance"

Former Employee - EMT Ground Ambulance

I worked at British Red Cross full-time

Pros

Good culture when at work

Cons

Lack of progression at work

5. "Friendly and supportive"

Former Employee - Administrative in Grantham, England

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

So many processes and procedures

6. "Really good training"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good office, Really good work-life balance

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

7. "Ideal job"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Lincoln, England

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not micro managed. Teams worked well together.

Cons

Projects set up and working well but then funding stopped for various reasons. No job security

8. "Poor Management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at British Red Cross part-time for less than a year

Pros

Job itself was straightforward. Volunteers were good to work with.

Cons

Expected to work through lunch hour for free if no volunteers were in. Refused all my holiday requests because manager thought I could be at work and still take holiday. Didn't understand that because I was only on a 7 hour contract that if I came in for 1 day that week then I hadn't taken my holiday allowance. Expected me to work nearly ever Saturday even though these should have been split between the manager and me. Would text me at all times, evenings, weekends - I wasn't allowed to have a day off, I had to be available to answer her questions at all times. Manager threatened to cancel my training due to her personal issues (this is what she said herself via text message). This was a 7 hour part-time role yet felt like full-time. I lasted less than 3 months because of how the manager treated me. It just wasn't worth the hassle for 7 hours a week at minimum wage.

Continue reading

"Be cautious and ask to look where you'll be working before agreeing to the role."

1.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some colleagues were lovely Range of training you can partake in, however none of it was helpful to the actual job role I was doing

Cons

They lie to you in the interview about what the job entails, I specifically asked in the interview about the amount of phone work I'd have to do and they said very little if any. It was all phone work to the point it was very similar to a call centre job! it's pretty much a call centre type job stuck on the phones all the time People in management roles are inadequate No sense of ownership especially when a customer issue arises. For example the sales teams don't care unless they can make money out of the caller, otherwise it's passed on to the customer care even though it's sales which created the issue in the first place. As a customer service administrator you are left to take all the negatives from customers such as cancelled training sessions and you are left to give them shoddy explanations. Also lots of non first aid training calls come through to your line some are from people who are in desperate need and you are left with no training on how to deal with this and are blamed that they came through to the wrong number. You literally have to 'pass them on' and are left feeling guilty that you couldn't help.

Continue reading

"Good place to work but decision making could be slow"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at British Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good at connecting staff to the work of the BRC and wider Red Cross and who we were there to support. Large organisation with opportunities for secondment and development.

Cons

Teams are quite siloed and it was sometimes hard to cut across this. More leadership needed from senior management to support the organisational changes and to speed up decision making.

Found 191 reviews