Brooklyn Museum Intern Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Brooklyn Museum Intern Reviews

Updated 21 Nov 2015

Found 3 reviews

3.9
Brooklyn Museum CEO Anne Pasternak (no image)
Anne Pasternak
  1. "Best place to be an arts admin intern"

Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum

Pros

- Creative ideas encouraged - Can work/attend parties - Environment is relaxed and fun

Cons

- No pay whatsoever. - Hardly any opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

Allow an intern to grow within the organization if appropriate. Hiring rates are extremely slow.

Brooklyn Museum2015-11-22
  2. "Great environment for arts internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Brooklyn Museum for less than a year

Pros

Everybody at the museum is super willing to help, they keep a very positive attitude. They have a lot of events/ parties within the museum community so overall a very pleasant environment. Departments are small so you get to know curators in person. You also get a membership card for the Heart of Brooklyn consortium.

Cons

Zero upward mobility. Very slow work days. Even though my supervisors were willing to assign me tasks, there wasn't much intellectually stimulating work for anyone apart from the curators. No matter how well you perform, your internship most likely won't turn into a full-time offer. Low salaries.

Advice to Management

No experience with management.

Brooklyn Museum2013-10-04
  3. "Amazing Place to Start a Museum Career"

Former Employee - Education Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Brooklyn Museum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at BK Museum as an intern is like working with a family. People from all levels and departments are supportive and caring and want each you to succeed. Structure of internship gives a lot of responsibility and visibility into the inner workings of the museum. The research paper component allows for the interns to come away with a piece of work that is tangible and shows the depth of what was learned in the... 10 months.

Cons

There is a high turn over and the compensation is very low. It is an internship in the arts, but it's also a full time job for 10 months, so the amount that I was paid in the time that I did it was very hard to survive on. Also difficult to have another job as there is so much work to do there is little time for much else.

Advice to Management

Provide more support in terms of finding a job beyond the BK Museum after the internship.

Brooklyn Museum2013-03-26