CARFAX Reviews

Updated 2 Jun 2020

4.2
CARFAX President Richard Raines
Richard Raines
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance and generous time off(in 86 reviews)

• "You will never have to explain to a customer what CARFAX is(in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because it's such a fun place to work, a lot of people will gladly stay at CARFAX even though they could be earning 10-25% more somewhere else(in 44 reviews)

• "Nothing in my mind negative about CARFAX and there are no cons from my view(in 16 reviews)

1. "Carfax really cares about it’s employees"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very Transparent, Communication is great, They do good by their employees

Cons

Very lateral company with infrequent opportunities for promotions on the field side.

CARFAX2020-06-02
  2. "Great place to work!"

I worked at CARFAX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Carfax takes great care of their employees. They are valued, given autonomy, and collaborate well.

Cons

Parent company is slashing budgets. Bonuses and raises getting smaller.

CARFAX2020-05-08
  3. "Love being part of #teamcarfax"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My colleagues and the atmosphere

Cons

Can’t think of any to date

CARFAX2020-05-04
  4. "Together we're on a mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great mission, culture, team, and work-life balance

Cons

Benefits used to be amazing but are just ok now

CARFAX2020-04-27
  5. "New Hire(Columbia, MO) - Has been a great place to work so far"

Current Employee - Cloud Software Engineer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for less than a year

Pros

People. That's the best thing here. You are not only working with a bunch of smart minds, but also people who are really nice to you. Work is really cool too. You are gradually exposed to different components of system and are appreciated enough to take the charge.

Cons

N/A. Too soon to comment.

CARFAX2020-04-23
  6. "good company"

I worked at CARFAX full-time

Pros

company cares for employees in all business units

Cons

they factor in total compensation with benefits for salary

CARFAX2020-04-22

"Wonderful organization"

Former Employee - Regional Acquisition Manager

I worked at CARFAX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CARFAX was a fantastic place to work for 6+ years. I have never been at a company where every single employee is treated like a critical member of the team from the top down. And "top down" is a loose term as it's a flat organization where you'll typically only have to answer to your direct boss. Richard Raines has a way of getting the most out of his employees without putting negative pressure on them. Instead, every employee is given a chance to vote on a yearly basis what is important to the them and the company. This simple but vital process really helps push the company towards a common team goal. The "team" and "one goal" concept is a big part of what makes CARFAX successful and such great place to work. One of the first things you'll see if you take a position here are the "gears" that make the company run. It might seem cheesy at first, but once you get an understanding of how CARFAX works, it really helps illustrate the importance of everyone's role. Like any great organization, CARFAX will give you more than enough resources and surround you with enough smart and talented people to be successful. But it's up to you to make it happen. If you're not comfortable with lofty goals and being able to quickly pivot your focus when needed, this is not the company for you. The vacation time is generous (and quite frankly way more than you'll ever need or use), the compensation is on the plus side of fair and the annual Employee Appreciation Party is a great event. There is also a stock plan with the parent company IHS that is very favorable, as is the 401K match. If you're based out of the corporate office in Centreville, there are also free lunches, clinics and tons of company sponsored events. And people actually participate which is not always the case at a lot of companies. Overall, the people is what makes CARFAX such a great company. But it certainly helps that it's such a strong (and recognizable) product/brand. You will never have to explain to a customer what CARFAX is. You might correct them on confusion between CARFAX and Carmax but that's about it. Think of CARFAX as the Amazon of the vehicle data world. On the surface it seems like they do one thing. But when you dig deeper into the company, there are silos all over the place creating new markets and revenue opportunities. There is no company in the industry that can come close to that.

Cons

- There is an unfortunate byproduct of a successful but flat organization, and that is you'll eventually run out of ways to promote or compensate your A-players. Because it's such a fun place to work, a lot of people will gladly stay at CARFAX even though they could be earning 10-25% more somewhere else. But I've also seen a lot of talented people voluntarily leave positions at CARFAX when they were top performers on their team. I'm not necessarily saying exceptions need to be made, but there should be more of a consistent "at goal" number. No one likes having a good year and finding out they would've earned much more 2 years ago. - The parent company of CARFAX is IHS and while it's largely insulated from them, there are some trickle down policies that have made CARFAX seem like less of a private company and more of a corporate arm. I'm not talking about yearly SOX or harassment training which comes with any public company, but the healthcare plan has significantly declined over the years. Over 6 years the same level of coverage went up 120%. The other benefits stayed great, but health care coverage consistently went up.

CARFAX2020-04-15

"Some benefits, but not worth it for healthcare or long-term career goals."

Former Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Centreville, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at CARFAX full-time for more than a year

Pros

- My direct manager was pretty fantastic and I appreciated his leadership. He was probably the only reason I stuck around so long since he made things more bearable. - The amount of vacation time was nice. - Some of the community events (i.e. the annual 5k, the Bike to the Beach event, etc) were definitely a lot of fun and will be one of the things I might miss.

Cons

- The healthcare options are honestly terrible. My low salary made this factor even worse, since the out of pocket maximums and lack of coverage put a large strain on my budget. Also, the super peppy "we're one of the best places to work!!" company attitude quickly became grating and genuinely frustrating after they rolled out the new healthcare plans. - I did some market research and discovered I was being incredibly underpaid (i.e. making 5-9k less than the average salary for my role). There's also a strong culture of keeping salary information/compensation secret among employees. HR seemed to have its own justifications for these things, but both of these factors were huge tipping points for me. - This isn't a great working environment for someone who's in the LGBTQ+ community, especially if you're transgender. Your mileage may vary depending on your department, but in my experience, people openly made derogatory comments and "jokes" about transgender people within a clear earshot of anyone in the same cubicle area. My experience also had a lot of garden variety racism and sexism (i.e. which women were wearing "revealing" clothing at the TAP was a conversation that came up multiple times). Sitting at work really felt like sitting in a middle school cafeteria at times. - You may be offered a new role. It will feel like you're being offered an upgrade to your current role. In actuality, if you accept this new role, your salary will not change significantly despite the new responsibility. If you're in a field with plenty of opportunities elsewhere (i.e. software dev, marketing, sales), I'm not sure why you'd stay here for very long. There's not a lot of career development (but there are many "cog in the machine" type roles). - Depending on your department, you might not have updated tools and processes for your job.

CARFAX2020-04-19
  9. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Systems Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very flexible work environment

Cons

Some distrust of leadership team at times

CARFAX2020-04-03
  10. "So far so much better than good!"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Admirable senior leadership and executive team - Amazing Playbook that not only outlines our culture but lives and breathes it - Upcoming office move to new fresh space - Thankful for how the organization has handled the global pandemic - Competitive pay and perks!

Cons

- None to date and based on reviews and feedback from tenured employees and people managers, this positive feeling doesn't diminish with tenure!

CARFAX2020-04-01